TOPS BOB Fieldcraft Knife ?

I was really close to picking one up, after reading the review on Woodsmonkey. It's not really a scandi grind, more like a convexed saber type. I thought about it for a couple of days, because it is a damn good looking knife and the reviews have all been favorable. Ended up getting a BIC from Gravelle on the maker's forums instead, for just a little more than the TOPS price. Still thinking about it though.

Im really thinking about it...can get one for $110 shipped new so its not bad..the only bad thing I have heard is complaints on the belt clip on the sheath..Not sure why they would not make it removable so you would just put clips on it like an ESEE sheath.

I hate to type anything negative about anyone, but I did buy the knife and long story short, I wound up giving it away to my brother-in-law. The reasons being that the "shango notch" does virtually nothing in terms of sparking the firesteel. I removed the coating along the spine and grinded it best I could so that I could use the spine to spark the firesteel, and it is a bit better, but for whatever reason I would have to regrind the spine again every so often because it would wear down after sparking a firesteel just a few times. I compare this knife to my Moras where I have grind the spine and they spark like flame throwers in comparison and I have as yet to regrind them. Also, the laminated steel of a Mora is much more to my liking. I love the Scandi grind, and I love full tang blades, and I had high hopes for this one and unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations.

I did contact TOPs however to modify the Fieldcrat knife, to where the spine has no coating and have them more professionally regrind it so it can spark a firesteel much better, but it has been 3 months now, and I give up on them. Telling me they have no ETA after 3 months is not acceptable as I was hoping to have one ready for my summer outings this year. I can understand the wait for a single custom knife maker, not them. Especially frustrating is when they initially said "4 to 6 weeks." Whatever happened to "under promising and over delivering" when it comes to business practices. . .

Does anyone know of a full tang, scandi grind knife that comes with a synthetic sheath which holds a firesteel as well and has the spine grinded to spark it? Also I would like the pommel extended beyond the handle so as to pound with it. Such a knife kit would be my dream knife. I did try to convince Mora on their facebook page to create one, alas they referred me to get their bushcraft knife, which I also did get, but the sheath leaves a lot to be desired and I am not a fan of stainless steel blades as I am way better at sharpening carbon steel blades. Anyways if anyone can refer to me such a blade I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I hate to type anything negative about anyone, but I did buy the knife and long story short, I wound up giving it away to my brother-in-law. The reasons being that the "shango notch" does virtually nothing in terms of sparking the firesteel. I removed the coating along the spine and grinded it best I could so that I could use the spine to spark the firesteel, and it is a bit better, but for whatever reason I would have to regrind the spine again every so often because it would wear down after sparking a firesteel just a few times. I compare this knife to my Moras where I have grind the spine and they spark like flame throwers in comparison and I have as yet to regrind them. Also, the laminated steel of a Mora is much more to my liking. I love the Scandi grind, and I love full tang blades, and I had high hopes for this one and unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations.

I did contact TOPs however to modify the Fieldcrat knife, to where the spine has no coating and have them more professionally regrind it so it can spark a firesteel much better, but it has been 3 months now, and I give up on them. Telling me they have no ETA after 3 months is not acceptable as I was hoping to have one ready for my summer outings this year. I can understand the wait for a single custom knife maker, not them. Especially frustrating is when they initially said "4 to 6 weeks." Whatever happened to "under promising and over delivering" when it comes to business practices. . .

Does anyone know of a full tang, scandi grind knife that comes with a synthetic sheath which holds a firesteel as well and has the spine grinded to spark it? Also I would like the pommel extended beyond the handle so as to pound with it. Such a knife kit would be my dream knife. I did try to convince Mora on their facebook page to create one, alas they referred me to get their bushcraft knife, which I also did get, but the sheath leaves a lot to be desired and I am not a fan of stainless steel blades as I am way better at sharpening carbon steel blades. Anyways if anyone can refer to me such a blade I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

How well did it cut and feel in hand??

The Shango notch on my...uh...Shango:p...works fine, though it needed the coating removed along the edge of the striking face. Wonder if there's a difference in heat treatment. Sorry to hear about your poor customer service experience.

