Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

I wouldn't think it would matter but the old rifle is chambered for a 44-90
A popular to 1010 yard target cartridge.
Jest as accurate, and less recoil than the .45-90, .45-110, .45-120, .50-90, 50-110 and .50-140 black powder cartridges used at Creedmore and other long range national and international competitions.
I'd guess the recoil would be about like the .45-70-405, depending on the bullet weight.

(If you think the under-loaded current factory safe for 1873 Trapdoor Springfield's .45-70-405 kicks like an upset Missouri mule, try even a low pressure safe for a Trapdoor cartridge with the original 500 grain bullet. :D
Back in the 1870's and 1880's if a firing line officer wanted to get a recruit learning to shoot the Trapdoor carbine (.45-70-350) attention he'd slip him the much heavier full sized musket's .45-70-500 cartridge, then with the rest of the company laugh when that unfortunate recruit was put on his sitter by the recoil.)

Difference between .45-70-350 and .45-70-500? 350 grain vs 500 grain bullet. Both used 70 grains of powder.
How to read Black powder cartridges:

First number: Caliber

Second Number: Grains FFg powder (.40 Caliber and larger. Under .40 Caliber were loaded with FFFg powder)

Third Number (if used) Bullet Weight in grains.

Last edited:
Woke this morning to better than a foot of snow! :rolleyes: So I figured it was a good day to take some pics!! ;)
This is my Grandfather's Model `94 in .32 Special along with his Cattaraugus hunting knife! Both are treasures to me!
Made in 1941 just barely pre-war by months. Looked it up in the Winchester records and it's still set up the way he ordered it! :thumbsup:
IMG_3096.jpg
IMG_3097.jpg

Dave

This is my idea of a "house gun" Another one made in Italy, the SPAS 12 holds 9 shells and can be set to semi-auto or pump action.
I also pack this boat anchor around pheasant hunting! 😒 When she's at home I load it, buckshot, slug, buckshot, slug, buckshot, slug.........
IMG_3098.jpg
IMG_3099.jpg
IMG_3100.jpg

Dave

AFABCA1-A-9589-41-F5-9407-03067-B9-F201-E.jpg

When the thread goes in the direction of home invasions and tactical weapons and violence coming and going I am pretty much out of this thread. I grew up in a kinder and gentler America and still live in The Last Best Place, and those are those are the guns and knives that I own and love and show here. I wish that we could all live in a safe place, but I know that is not going to happen. To tell the truth, I don't think that firearms that are specifically designed to kill people are the best choice for this forum, but they are of course very traditional in some cases. What could be more traditional than a 1911, for instance? But...still... it can get disturbing to me when I start seeing the black guns. It is a gray line. It makes me sad, on a strictly emotional note, I suppose. But more scientifically, I can report that game and fish departments across the United States have caved into political pressure to keep revenues up to allow AK type .223 rifles to take game, which is absolutely NOT COOL. I am able to say this from extensive personal experience. The whole American hunting experience has somewhat sickened in recent decades.
Just a couple more pics of the "black gun" in use!
You might see "home invasion" or a "tactical weapon" when you look at this gun but I just see a shotgun, and that's what I use it as.
You see, I don't use false advertising, or misleading information in anything I say, sell or do.
You say you live in "The last best place" ? any person on the planet earth that googles that phrase up will find Douglas Chadwick and William Kittredge's books about MONTANA! I didn't know you moved??? I'm sure there are some folks who think Florida is "the last best place"
I have seen scores of "night stand" posts in this thread. Of course mostly handguns, but their purpose is "specifically designed to kill people". It's all up to the owner to what purpose the weapon is used. You could take a snub nose to the range but most folks don't.
I will check with my Montana Fish and Game before I take your word on anything!

As I posted before I do carry this boat anchor around the fields bird hunting!
KIMG0872-1.jpg
KIMG0867.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Credit where credit is due!!
My son needed a knife for the bird hunt because he just got off a plane and he chose this GEC #81 from my regular rotation knives.
I absolutely LOVE this knife! black mamba black mamba modded the big Spear into a Sheepsfoot and it's one of my favorite blade combo's!!
GREAT Job Jeff!! I don't know why you let it go!!!!!! :rolleyes:
KIMG0870.jpg

Dave

I am loving the .32 special Winchester lever 94. I have some fond memories of one just like it that Grandpa had. When the thread goes in the direction of home invasions and tactical weapons and violence coming and going I am pretty much out of this thread. I grew up in a kinder and gentler America and still live in The Last Best Place, and those are those are the guns and knives that I own and love and show here. I wish that we could all live in a safe place, but I know that is not going to happen. To tell the truth, I don't think that firearms that are specifically designed to kill people are the best choice for this forum, but they are of course very traditional in some cases. What could be more traditional than a 1911, for instance? But...still... it can get disturbing to me when I start seeing the black guns. It is a gray line. It makes me sad, on a strictly emotional note, I suppose. But more scientifically, I can report that game and fish departments across the United States have caved into political pressure to keep revenues up to allow AK type .223 rifles to take game, which is absolutely NOT COOL. I am able to say this from extensive personal experience. The whole American hunting experience has somewhat sickened in recent decades.

I would love to get a 32 special lever gun. A local auction had a beautiful Browning a month ago, but I felt it went too high and didn’t even get a bid in. I think ammo is quite hard to come by right now as well.

Respectfully, I disagree on your “black rifle” hunting opinion. My dad took deer through the 80’s and 90’s with a Norinco SKS which is very similar to an AK.
Last year I took my buck with my AR in 6.5 Grendel and it made for a clean kill. The 6.5 Grendel is a very versatile and very accurate round. That’s all without getting into predator control as well.

E5DE908E-44D2-4804-A8DE-5A5974C0F0B0.jpeg

That said, I’d much rather look at tradition guns with traditional knives as well.

Back