Traditional knives and records

That Townes album was the first that I had heard of his music, it instantly became a favorite.
I never heard James McMurtry before, thank you, its good stuff!
Live from the old quarter is an amazing album. There are so many Townes classics on there. By far that recording of Pancho and Lefty is my favorite. I’m always torn on what my favorite song of his is but I usually go with Rex’s Blues. There is just something about the line “Legs to walk and thoughts to fly, Eyes to laugh and lips to cry, A restless tongue to classify, All born to grow and grown to die”. Although now that I have a daughter, we usually listen to Katie Belle before I put her to bed.

I think James McMurtry’s older stuff is a little better than the stuff on his newest album. No more buffalo, just us kids and 12 o’clock whistle are three of his best. He can really paint a picture with his lyrics. Knowing that his father wrote Lonesome Dove and The Last Picture Show, you would expect him to be able to do that.

E6BC8B14-CB01-4887-B458-37CCAD26B9DB.jpg

88CAA2EB-B8B4-4CCD-B5C2-956CF4A3ADCB.jpg

Live from the old quarter is an amazing album. There are so many Townes classics on there. By far that recording of Pancho and Lefty is my favorite. I’m always torn on what my favorite song of his is but I usually go with Rex’s Blues. There is just something about the line “Legs to walk and thoughts to fly, Eyes to laugh and lips to cry, A restless tongue to classify, All born to grow and grown to die”. Although now that I have a daughter, we usually listen to Katie Belle before I put her to bed.

I think James McMurtry’s older stuff is a little better than the stuff on his newest album. No more buffalo, just us kids and 12 o’clock whistle are three of his best. He can really paint a picture with his lyrics. Knowing that his father wrote Lonesome Dove and The Last Picture Show, you would expect him to be able to do that.

With my introduction to Townes being Live at the Old Quarter, The studio albums just don't have the same appeal for me. Don't get me wrong I still like 'em but they just aren't the same.
I really like that 43 of yours. I think the Frontier bone might be my favorite of that run.
Also, AC/DC is one of my all time favorite bands!

I have a lot of vinyl from the pre-digital age. Here are a few of my favorites from when I was in high school. I didn't buy that knife until 1984, but the most appropriate knife to put on these albums, the one I carried most in the late 70s, was a Buck 301 that I later gave away.
EwuILX4.jpg

I like seeing so many musical tastes from all you folks! :thumbsup:

27638383788_2566262764_h.jpg

Good album, but not my favorite. That's a tie between "Safe as Milk" and "Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)". I love the raw sound in "Safe as Milk" (along with Ry Cooder's guitar), but I also like the technical contained insanity of "Shiny Beast" (plus Bruce Fowler on trombone, a long time Zappa musician). "Clear Spot" is cool because it contains the only song that I've ever seen used in a film's soundtrack, being "Her Eyes are a Blue Million Miles" in The Big Lebowski[/b].

I honestly still don't "get" "Trout Mask Replica".

All my vinyl is long gone. :(
All 300+ records (mostly Classical) and the console Black & White Television/Turntable/AM/FM/Shortwave (receive only) Radio went AWOL before the "affordable" PC was invented ... and before a hard drive bigger than 10MB or a motherboard with more than 64K RAM, was made, for that matter ... :(

Oh well. The TV was not digital compatible, (or even have a remote control) and the console would not fit in my current residence anyway, and over the intervening decades, I've quit watching TV, (even with 300 cable channels there's nothing worth watching on anyway) listening to the radio and music, so I suppose it's a wash. :)

OK, here ya go... Rather than dig out the vinyl I just downloaded an image of the cover -- but this one really is in my collection. It was given to me by a fellow wardroom officer who said he no longer wanted it. Posed with my stag mini copperhead. (EDIT -- updated the image for better realism: reduced the size of the knife and added a shadow.)

Here's some trivia: If Grace had not married Darby Slick and instead remained Grace Wing, would we have ended up with Grace WING and the Jefferson AIRPLANE??? :confused:

26697869537_f18dcec6ea_b.jpg

Last edited:
Good album, but not my favorite. That's a tie between "Safe as Milk" and "Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)". I love the raw sound in "Safe as Milk" (along with Ry Cooder's guitar), but I also like the technical contained insanity of "Shiny Beast" (plus Bruce Fowler on trombone, a long time Zappa musician). "Clear Spot" is cool because it contains the only song that I've ever seen used in a film's soundtrack, being "Her Eyes are a Blue Million Miles" in The Big Lebowski[/b].

I honestly still don't "get" "Trout Mask Replica".

I am sad to say that I am pretty sure that Clear Spot is the only Captain Beefheart record in my collection. I will have to remedy that at some point. I saw this video explaining why Trout Mask Replica is a masterpiece. haha

Last edited:
Great thread.
I could go bananas..
Over a thousand LP vinyls.
I recently scored a vg cond copy of
Big Brother and The Holding Company
Janis Joplin with the full fold out R.Crumb comic book cover....for 1 dollar in an op shop.
All out of my reach right now along with everything else I hold dear.

Back