Toughness testing of AEB-L, Niolox, CPM-154, 19C27, 40CP, and D2

AEB-L @62 RC (ht by Peters) lawnmower toughness test:

N1Gyuyi.jpg

Never did get the whole story on how the knife and sheath got under the lawnmower. The blade, right at the edge deflected a hair which I was able to straighten and sharpen out, back to about 98 percent. The sheath not so much:

2OcNxfS.jpg

Built the guy a new sheath for free cause it was a good story:

6g0TGIG.jpg

Standing nearby may not of been the thing though, I don't know.

I am not incorporating that method of testing in my shop! o_O

By all indications the toughness of 3V should be pretty good. However, whether it would have superior toughness to AEB-L is hard to predict. The two have similar carbide volumes, but AEB-L carbides are smaller which should improve its toughness. But AEB-L is a stainless so the high chromium in solution likely somewhat reduces its toughness. Other interesting comparisons would be Bohler and Uddeholm grades like Vanadis 4 Extra, K490, and K890, since they show in datasheets and papers having superior toughness due to their 3rd gen PM process.

So, Larrin, between two steels with same amount of Carbon, let’s say 0,5%, the toughest will be the one with less Chromium? Or this is not linear? I’m thinking A8mod and 6150 steel. 6150 has almost no Chromium, so should be tougher than A8mod? With proper heat treatment, of course.

So, Larrin, between two steels with same amount of Carbon, let’s say 0,5%, the toughest will be the one with less Chromium? Or this is not linear? I’m thinking A8mod and 6150 steel. 6150 has almost no Chromium, so should be tougher than A8mod? With proper heat treatment, of course.
These effects can get complicated, of course. Small chromium additions are unlikely to reduce toughness and in some cases may improve it. High chromium steels often have large amounts of chromium carbides which drowns out any effect of chromium in solution. However, stainless steels with their very high chromium content in solution may see reduced toughness vs lower chromium grades. It is hard to know because isolating the different variables is extremely difficult when it comes to stainless vs non.

Just out of curiosity, may I ask your list of non stainless favorite steels, Larrin Larrin ? The ones that you’re happy with, if I may ask, with toughness being the main goal?

Just out of curiosity, may I ask your list of non stainless favorite steels, Larrin Larrin ? The ones that you’re happy with, if I may ask, with toughness being the main goal?
L6, 5160, 15N20, and 8670 are the ones commonly available that can reach high hardness. There are other choices that have somewhat lower toughness but with increased wear resistance, of course.

Some people are never happy. :p Do you remember when it was a bIG deal that we could finally get that 1/8 unicorn AEB-L and 15N20? If AEB-L actually is L6 tough, then you don't need .250. ;)

Stupid question of the thread..... Could you explain/give an example of what toughness translates to in a knife blade? I know it's different than wear resistance, but I can't remember what it is for the life of me... Thank you for posting up the information-it's really interesting.

Jeremy

Some people are never happy. :p Do you remember when it was a bIG deal that we could finally get that 1/8 unicorn AEB-L and 15N20? If AEB-L actually is L6 tough, then you don't need .250. ;)
My B&T is around 61-62rc and Ive cut up a lot of fish and small game with it this year. hit plenty of bone and be-headed many,many fish..Not a chip or roll to be found anywhere on it.. We have been using aeb-l for about 5-6 years now and am very impressed with its toughness.

I’m relatively new, and 0.125” stock was unicorn dust in the early days!

L6, 5160, 15N20, and 8670 are the ones commonly available that can reach high hardness. There are other choices that have somewhat lower toughness but with increased wear resistance, of course.
My kind of steel. For big choppers, I even go lower on carbon (0,45%/0,48%) and higher on Nickel (4%) and use Bohler K600 (45Nicrmo16).

What’s your opinion about Maraging steels in Knives, if I may ask, (and sorry for going off topic)?

My kind of steel. For big choppers, I even go lower on carbon (0,45%/0,48%) and higher on Nickel (4%) and use Bohler K600 (45Nicrmo16).

What’s your opinion about Maraging steels in Knives, if I may ask, (and sorry for going off topic)?
I don't know that much about maraging steels, so I don't have an opinion.

Stupid question of the thread..... Could you explain/give an example of what toughness translates to in a knife blade? I know it's different than wear resistance, but I can't remember what it is for the life of me... Thank you for posting up the information-it's really interesting.

Jeremy
Toughness is the resistance to fracture, such as chipping or breaking a tip off.

Can someone explain the resurgence in AEB-L to me? This is such an old steel it seems strange that its apparently amazing qualities for cutlery are only recently being discovered.

Back