TOPS Knives Exposed

Mistwalker

Gold Member
Over the years I have done reviews of several TOPS knives here, it's no secret their over-built knife designs are some of my favorites, they work well for my experiments in the middle of nowhere, and I have a faith in them I don't have in some other knife companies. Over those years, several people have mentioned that they did not like the coated blades. So, I thought I'd pop in and post a few pics of some of their current models built from a bushcraft perspective rather than a tactical one.

Pictured are the tumble-finished TOPS Fieldcraft, the tumble-finished Scandi Trekker, and their new multi fuel stove.

DSC_0691.jpg

I liked the idea of my daughter having a tough knife to handle all of the experiments she will be doing in the course of my teaching her wilderness skills, so the Scandi Trekker really appealed to me for that. The first place she got to check it out was in the kitchen, helping me to prepare dinner one night. It is just a little big for her hands, but it handles well for her, and gives her some room to grow with it while learning.

DSC_0700.jpg

DSC_0701.jpg

DSC_0702.jpg

DSC_0703.jpg

DSC_0704.jpg

DSC_0705.jpg

On the next outing she used it to sharpen a stick to eat her smoked oysters with, I have to take multiple tins of smoked oysters these days, never had to share them before :)

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0714.jpg

DSC_0730.jpg

DSC_0752.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

The Fieldcraft is identical in design to one I posted pics of last year, and has all of the same features, it just has an uncoated tumbled finish. This knife has awesome ergonomics, love the contoured handle.

DSC_1779.jpg

DSC_1780.jpg

DSC_1781.jpg

DSC_1790.jpg

DSC_1794.jpg

It came nice and sharp

DSC_1796.jpg

DSC_1797.jpg

The stove is nice, and has adjustment to the deck depending on whether you are burning wood, the TOPS fuel packs, or the smaller fuel pellets. All the components are clearly marked for ease of assembly.

DSC_1855.jpg

DSC_1816.jpg

The fuel packs say they will burn for about 25 minutes and the ones I have used have exceeded that by a minute or two. I could have boiled three or four cups of water with one fuel pack.

DSC_1839.jpg

DSC_1893.jpg

DSC_1897.jpg

DSC_1911.jpg

DSC_1919.jpg

DSC_1923.jpg

Using three of the wet fire cubes I was unable to boil cold water, but did heat it up to nearly boiling. Next time I will try the esbit cubes.

DSC_2153.jpg

DSC_2161.jpg

DSC_2162.jpg

DSC_2164TUG.jpg

DSC_2171.jpg

DSC_2172.jpg

My daughter is really liking the Scandi Trekker a lot, and even with all of her running and jumping in the woods, it has so far never moved in the sheath until she pulls it out to use it.

DSC_2008.jpg

DSC_2009.jpg

DSC_2020.jpg

DSC_2040.jpg

DSC_2078.jpg

DSC_2105.jpg

DSC_2228.jpg

DSC_2236.jpg

DSC_2252.jpg

DSC_2257.jpg

DSC_2262.jpg

DSC_2300.jpg

DSC_2302.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing photos, I felt like I was actually there for a moment. I may have to pick up a field craft and that stove.

Those are some awesome pictures. Now I wish my Dad took me camping as a kid. NOPE. Summer work with an HVAC technician.

Great pictures. I have two younger daughters and look forward sharing adventures in the woods like you and your daughter. Thank you for sharing the pictures of your adventures!
Blair

Amazing photos, I felt like I was actually there for a moment. I may have to pick up a field craft and that stove.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed them. The fieldcraft is one of my favorite TOPS knives, the HOG 4.5 is another. The ergos on both are just great. I sort of wish they would do a tumble finish HOG :) The stove works really well, I like the design a lot.

Those are some awesome pictures. Now I wish my Dad took me camping as a kid. NOPE. Summer work with an HVAC technician.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked the pics. Oh, my father worked like 16 hours a day four days a week and then a half day on Friday, so that we could spend the entire weekend in the woods, on the river, or out in the bay or gulf. I wouldn't trade away those years for anything!

Great pictures. I have two younger daughters and look forward sharing adventures in the woods like you and your daughter. Thank you for sharing the pictures of your adventures!
Blair

Thanks Blair, I'd rather have my kids out in the woods running wild than sitting in front of a televison any day :) May you guys have many wonderful adventures!

Another Great post my Brother

:)

Thanks brother, glad you enjoyed the post!!

