1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Top Secret Plans! - Titanium and Silver Twill G10!

Discussion in 'Daniel Fairly Knives' started by Daniel Fairly Knives, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    It's going to be a

...wait it's a secret!

EDIT: Photos are here!

Hint - it weighs about an ounce and a half

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. PGeo00

PGeo00

Jan 27, 2012
    Ounce and a half... a patch?

3. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    Check it out!

I had an idea that I just had to turn to reality... I couldn't stop thinking about it! I wanted to make a really big and extremely ultra-light folder, here it is!

It's about 8.5" long and just weighs nothing.

This one is made from .090 Carbidized Titanium and Silver Twill G10, I couldn't think of anything lighter and stronger than this combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    50 grams total weight and nothing on it will rust!

5. PGeo00

PGeo00

Jan 27, 2012
    Holy smokes... that's cool :thumbup:

6. fast14riot

fast14riot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Holy rusted metal, Batman! I WANT IT! That is the ultimate office/workplace knife! Something like that will cut tape, paper and cardboard forever! Seriously dude, send me an email. You still want a downhill bike?! I got one...

-Xander

7. fast14riot

fast14riot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Better yet, I have some .040" ti and carbon fiber/kevlar/carbon fiber sandwich plate, I bet I can make one lighter! Oh and I bet that knife I gave you last year is lighter, too! Just not as usefull...

Wicked mang, wicked.

-X

8. IMWILSON

IMWILSON Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2011
    Daniel, you might as well quote everyone a price on this stunning creation and plan on doing a run of these!!! :D

9. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks!

Cool!

OK yours was lighter! But mine is about 10 times bigger! Hah... seriously though I wanted the folder to be big and light at the same time and it is! Thanks again!

:D Thanks! I really want to do a run of friction folders later this year.

I'm going to put some loc-tite on the hardware and put this one up for sale!

10. IMWILSON

May 20, 2011
    For those of us who don't mind the extra weight, maybe one with D2 or S7? Say around .125 thick?
    You know you want to, I know you've thought about it. :D

11. bigcountry1315

bigcountry1315

Aug 3, 2009
    Sweet Daniel! Great work!

12. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    OK, you busted me!!!

Now you really have me thinking, can you even buy a S7 folder? That would be way cool. I do have .125" in stock...

I'd like to make some in CPM-3V as well. It has higher wear resistance than D2 and is almost as tough as S7. D2 would be super cool as well.

Thanks BC!

13. IMWILSON

May 20, 2011
    Now you have me thinking! Never heard of an S7 folder, heck you hardly hear of any knife made of S7.
    CPM-3V would be sweet!! Be thinking about it. Might be something we can do after the 2 I have
    on order with you. S7 friction folder........humm

14. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Sounds like a plan! They are a big goal for me to get done this year, I am excited to have them in the works. I do think the bulk of them will be in steel; S7 and 3V seem to be the two steels I am leaning to for my future knives.

15. sloth357

sloth357 Platinum m0f0 Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Wheres mine? jeez. :)

16. IMWILSON

May 20, 2011
    S7 and 3V.......either one would be great.

17. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    I'm thinking by late summer there will be some for everyone! :D

Cool!

18. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Wow Daniel,that is sweet.Love the silver twill & Ti combo.

How about a pocket clip in Ti too?

19. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks! Ti pocket clips are in the future plans for sure.

20. IMWILSON

May 20, 2011
    Dang, can't beat that for service; ask the maan for a pocket clip and he says, sure, already in the plans!!