Traditional French Fry day

Great, post Gary, I don’t recall having anything for Fridays before. We’ve had mammoth Mondays, throwback Tuesdays, wooden Wednesday and so on now we have French Friday.

I hope this thread becomes, “the” Friday thread and it goes on for pages. Personally I don’t have many French blades, actually my Laguiole and how could I almost forget the French penny knife everyone should own, the Opinel No 8 folder.

D8F0E973-A7E8-4116-9E80-9DBA7F62B0F1.jpeg

Two no. 6’s.
The locks are different on these.
On the beech one which is about 8 years old,the lock twists both ways to lock it when the blade is open.
On the walnut one it only twists to lock in one direction. I don’t know when or why the changed it. I prefer the walnut lock, it just seems neater.

9ceKPQh.jpg

NZyASc2.jpg

sgYZ32i.jpg

z8jerzq.jpg

I6iUXrM.jpg

Nice version, Steve!! :)
Google won't translate "Le Grat" for me?? Is there an English translation, do you know??
Charlie, this is a family name. The knives are named after the cutlers who successively owned the shop in that lovely town of Foix. (pronounce Gratt', rolling the "r")
  • ROQUES XVIIIth
  • GRAT XIXth
  • SAVIGNAC XXth
  • MONTARIOL XXIth
15%20rue%20marchands%201925%20Auguste%20Ele%CC%81onore%20Savignac.JPG

Charlie, this is a family name. The knives are named after the cutlers who successively owned the shop in that lovely town of Foix.
Ah; Thanks JP!! Looks like some happy folks in front of the store!!

BTW, this knife, below, resides happily in a display of Lags, and other French knives, overlooking our dining table!! Although you graciously gifted it to me later, it always reminds me of our treks through Paris knife stores and your favorite Bistro in Paris!!
Fond memories!!
Gallic Peanut 1.jpg

Ah; Thanks JP!! Looks like some happy folks in front of the store!!

BTW, this knife, below, resides happily in a display of Lags, and other French knives, overlooking our dining table!! Although you graciously gifted it to me later, it always reminds me of our treks through Paris knife stores and your favorite Bistro in Paris!!
Fond memories!!
View attachment 1593356
Charlie, you're welcome back whenever you want!
For the first time since more than a year and half last wendesday I ate in that same bistro with a friend after shopping at the market. Believe it or not, I had calf's liver 😉

Long ago I spent holidays in Foix and surround, a lovely country! It was in the nearby Spanish enclave of Llivia that my parents gifted me my very first knife!

Last edited:
Back