Traditional knife for survival

Found this vid and just knew it belongs here. The volume is kind of low but fine with headphones.
This guy seriously knows what he's doing, and blows a lot of myths about needing large knives for survival.

Cool vid (if a bit long). I wonder if Cambertree Cambertree knows that feller? If I'm not mistaken, the knife looks like one @r8shell has.

I like that guy. I always figured if one is in a position where they need to use a knife as a survival tool. It is going to have to be a knife they have with them at that time. Most people are more likely to have a small folding knife, like he shows, with them, than some big honking Bowie type knife.

O.B.

There you have it, amazing what you can achieve with a small knife. This guy also does some very good, practical rough rider reviews, really puts them through their paces and compares them to case. Interesting stuff.

Now would you rather have that knife or a fixed blade when it came down to it. I know, I know, all hypothetical and who of us will ever be in survival situation, but I still would rather have a puukko, lol. Yet, a knife is better than no knife. :D

Now, where is @pinnah with his Opinel and micra

Now would you rather have that knife or a fixed blade when it came down to it. I know, I know, all hypothetical and who of us will ever be in survival situation, but I still would rather have a puukko, lol. Yet, a knife is better than no knife. :D

I think the point is to not underestimate a pocket knife and not to overestimate a large fixxie. I usually take a Buck 110 camping with me but hardly ever use it. I begin to think it's a back up for my SAK. I would rather build a shelter with a larger knife, but actually if I'm on a planned trip, I'm taking a small hatchet.
As far as survival situations, those aren't planned so ya gotta run what ya brung. If all you find yourself with is a pocket knife, you are not ill equipped.

A puukko still counts Brett. Slipjoints aren't the only traditional knives out there.

I think the point is to not underestimate a pocket knife and not to overestimate a large fixxie. I usually take a Buck 110 camping with me but hardly ever use it. I begin to think it's a back up for my SAK. I would rather build a shelter with a larger knife, but actually if I'm on a planned trip, I'm taking a small hatchet.
As far as survival situations, those aren't planned so ya gotta run what ya brung. If all you find yourself with is a pocket knife, you are not ill equipped.

Yeah, I caught the point. I was just looking for a way to get Pinnah's attention as he champions an Opinel and micra often for the best woods knife.

As far as survival situations, most of us, maybe Im guessing, live in th city or suburbs. Our biggest risk is a flat tire to work. There are those of us who get out in nature, but as you mention d it is planned.

Jeez.

Zieg

Reactions: KBA
Found this vid and just knew it belongs here. The volume is kind of low but fine with headphones.
This guy seriously knows what he's doing, and blows a lot of myths about needing large knives for survival.

Really like this. Willow and hazel respond to this sort of cutting, in my experience, so he's picked the right sort of plant matter to process with the small blade. I think he's made quicker work than if I went at it with an SAK saw blade, which is what I would have tried first. Of course, we SAK users need little convincing on this score, but Vinnie's really gone whole hog. He's industrious!

Zieg

Finess beats brute strength again. No batoning required. :)
Of course those who think you can't cut a stick or branch without battoning will claim trickery if they see this ...
Oh well. Some will never learn.

Last edited:
Ah, batoning. The mystical art that no-one ever does, yet features in all youtube videos, and requires all survival knives to be three times the size needed for any other task
Actually I saw soldiers 30 years ago feeding pot bellied stoves by batoning wood.

The Luck of the Irish?:D

No, a very well put together & articulate video devoid of all the "er,er, like stuff, awesome!" you all too often get... Instructive and meaningful. A sharp knife like that in calm determined hands can achieve a lot. Interesting point he makes about wearing gloves, it's a must for prolonged use with a small thin scaled knife. He had some good boots on, they looked like those posh French boots le chameau. Nice to see the gorse bushes flowering too, lucky for him it wasn't raining though, the whole process would've been murder whatever your tools:eek:

Nice shelter, be good for spotting and filming wildlife perhaps? I also liked the fact he pointed out he wasn't going about the place hacking down small trees and being destructive but he selected Willow, a vigorous tree that responds well to coppicing (as seen on the shot of a stump under the power lines).

What happened to that fine Airedale though? He didn't get a look in, only the little dogo_O

I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him, unfortunately Jack Black Jack Black .

(I had an invitation to camp with the Irish Bushcraft Club, in County Cavan, when I was there, earlier this year.)

Although those lads mostly had 4" fixed blade, Mora and custom Puukko and Woodlore type knives, there was definitely a similar sense, of people who knew their blades well, and were adept in their use. I noticed there were always at least a couple of people working their knives, keeping busy whittling more campware (bowls, pegs, ladles, spoons), even while relaxing around the campfire at night.

I used this GEC 15 Crownlifter while camping and travelling, and it did fine outdoors - worked great as a small food prep knife too. In fact, it was a real pleasure to have that tool on many occasions - nothing wrong with a sharp, slipjoint as your only knife, for most common tasks.

IMG_2557_zpsbeveijv8.jpg

IMG_2733_zpsyv93sg1j.jpg

Last edited:
I think this guy must have known Mr. Van!

:D :thumbsup:

I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him, unfortunately Jack Black Jack Black .

(I had an invitation to camp with the Irish Bushcraft Club, in County Cavan, when I was there, earlier this year.)

Although those lads mostly had 4" fixed blade, Mora and custom Puukko and Woodlore type knives, there were was definitely a similar sense, of people who knew their blades well, and were adept in their use. I noticed there were always at least a couple of people working their knives, keeping busy whittling more campware (bowls, pegs, ladles, spoons), even while relaxing around the campfire at night.

I used this GEC 15 Crownlifter while camping and travelling, and it did fine outdoors - worked great as a small food prep knife too. In fact, it was a real pleasure to have that tool on many occasions - nothing wrong with a sharp, slipjoint as your only knife, for most common tasks.

IMG_2557_zpsbeveijv8.jpg

IMG_2733_zpsyv93sg1j.jpg

Sounds like you were in good company anyway my friend :) Cool pics, and a decent tent :thumbsup:

Back