Traditional Folder

Caveat if you start poking around the traditionals area, the rabbit hole for traditionals is deep. Like really deep, it's going to take you a really long time to wade through everything. The mentioned blades above are great starts. The only other blade/pattern that wasn't mentioned was the sodbuster, Rough Rider and Maserin are good alternatives to Case and GEC for that pattern. And Rough Rider in general does pretty good examples for trying out traditional slipjoints. The patterns will pretty much be in 2.75" closed, 3.25" and 3.5" + closed sizes so it all depends on what size traditional you want. The 3.5" is a pretty ideal slim carry size which will get you about a 2 and 3/8" blade. If you need a full 3" blade then go with the Case Slim trapper. But those are the approximate blade length to handle ratios to put traditionals in a sort of modern description. The Alox's are a no brainer and everyone can pretty much agree how useful they are. The big decisions are if you like a slim single spring version and or if you want an awl punch versus a second blade.

Thanks everyone for your input. I need to look into some of these suggestions. Being north of the border makes it tough to actually find a store that has all of these so I can have a look at them.
Well, not being able to look at product in a brick & mortar store is a common problem for many of us. I really like the stuff GEC makes over Case. But I have both. My last Case was a stag peanut which I really like. An alternative to Case and GEC are the Rough Ryder slippies which tend to be well made and inexpensive. They are not quite up to Case quality and certainly not up to GEC quality, but the Rough Ryders are a tremendous value if you are pinching pennies.

LionSteel makes a couple slippies that are very nice. They tend to be priced similar to GEC stuff. But you generally get a more modern steel. The BestMan is a newish model that is fairly nice. Collector Knives sells LionSteel stuff that are made for them.

Victorinox SAKs are also always an option. I like them personally.

The Trapper pattern is probably my favorite overall. I tend to simply like jack knives versus some of the other traditional patterns. A trapper is a jack knife.

Well I just ordered a Case 65305 Wharncliffe Mini Trapper with Burnt Bonestag scales from one of our online dealers. It seems to fit what I want and hope it lives up to all the good reviews.

Please let us know what you think. :)

Glad to see you're a man of action. So many threads are just that.... threads and the OP doesn't buy anything or asks for suggestions and buys something entirely different or the knife they were originally interested in. That's okay and I guess the chit chat is fun. That isn't you; you said you pretty much decided on the Mini Trapper. Good little knife.

I started a thread once asking about a good 3-man tent that didn't cost a fortune. I quickly got a suggestion and looked it up. Bought one. I then killed the thread which I probably shouldn't have since the information is good for other people thinking along the same lines.

Well I just ordered a Case 65305 Wharncliffe Mini Trapper with Burnt Bonestag scales from one of our online dealers. It seems to fit what I want and hope it lives up to all the good reviews.

That's a good knife, good choice.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

But...if you like that and it works out for you, give some thought to a Case peanut. Over in the traditional sub forum theres a thread for the Cult Of The Peanut with lots of members and good pics of some very nice legumes.

You really need a peanut. ;)

I sold some of my fixed blades (2 Randals and a Loveless). So I went shopping and along with the Mini Trapper that's in the mail to me I got the following:
Spyderco PM2 PE
Spyderco PM2 Spyderedge
Benchmade 940
Case Peanut Amber Bone Peach Seed Jig
GEC Copperhead Jigged Bone Stockman
Kershaw Leek CF scales
Zero Tolerance 0640

That should do me for now.

I sold some of my fixed blades (2 Randals and a Loveless). So I went shopping and along with the Mini Trapper that's in the mail to me I got the following:
Spyderco PM2 PE
Spyderco PM2 Spyderedge
Benchmade 940
Case Peanut Amber Bone Peach Seed Jig
GEC Copperhead Jigged Bone Stockman
Kershaw Leek CF scales
Zero Tolerance 0640

That should do me for now.

[Shrek Voice] "That'll do, Donkey.... That'll do." [/Shrek Voice]

Back