1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Traditional Folder

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by FLHTK, Jul 17, 2019.

1. FLHTK

FLHTK

Mar 28, 2019
    Looking at getting a traditional folder for EDC. Thinking about the Case Mini Trapper. Anyone have this folder and what do you think of it. Any other folders you would recommend with a reasonable price tag.

2. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    115Italian likes this.
  3. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Opinel 6-8, stainless... depending on your hand size and pocket space avail.

4. FLHTK

FLHTK

Mar 28, 2019
    You're probably right. How do you move a thread to a different section?

5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    A mod will move it.

My suggestion would be for the case 62032 Texas jack
    [​IMG]
    I don't have the mini trapper, but I'm not a fan of having a 2 bladed with equal length blades.
    I think you'll find having a smaller secondary blade more useful.

The smaller 6208 half whittler is a great one as well, one of my all-time favorites.
    [​IMG]

marsturm likes this.
  6. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    The Case MiniTrapper with the Wharncliffe and Clip blade combination is a fine knife indeed.

The Wharncliffe single-blade version is also really nice and in yellow Derlin can be had at a very reasonable price.

FOG2 and Ace Rimmer like this.
  7. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    My Mini trapper is my "friendly" knife. It's so good, I have two of 'em.

[​IMG]

Dadpool likes this.
  8. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
  9. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I like the Case Mini Trapper ... it was one of my first pockets so long ago ...

I still like it ... but will mention the GEC #48 Improved Trapper I prefer the steel on it to today's Case knives ... probably my favorite traditional 2nd only to my Alox SAK Farmers ...

[email protected] likes this.
  10. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Many here get their kicks with a GEC 66.

11. Meaningless opinion

Meaningless opinion

Jul 29, 2018
    I prefer the quality of GEC to Case. I have and like both, but the GEC feels more solid, finished better, and the 1095 takes a nasty edge.

12. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I see what you did there.

13. Mingecutter

Mingecutter Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Check out a medium Stockman from Boker, Buck, Case, AG Russell, GEC, etc.

14. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Over the years my faves have been anything alox, case wharnie mini trapper, mini copperlock, gec 72 wharnie and the AG Russell Barlow. A mint condition schrade 50t bruin would do in a pinch

15. FLHTK

FLHTK

Mar 28, 2019
    Thanks everyone for your input. I need to look into some of these suggestions. Being north of the border makes it tough to actually find a store that has all of these so I can have a look at them.

16. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I prefer Case’s CV (1095v) to either their stainless or to GEC’s 1095. It holds an edge longer. It is not stainless.

The Mini Trapper is a good pattern and has stood the test of time well. The chestnut bone is my favorite, though I like others as well.

dalefuller likes this.
  17. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    I have the Wharncliffe mini trapper and it is one of my favorites.

18. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Another Alox Farmer fan here.

A very versatile 'traditional' slip joint.

marsturm likes this.
  19. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    For what it's worth, I have yet to encounter a Case pattern I didn't like. I like some more than others but none of them are bad and in many instances I can only decide on which pattern I like more than another by which one I happen to be holding.

And if you want some Traditional Folder imagery overload, have a look at this thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-well-do-we-know-our-abcs.1670441/

There's a wide variety of knives on display and you might see something you hadn't before.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  20. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    When I carry a traditional, it's a Case Trapper, but I prefer the full-sized ones. As DocT said, Case's CV steel is a good everyday steel. It's easy to maintain, gets very sharp, and is relatively tough. I also really like having two full-length blades, especially when one is a spey blade. Having a long sharp edge without worrying about a sharp tip makes that blade very useful when I need it around my dogs. It's also good at other times when slicing instead of piercing is needed. The mini-Trapper is a bit small and hard to manipulate for me, but I have old, "dull" hands and I need something a little more substantial to hold and manipulate.

If you prefer a single blade, the Tribal Locks and Copperlocks are fine examples. Some of each model comes in CV steel, you just have to take certain covers since not all models have a CV and a SS variant.

Ace Rimmer likes this.