Toohr #3 knife sharpener

Keep an eye out, sometimes it is listed for under 70 bucks. That's when you should jump on it.
We're talking AliExpress right ? Cause I see it for $130 there right now. I'm sure shipping would push it to $200.
Never bought anything from there, always felt it was fishy but what do I know ?

Still waiting like a kid on Christmas for Grit to get the Kazak Pro Blacks in but I dont see it in the near future.

We're talking AliExpress right ? Cause I see it for $130 there right now. I'm sure shipping would push it to $200.
Never bought anything from there, always felt it was fishy but what do I know ?

Still waiting like a kid on Christmas for Grit to get the Kazak Pro Blacks in but I dont see it in the near future.
Yep, here is one that's very very well priced at the moment for 67 bucks and 20 bucks shipping -

I've used AliExpress successfully many times, only thing is - shipping can be very slow and you often wait weeks before your tracking number shows in the international system.

I've used AliExpress successfully many times, only thing is - shipping can be very slow and you often wait weeks before your tracking number shows in the international system.
Yes, but depending on the seller it can be really fast. It's the luck of the draw with shipping. o_O o_O o_O :thumbsup:

I received my toohr knife sharpener unfortunately the package was damaged and the guide rod was missing I contacted toohr for a replacement they really need to improve there packaging the parts are free to move around and damage each other and fall out.
One thing I noticed was the vertical rod bushes are a loose fit fortunately they are quite easy to remove and I have ordered some replacements from AliExpress will see if they are a tighter fit.

Yep, here is one that's very very well priced at the moment for 67 bucks and 20 bucks shipping -

I never see the pricing as nice as you mention :)

I clicked your link and while the unit is priced good, the shipping is $109.

If it had been $67 with $20 shipping I would buy another. Not sure why but can't pass up a great deal.

If it had been $67 with $20 shipping I would buy another. Not sure why but can't pass up a great deal.
It's crazy how shipping is calculated depending on what address you enter. Mine shows 20 bucks for shipping. :oops:

That’s the same shipping price I saw. I was going to buy it for that just to start learning how to use one.

It's crazy how shipping is calculated depending on what address you enter. Mine shows 20 bucks for shipping. :oops:

Yup, from the TooHR store to Canada mine was $98 Canadian shipping, but it came through Fedex so it was extremely fast. I have seen some countries also get free shipping on them which would have been really nice.
I received my toohr knife sharpener unfortunately the package was damaged and the guide rod was missing I contacted toohr for a replacement they really need to improve there packaging the parts are free to move around and damage each other and fall out.
One thing I noticed was the vertical rod bushes are a loose fit fortunately they are quite easy to remove and I have ordered some replacements from AliExpress will see if they are a tighter fit.
You could also ask them for a replacement for the bushings or the whole piece if it is that loose. Unfortunately sometimes the quality is a bit more miss that hit but overall seems to be quite good.

Yup, from the TooHR store to Canada mine was $98 Canadian shipping, but it came through Fedex so it was extremely fast. I have seen some countries also get free shipping on them which would have been really nice.

You could also ask them for a replacement for the bushings or the whole piece if it is that loose. Unfortunately sometimes the quality is a bit more miss that hit but overall seems to be quite good.
I received the bushings I ordered they fit perfectly
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £0.64 | 1PCS JDB Graphite Lubricating Brass Bearing Bushing Sleeve Oilless ID 8MM OD 12 8x12x25 8x12x12 8x12x15 8x12x16 8x12x20

When you guys ordered this sharperner, was there any custom tax on it here in the states ? What you paid on Ali is what everything was in total ?

Has anyone had problems with the angle changing when rotating blade sides? Mine changes by about .5 to .8 degree after rotating and I have to adjust the angle each time I switch sides.

Has anyone had problems with the angle changing when rotating blade sides? Mine changes by about .5 to .8 degree after rotating and I have to adjust the angle each time I switch sides.

Do you mean the angle on the tower jumps down constantly every time you rotate it, or merely a difference of 0.5 degrees between sides?

If it's a difference between 2 sides of the rotating clamp unit, then I would advise against changing your angle every time. It's more consistent to only check and measure your angle on the same side of the blade every time you sharpen or switch stones. If the angle on the other side is within a degree or so, then it is better to ignore it completely and just stick to always measuring on the same side of the blade and rotating clamp assembly. This will give more consistent results.

Do you mean the angle on the tower jumps down constantly every time you rotate it, or merely a difference of 0.5 degrees between sides?

If it's a difference between 2 sides of the rotating clamp unit, then I would advise against changing your angle every time. It's more consistent to only check and measure your angle on the same side of the blade every time you sharpen or switch stones. If the angle on the other side is within a degree or so, then it is better to ignore it completely and just stick to always measuring on the same side of the blade and rotating clamp assembly. This will give more consistent results.
That is exactly what I mean, the angle stays constant, it is just .5 to .8 different between each side. Thanks for the advice. I will try it

Off-topic a bit. I am overall happy with the TooHr but can’t stop from being tempted by the Hapstone R2. Is it significantly better? The TooHr is nice but I find it a bit cumbersome even thought it does the job fantastically. I have the Katbrava clamps which were a big improvement but I have my on the Hapstone adjustable clamps and for the price of those, I am tempted to just get the R2 and be done with it. The scissors module is very appealing as well.

