Tomahawk Training: Books, Equipment, Hands-On, & VHS/DVDs

Thanks FSCJedi.
Glad you did that, I went back and read it all again and got some more ideas.
Well now I'm all manner of flattered, Dwight!
I finally looked at the Sama Sama event. I certainly enjoyed the stuff. The sparing was interesting, and while I'm all for it, someone needs to stop the action after the opponents have stabbed each other 15-20 times. Otherwise no negatives for me. Love the target work and I really liked the idea of being outside and the 'field orientation' of the event. There seems to be some 'Heart' put into this curriculum that you don't see often.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The knife fights that went on for minutes seemed a little unrealistic to me, but that's really why I liked the 'hawk sequence - it was just brutal, vicious, and to the point. Death usually in three moves or less.
FYI we start training tomorrow on the fight sets and technique sequences for the video. Meeting with Paladin's Video was 100% success. Storyboards and layout for the book are complete (as I'm going get them...ideas keep jumping up) We have a dialoque/script but God knows, we'll never follow it, the whole thing will probably end up like watching 'American Chopper' with everyone yelling at each other.
LOL. Well, I hope it goes well, Dwight. I'm sure the finished product will be just fine! Either way, I wanna pre-order it (both the video, and the book... and any training tools you might choose to do as a package deal. hint, hint. ;))
At request I've included some footwork both European and some conceptual stuff based on the American Indian War-Dance and Animal movement.
Oooooh, now I'm very interested! This sounds like what might have actually been used with 'hawk fighting. The American Indians wouldn't have had the benefit of dueling colleges, but we all know they did War-Dance stuff, a lot of it based on Animal movement (if I'm correct). This just keeps getting better, Dwight! I can't wait till I see the final product!
I am trying to stick to some core fundamentals and less to the whiz bang advanced stuff. If you would like I'll keep you guys posted. Just remember there are no guarntees on how this thing will turn out. The book that will be published along the same time will pretty much follow the dvd with lots of sequences. I've been advised that I should not be sharing this stuff on the net but the sincerity and professionalism of this forum . Keep your fingers crossed that we pull this one off, successfully.
Please, please, PLEASE keep us informed! I know I'm personally hanging on every little tidbit you leak out to us here! Haha. :D

Last edited:
Interesting. We don't seem to have a moderator for this forum, so I'll go along with FSCJedi's request and make this thread a sticky.

Interesting. We don't seem to have a moderator for this forum, so I'll go along with FSCJedi's request and make this thread a sticky.
Wow, thanks! Now everyone can enjoy this info without having to search for it! :cool: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited the original post to include a link to Dwight's new tomahawk training DVDs! :thumbup:

I've had Dwight's The Fighting Tomahawk book for a few months now and have found it to be a great resource! NOW, I received the DVD for Christmas and am going through it as a quick review before I start using the segments for learning and practicing. So far it has been an AWESOME video, I'm through with the 1st and half the 2nd DVD of the 3DVD set so far. :)

I also received The Fighting Staff by Dwight for Xmas and am excited about putting the two to practical use. I need to get into the Big Blades now too! :) Awesome instructional materials one and all!

Hey Jeremy: As you know I bought a quanity of these two or three years ago when I had the school operating. When I retired, I handed them over to Steve Huff who has brought them to ISMAC every year since then. They have held up really well and are excellent for introducing 1st timers to manuplation exercises.

All My Best
Dwight

I have just finished reading Dwight's Volume II on the Fighting Tomahawk and it is EXCELLENT! I would have to recommend both Volumes and his videos highly! I also got the Bowie and Big Knife Fighting book and the Advanced book, so I'll be putting all five resources together in my training along with the Staff book info! Great series Dwight!! :)

Howdy ,

If you want to be good with the hawk learn Reverse grip knife fighting:D

Seriously ....Tomahawks are used like a knife in reverse grip, the handle is just an extension of the arm, the edge of the hawk takes the place of the point of the knife but the same moves work for both.

All the hooking and clearing of limbs that a hawk can do are mimicked by what the knife held in reverse grip does, hook clear deliver point or edge, I like the Gransfors bruks wildlife or mini hatchets best, no silly spike to hook yourself with and are light sharp and fast.

All the best,

Jim

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking all over for training materials on the hawk' I've got Dwight's three partbook/dvd ( or is it only VHS???) set first on the list. I also just bookmarked the site for the trainers. I thought about hitting a Tap Plastics store and see what they could fab up, but you have taken a ton of footwork out my search. Thanks Bro!

-E.B. Knucklehead

I just downloaded some knife and tomahawk pod casts by Peter Brusso and was wondering what some other folks might think about his training methods?

Hey guys, I'm VERY happy to see that his has continued to be a great resource for those looking to delve into the combat aspects of the tomahawk. I also appreciate the additional resources being linked above! If anyone has a review of the Modern Combative hawk DVD linked above, I'd sure like to know!

Hey guys, I'm VERY happy to see that his has continued to be a great resource for those looking to delve into the combat aspects of the tomahawk. I also appreciate the additional resources being linked above! If anyone has a review of the Modern Combative hawk DVD linked above, I'd sure like to know!

Hey where have you been? I’m fairly new here, but I have enjoyed your past post.

Back