In terms of cutting and handling. . . the edge did cut better than the other TOPS knife I have, a "Walk About." However, the scandi grind on it developed nicks faster than I expected for it because it is a fairly hefty knife as TOPS knives tend to be. I was able to sharpen away the nicks fairly easily though, one of the benefits of a scandi grind.

The handle was well suited for cutting and chopping, and it is its best feature. My hand did not feel fatigued while handling it as quickly as it would with other knife handles. I do not like the Shango notch though, and even read a review, I forget where, or was it youtube, that pretty much echoed the same sentiments as me. The sheath was fine as I do prefer synthetic sheaths over leather.

For me, I enjoy doing bushcraft. I love the ability to start a fire with my knife and a firesteel. So, even though my concerns about the knife may seem trivial to some, for me it is important. This knife failed in that. And for such a pricey knife, I am disappointed. I am willing to pay a premium for a knife, but expect premium performance and service. I did not get it. But again, the concept is great. It just needs to perform! Ideally, a Fieldcraft type knife, but lighter and the ability to spark a flame from the spine, versus a small crevice at the pommel.

Again, I did ask for modifications. They initially said they can do them with a 4 to 6 week wait. After over 3 months, and never giving me a definitive answer in terms of a time frame or any extra price, of which I was willing to prepay, yes, I am disappointed. Especially with summer fast approaching.

I read the review on the not knowing how to use the notch , but the one I read said the guy got a call about it and they told him he was just doing it wrong and once he tried it again correctly it worked fine, there is another youtube vid with a guy that uses it to start a fire with the firesteel and one with the firebow indention, both seemed to work like they were suppose to, he had fire with notch and firesteel in about 1min and the firebow only took like 5min including creating the fireboard notch and all. I would have to try it to know for sure of coarse. But then again some knives are just not for some folks, everyone has their preferences. I know there are some knife designs I just cant see me even trying out there.

The customer service issue does suck, Im not real familiar with TOPs track record. I can say what your asking is sort of out of the norm and along the lines of custom mods, but the fact that they said it could be done in a certain time is the reason I can see being unhappy, maybe the rep spoke out of turn, either way they should know by now and be able to give you some sort of expectation for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqdbLa4BOgI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79VczB8apXE&feature=relmfu

Last edited:
In terms of cutting and handling. . . the edge did cut better than the other TOPS knife I have, a "Walk About." However, the scandi grind on it developed nicks faster than I expected for it because it is a fairly hefty knife as TOPS knives tend to be. I was able to sharpen away the nicks fairly easily though, one of the benefits of a scandi grind.

The handle was well suited for cutting and chopping, and it is its best feature. My hand did not feel fatigued while handling it as quickly as it would with other knife handles. I do not like the Shango notch though, and even read a review, I forget where, or was it youtube, that pretty much echoed the same sentiments as me. The sheath was fine as I do prefer synthetic sheaths over leather.

For me, I enjoy doing bushcraft. I love the ability to start a fire with my knife and a firesteel. So, even though my concerns about the knife may seem trivial to some, for me it is important. This knife failed in that. And for such a pricey knife, I am disappointed. I am willing to pay a premium for a knife, but expect premium performance and service. I did not get it. But again, the concept is great. It just needs to perform! Ideally, a Fieldcraft type knife, but lighter and the ability to spark a flame from the spine, versus a small crevice at the pommel.

Again, I did ask for modifications. They initially said they can do them with a 4 to 6 week wait. After over 3 months, and never giving me a definitive answer in terms of a time frame or any extra price, of which I was willing to prepay, yes, I am disappointed. Especially with summer fast approaching.