That is exactly what I mean, the angle stays constant, it is just .5 to .8 different between each side. Thanks for the advice. I will try it

Off-topic a bit. I am overall happy with the TooHr but can’t stop from being tempted by the Hapstone R2. Is it significantly better? The TooHr is nice but I find it a bit cumbersome even thought it does the job fantastically. I have the Katbrava clamps which were a big improvement but I have my on the Hapstone adjustable clamps and for the price of those, I am tempted to just get the R2 and be done with it. The scissors module is very appealing as well.

You can't go wrong with a Hapstone R2, it's still one of my favorites among all my systems.

The TooHR will be equally accurate compared to the Hapstone R2. A big upgrade for the TooHR will be Hapstone R2 standard angled clamps. Up to you (for the price of the clamps) if you want to go all in with the rest of the R2 system. I'd say go for it, and then decide between both systems which parts you like best. You should easily be able to sell the other system here on Blade Forums.

Okay. I read through this entire thread and am thinking on ordering one. Given the cheapness of ordering replacement “likely to go wrong” bits like the bushings, I figure I’ll just order them as well in case so I am not waiting for them.

1. There was a thread with a lot of options for bushings here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/toohr-3-knife-sharpener.1886171/page-12

If I am going to do it, which one is the best? The self-lubricating ones?

2. Basically plan on soaking everything with degreaser,

3. There were a couple of washers that need replacement? anyone know what size?

4. 777 Edge 777 Edge has designed a bunch of parts for it. But I saw some clamps were in and out of stock. I want to sharpen pocket knives, scissors, and kitchen knives, what do I need?

5. The stones are crap, correct? So assuming I want to go for mirror finishes, just buy Venevs and the rest?

Basically beyond the actual sharpener what should my shopping list look like?

Okay. I read through this entire thread and am thinking on ordering one. Given the cheapness of ordering replacement “likely to go wrong” bits like the bushings, I figure I’ll just order them as well in case so I am not waiting for them.

1. There was a thread with a lot of options for bushings here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/toohr-3-knife-sharpener.1886171/page-12

If I am going to do it, which one is the best? The self-lubricating ones?

2. Basically plan on soaking everything with degreaser,

3. There were a couple of washers that need replacement? anyone know what size?

4. 777 Edge 777 Edge has designed a bunch of parts for it. But I saw some clamps were in and out of stock. I want to sharpen pocket knives, scissors, and kitchen knives, what do I need?

5. The stones are crap, correct? So assuming I want to go for mirror finishes, just buy Venevs and the rest?

Basically beyond the actual sharpener what should my shopping list look like?

Venev resin based diamond stones will serve you well, no doubt. You can get a pretty good mirror polish out of the fine grits already but if you want to go even further then get a strop with diamond compound like Gunny juice. Start with only 1 micron if you want to simplify it. Get yourself a nice storage case for the stones and strops.

The basic colored aluminum oxide stones that come with the TooHR is junk. Just throw those away. If you get diamond plated stones with your TooHR, keep them - those are great.

As for the TooHR, I wouldn't buy any extra parts just yet. Most of these are just fine and not in need of replacement parts. If your bearings are gritty, just give them a clean out.

As for a set of clamps, get the Hapstone Standard angled clamps. They will do most of what you need. Be sure to order the Gearconnect adapters with them and ask for longer bolts from Gritomatic. Tell them it's for the TooHR when you order them.

For scissors and any other weird shaped or difficult knives, get the Leading Edge core upgrade. It has a scissors clamp, and the magnetic platform is very versatile on any of those difficult-to-clamp knives.

Here are some links for you:

Last edited:
Thanks. That is awesome. Now to figure out which ones come with the diamond plates. The one I have in my Ali cart is no whetstones. But might as well find the right one.

This one has the wrong stones, right?

Correct, those stones are complete junk. The diamond plates are silver in color.

Anyone able to tell me what these parts are for?

I assume the two locking ones are for extra arms of some sort but no idea what the black one is for.

I still probably need to a full rebuild just to tighten and clean everything up, but it is a pretty nice piece for the money as far as I can tell and once I get it sorted and get my stones, I expect to revise my opinion upwards.

Anyone able to tell me what these parts are for?

I assume the two locking ones are for extra arms of some sort but no idea what the black one is for.

I still probably need to a full rebuild just to tighten and clean everything up, but it is a pretty nice piece for the money as far as I can tell and once I get it sorted and get my stones, I expect to revise my opinion upwards.

Unfortunately I didn't see your response before the picture expired. How are you liking the sharpener so far?

The Hapstone R2 Opti clamps are working pretty good for me so far
xDRXkcVh.jpg

Back