Toughest knife you own

...not one knife in particular, but I have a number of Strider knives and they are AMAZING. Not only do they hold up wonderfully for legitimate knife tasks, but in the situations where I have been forced to subject them to genuine abuse...they still hold up!

Strider knives come with an unconditional lifetime guarantee...but I've never known one to break. Obviously, they can be broken (as can any knife), but I haven't seen it yet...

About 5-6 years ago I made a rather large die at work to cut rubber seals. It was made out of a piece of 1/4 thick A2. Leftover was several pieces that I grabbed up for knives. Out of the largest piece I created a rather mean looking Knife. I made it before I had ever heard of the JSP-Bladerigger knives. Everyone that sees it asks me if it is one! The kife is 17" overall and has a steep grind and an epoxy coated, silk wrapped handle. I did my usual heat treatment I used for the dies I was making at the time, then drew the spine back with a tourch.
In addition to using it for everything from choping wood, branches, 2X4's in 2 cuts! It's been on several camping trips performing camp knife duties. Now it's my Loaner! Several of my knife customers and co-workers borrow it for their "expeditions"! Everyone loves it and I have made several smaller ones based on its design!! With all the abuse its taken, it is pretty rough looking! However, the the edge is not chipped and can be brought back to "Scarry Sharp" everytime it returns home!

Definitely my Maddog Mongoose. This knife has to be one of the toughest knives made. 1/4" thick steel, appx 8" total length. I have carried it constantly since I received it, and I have absolute faith in it.

Marco

Fixed blade I made out a file when I was in the military 30+ years ago. I'd call it a "fat" double edged dagger with a small belly <grin>, blade ~ 7".

Kit Carson MD.4 and Kit Carson Big Hunter.

Happy Trails,

ts

------------------
"Cet animal est tres mechant;quand on l'attaque il se defend."("This animal is very mischievous: when it is attacked it defends itself")

MAD DOG Pygmy ATAK. My first thought was my HI Ang Kohla but mine currently has a minor problem of a loose pommel. The Pygmy ATAK is super stout and has served me well for the last year. Lot's of daily hard use, no problems and no complaints. FWIW, it's still my favorite knife.
smile.gif

Either my Chris Reeve Sable IV or my CS Trailmaster.

------------------
Professor

Ever notice no other candy tastes quite like Pez? Oh yeah, the BM Mini-Axis and the Rekat Carnivour are the best production folders yet (IMHO, of course)!!

I own to of Bob Doziers knives.And after using them and using them hard I can honestly say they are my toughest knives

Cold Steel SRK

Hey, I'm still learning bout knives, don't have as many as some people. It's still a damm strong knife, thou not as strong as some mentioned...

REKAT Carnivour, but I have a Livesay RTAK on the way. If these knives are as tough as they are supposed to be this will be my toughest.

------------------
-Dennis-

Right now, the toughest knife I own is my Busse Mean Street with A2 steel. Last winter we had the 'Blizzard of '99' and temps went all the way down to forty below. Everyone's car was frozen to the ground. I used the Mean Street to chip away at the ice, and to cut away all the tree branches that fell on top of my car. It was the only knife I had on me at the time, and while I was digging my car out of the ice, I accidentally left the Mean Street on the ground. Well, I ended up leaving it out all night!! We're talking blizzard, sub zero temps, and ICE!!
Next morning, I wake up and realize that I'm missing a knife. OOOPS!! I rush outside and after a short frantic search, there it is, in the middle of the street, covered in snow, ice and road salt. I clean it and oil it...no problem. Like it was in its kydex sheath all along. Still sharp as hell, still looking good. WOW!!!!

In -95 I had an SRK and that was a pretty tough piece of steel, I sometimes used it as a crowbar without any damage. Nowadays my Fällkniven F1 is the strongest one I own.

------------------
Tea drinker and hellraiser from Northern Sweden, above the arctic circle.

Far and away, my toughest knife is my Randall 6" Hunter's Bowie that is about 40 years old. It is some "solid". The toughest folder is an old Al Mar SERE Attack folder that I am trying to sell. If you want it, my email is FullerH@sec.gov.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

[This message has been edited by FullerH (edited 07 September 1999).]

[This message has been edited by FullerH (edited 07 September 1999).]

I'm surprised nobody else mentioned it, my Perkins Seraph. at 4" oal, and 1/4" A2, I doubt anything short of banging it between two anvils would do any lasting damage.
Aaron

------------------
amacks@nist.gov
Don't forget to pay your taxes...they eventually become my knives:)

:
Of course my H.I.18" Ang Khola.From there the 15"AK then the 18th Century
then the Dhankuta village model then.
You get my drift doncha?
smile.gif

The HIKV is one of the best diseases I have ever caught!!

I guess to be fair I should mention the CS Trailmaster and the Marbles Woodcraft.
wink.gif

------------------

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;---¥vsa----&gt;®
The civilized man sleeps behind locked doors in the city while the naked savage sleeps (with a knife) in a open hut in the jungle.

I put my Bear Jaws through hell. It still comes back for more beatings.

I primarily like the saw blade, cuts through just about anything. Plus the pliers on the end ALWAYS seem to come in handy.

Don't think I abuse it, but it gets dropped, and used to open boxes in the warehouse etc. It is my work horse.

Ric

Toughest BIG knife: Livesay RTAK
Toughest Med. size: Busse Steel Heart
Toughest Small Knife: Fallkniven F-1
Toughest Mini knife: Livesay Woo

Overall: Probably have to say Busse Steel Heart II.

ROMANS 10:13

Colin, if the problem with your khukuri is the butt-cap, I doubt it represents much of a problem. While I like the looks of one. I have beat them off and kept using the khukuri for extended periods of time to see if it would develop security problems as a result, they don't. I usually just epoxy them back on after awhile.

-Cliff

Cliff-Do you mean the Fallkniven A1 and if so are all the Fallkniven line that tough?How well do they shave off thin slivers of wood as in making fuzz sticks for fire starting and how well do they cut in general?
As always thanks for your excellent tests and info.
m

Back