That's really cool. I didn't know they were beginning to offer uncoated blades.

And they are making a stove too?? I really have got to pick up a folding twig stove. These look pretty nice.

I have always liked the Tops Fieldcraft. Maybe one day I will get one. Not so sure about that funky notch on the pommel. The stove looked good as well.

I keep putting off buying one of those twig stoves. May have to check out the Tops vs Emberlite. Frankly, I seldom cook anything in the woods anymore. But I do like to play around.

Since I am usually working out of my truck, I typically carry along a small gas grill. :) What can I say?

Great post Mist. Hope you and your family are happy coming back to Chatt. I tend to just erase the view of the nuclear power plant in my mind. The way I look at it is barring a disaster, we'll have electricity for a good while when many other areas have none in a crisis.

Last edited:
Excellent review again!

I am waiting for that War Bowie review!

Very nice review, hope also my daughter will follow me in the knife world when older.
Could you tell me if the scandi grind in the TOPS knives is a traditional scandi or it has a micro bevel?
I'm thinking of buying a Vulture Cholera that will be produced by TOPS (I think that it's already produced by TOPS and it has a scandi grind).
2zj95j6.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome parenting there!

Thanks man! I always have a blast when she's with me.

That's really cool. I didn't know they were beginning to offer uncoated blades.

And they are making a stove too?? I really have got to pick up a folding twig stove. These look pretty nice.

I think it started a few years back with the BTK. Then I, and a few others started requesting more, and they offered a few others over time. Now there is, that I know of for sure, the: BTK, CUB, Dragonfly, Scandi Trekker, Tumbled BOB. and one called the Scandi Hunter I believe. I've used the stove a few times, and I am liking it a lot so far.

I have always liked the Tops Fieldcraft. Maybe one day I will get one. Not so sure about that funky notch on the pommel. The stove looked good as well.

The BOB is one of two recent TOPS Knives with great contours and ego. The other is the HOG 4.5. I love the full flat grind of the HOG, I hope they offer an uncoated version of it as well soon.

Cool gear all around Mist. Glad to see you back down South as well!

Glad to be in the south again, but still glad to be out of Chattanooga :)

I had no idea that TOPS made a stove. Have to pick one up.

Thanks Mist!

Yeah, they haven't been out long. Likely some videos on youtube soon I imagine.

I keep putting off buying one of those twig stoves. May have to check out the Tops vs Emberlite. Frankly, I seldom cook anything in the woods anymore. But I do like to play around.

Since I am usually working out of my truck, I typically carry along a small gas grill. :) What can I say?

Great post Mist. Hope you and your family are happy coming back to Chatt. I tend to just erase the view of the nuclear power plant in my mind. The way I look at it is barring a disaster, we'll have electricity for a good while when many other areas have none in a crisis.

Eh, I like having the ability to warm up soup or even just our hands when I have my daughter out, and in too many places open fires are not allowed these days.

Well...I do feel better being back up on the mountain. At least here I can walk my family on over the ridge and away if one goes into meltdown, rather than having to have to fight my way up it first :)

Excellent review again!

I am waiting for that War Bowie review!

Thanks man, I hope to get to it soon :)

Very nice review, hope also my daughter will follow me in the knife world when older.
Could you tell me if the scandi grind in the TOPS knives is a traditional scandi or it has a micro bevel?
I'm thinking of buying a Vulture Cholera that will be produced by TOPS (I think that it's already produced by TOPS and it has a scandi grind).
2zj95j6.jpg

Definitely modified, with a higher grind and a slight secondary that can be done away with pretty easily.

Good read & great pics !

Thanks man, glad you liked the post!!

Nice, all the way around

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for the pictures, Great job teaching your daughter about the woods.
I find myself looking a TOP's knives after your threads. Don't know why?;)

Ok, thank you a lot!:)

No worries man, glad to help. I will say that of all of the 3/16 thick scandi knives I have experienced, the higher hybrid grind of the TOPS has had the best functionality for me so far.

Thanks for the pictures, Great job teaching your daughter about the woods.
I find myself looking a TOP's knives after your threads. Don't know why?;)

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed them. She got a kick out of our trip to the woods yesterday and getting to much on persimmons, wild grapes, and ocoee. The black walnuts are falling now too. I have always liked the quality of TOPS knives, I'm glad to see them adding more diversity in their line, and more thoughts to the sportsmen who don't really want a coated blade.

Back