Thank You for such a detailed answer

Looks like I'll pass this one by

Overall, I had high hopes for the blade. I do like that TOPS prides themselves on making USA made knives. Same reason I like ESEE. But I digress. In terms of using the knife to spark a fire steel, it has to be easy. Making a decent fire with matches and a lighter is difficult enough! With a fire steel and blade?! I like it to spark like fireworks. Again, when I compare the fire sparking abilities of the Fieldcraft vs the Mora knives I have, no comparison. Moras (after I grind the spines to a crisp 90 degree angle) are like flame throwers in comparison to the Fieldcraft. Also, a Mora blade costs literally 1/10th as much. I expected the Fieldcraft blade to be significantly better. In terms of customer service, under promise, over deliver is always a good adage from the get go.

It's not a scrape so much as a strike. Hold the knife vertical with the rod angled towards your target and do some controlled "stabs" at the rod with the striker. Hope that helps!

Bought my first "metal match" due to Angier suggesting it in one of his 1970's books. Never tried anything but a fast scrape.

Yeah a fast scrape works best with most strikers, but the Shango notch works best when "stabbing" with it.

About 3 weeks ago I bought a TOPS Pasayten.

A more detailed account will be at the end of the year.

I want to thank all the people who I pestered :thumbup:, and it seems to have been worth the deliberation.

Dc2005, that was a knife I had my eye on and you spared me from dissapointment. Thanks for posting an honest review.

In terms of cutting and handling. . . the edge did cut better than the other TOPS knife I have, a "Walk About." However, the scandi grind on it developed nicks faster than I expected for it because it is a fairly hefty knife as TOPS knives tend to be.

So, it is actually a true scandi grind?

So, it is actually a true scandi grind?

Overall, I would say it is. For lack of vocabulary, I would describe it as a hefty scandi grind knife. Moras and Kellams are much thinner and much easier to sharpen. I absolutely love Mora knives. The only knives I can sharpen to where I can shave the hair off of my arms and I suck at sharpening. Problems with Moras is that they lack a protective coating and my blades are all getting oxidation from use. In a way it is nice in that the oxidation gives each knife character, but I would prefer a knife that looks great after heavy use as well. Maybe its psychological, similar to why a man keeps his car clean. But I digress. . . if anyone knows of knife, similar to the Fieldcraft, or from what I heard, the Skookum, that would be great. I prefer to have a synthetic sheath with a fire steel attachment and the ability to strike great sparks with it as well.

Thick blades and scandi grinds just seem like opposing forces to me. I like the profile but I wouldn't be tempted by it unless it was 1/8" thick.

Thick blades and scandi grinds just seem like opposing forces to me. I like the profile but I wouldn't be tempted by it unless it was 1/8" thick.

IIRC the original specification was for 1/8" and the first prototype was too. It's a shame they went thicker. I agree, anything thicker than 1/8 is too thick for a scandi grind to be effective. In most cases, 1/8 is even pushing it.

I have a 1/8 chisel grind Fairly bushcrafter that cuts like lightning. On soft woods like poplar it's really easy to cut too fast, actually. If it were any thicker though, you'd really have to take thin slices or it would bind up very quickly.

Well I decided to go with the numerous positive reviews of this knife and Joezilla's nod on the first page of this thread more of an edge than one user that just didnt like the knife. Im actually surprised some of you folded so easy on this one with 1 reviewer not liking it, but I digress..Most you guys love the ESEE 4, but I cant get passed the finger choil...

I only had the weekend to give it a workout and well, it will be my main use knife for the moment, will be giving my Benchmade Rant to my teen. It cuts better, feels great in the hand, the handle was done right. It arrived razor sharp and held out fine for me doing the basic feather sticks, batoned a couple small logs and its still shaving sharp. By watching the video on Youtube I used that method to use the mag striker and it worked perfect without removing any coating even, the notch if used right will contain and push the sparks directly to the tender even better than just going with a flat striker and showering them around I think, but I would have used the notch wrong had I not seen the video first. I have not had a chance to use the bowdrill divot yet so I hope to be able to give that a try soon.

I will continue to put it through its paces and give an update once I have used it for a longer period and more applications, but for now I can say this is a great knife and made quite well.

I am loving mine so far
IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

I have been using the spine to strike a LMF Army fire steel with ease. The LMF also fits in the fire steel loop on the front of the sheath. I gave up on the provided steel.

Back