Traditional Knives and Toys

I'm not sure what this toy is called but I got one just about every year in my Christmas stocking. ;):D
48570802052_92a21aa6b7_h.jpg
I knew you were a Bad Boy.

The Fleet-Footed Floomdorm, or Floomdorm for short, was one of a series of four pneumatic Space Pets that Tomy brought to market in 1982. Pressurize the air reservoir with the included air pump, and flip the switch to free the mechanism. Hilarity ensued as the Floomdorm scuttled across the tabletop.

I don’t know if Tomy ever sold enough of these things to recover the development costs, but for the year or so they were around, we sure enjoyed them in the back room of my mother’s toy store.

The Grimalkin, of course, is a timeless classic.

FA9ED93E-718D-4071-818F-B55363B24000.jpeg

The Fleet-Footed Floomdorm, or Floomdorm for short, was one of a series of four pneumatic Space Pets that Tomy brought to market in 1982. Pressurize the air reservoir with the included air pump, and flip the switch to free the mechanism. Hilarity ensued as the Floomdorm scuttled across the tabletop.

I don’t know if Tomy ever sold enough of these things to recover the development costs, but for the year or so they were around, we sure enjoyed them in the back room of my mother’s toy store.

The Grimalkin, of course, is a timeless classic.

View attachment 1181692
Very interesting toy. I don't remember ever seeing one.

Very interesting toy. I don't remember ever seeing one.

No surprise there. We didn’t sell very many, and I never saw them for sale elsewhere. We marveled at such clever engineering put to such a silly purpose.

If you Google this, you will probably get the High-Hopping Hoomdorm. I think there is a video.

Holy Cow! :eek::cool::cool: I'd never heard of this before. Did some superficial Google research - very cool!! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

You are not alone. It was a piece of esoterica even in its day. (“Heyday” would be an overstatement.) With the help of the manual, I could extract square roots with it. The only practical application I ever knew of was in sports car rallying, where you could use it easily to tell where you were in relation to your schedule. Late cost you points; early cost you more. The Curta was the bees knees for the serious rallyist.

Before we even knew how to drive, my brothers and I would pore over Road and Track, and had adopted Piero Taruffi’s “The Technique of Motor Racing” as our bible. The Curta was an icon of our passion. However, we could never afford one. All our discretionary income went to keep our $400 Sprites and MGAs on the road.

By the time my pop bought a Curta a decade later, I was over cars, and into motorbikes. I had no use for a Curta, but we both still knew how cool it was. Later in his life, he passed it on to me, but I never cranked the mill in anger.

Holy Cow! :eek::cool::cool: I'd never heard of this before. Did some superficial Google research - very cool!! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

You are not alone. It was a piece of esoterica even in its day. (“Heyday” would be an overstatement.) With the help of the manual, I could extract square roots with it. The only practical application I ever knew of was in sports car rallying, where you could use it easily to tell where you were in relation to your schedule. Late cost you points; early cost you more. The Curta was the bees knees for the serious rallyist.

Before we even knew how to drive, my brothers and I would pore over Road and Track, and had adopted Piero Taruffi’s “The Technique of Motor Racing” as our bible. The Curta was an icon of our passion. However, we could never afford one. All our discretionary income went to keep our $400 Sprites and MGAs on the road.

By the time my pop bought a Curta a decade later, I was over cars, and into motorbikes. I had no use for a Curta, but we both still knew how cool it was. Later in his life, he passed it on to me, but I never cranked the mill in anger.
Does anyone else remember these thingys?
TfRLWov.jpg

Little Beagle keeping watch over bookshelf turned air/bb gun rack.

HqjeR6X.jpg
That's a nice older Daisy 880 you've got there, I always loved the marbled plastic stocks they used to use.
If you're not going to use wood, that's the way to go.

If the rifling is still good you've gotta try some Crosman premire hollow points in it, my 880 does one hole at 10yrds with 'em but it's bore has never seen a single BB.
they don't group worth a darn, and besides I've got my lever cocking Daisy BB only guns for that. If it can fire pellets it won't see any BB's in my backyard.

Does anyone else remember these thingys?
TfRLWov.jpg
That looks vaguely familiar to me, but is there any chance you've posted it in BF earlier, and that's what I'm remembering?

I haven't thought about Silly Putty for a VERY long time! :cool:;)
(And whenever I think about Silly Putty, I think about Super Balls, but I don't know why they're associated in my jungle of long-term memory. :rolleyes:)

- GT

Silly putty bounced like super balls....just not as good....
Fart Putty is was a superior fun making product...simply gouge your thumb or forefingers into the putty to make a beaut farty sound.
Whoopee cushions provided hours of hilarity with my boys growing up...not just the sound when sat upon but more the scenarios of needing to sit down ,being invited to "sit here Dad you look tired" and my faux embarrassment and attempts to blame others for it....did you see that frog? Just there under the lounge! I heard it croak!
Listening to the muffled planning of where to hide it this time,trying to blow it up ,and my cue to come home from a hard day at the gasworks..( even though i worked at a fire stn) and need to have nice relaxing sit d...
Ooooaaaar Poo Dad yooooo faaaarted...yuk.
Pretending to choke and splutter with indignation....hours of fun .

Silly putty bounced like super balls....just not as good....
Fart Putty is was a superior fun making product...simply gouge your thumb or forefingers into the putty to make a beaut farty sound.
Whoopee cushions provided hours of hilarity with my boys growing up...not just the sound when sat upon but more the scenarios of needing to sit down ,being invited to "sit here Dad you look tired" and my faux embarrassment and attempts to blame others for it....did you see that frog? Just there under the lounge! I heard it croak!
Listening to the muffled planning of where to hide it this time,trying to blow it up ,and my cue to come home from a hard day at the gasworks..( even though i worked at a fire stn) and need to have nice relaxing sit d...
Ooooaaaar Poo Dad yooooo faaaarted...yuk.
Pretending to choke and splutter with indignation....hours of fun .
Now I wanna go buy some Silly Putty and whoopee cushions!

I haven't thought about Silly Putty for a VERY long time! :cool:;)
(And whenever I think about Silly Putty, I think about Super Balls, but I don't know why they're associated in my jungle of long-term memory. :rolleyes:)

Just for you, GT. :D
Plus, I though that this thread could use some more fixed blades. :D

48587491646_a345aa4727_h.jpg

r8shell r8shell
I figured you might be able to relate to my situation.
My cat has zero regard for knife pic time.:rolleyes::p:D
48587571317_b72eddb4cb_h.jpg

That looks vaguely familiar to me, but is there any chance you've posted it in BF earlier, and that's what I'm remembering?
I had to do a google search for that picture today, so it wasn't me. I used to play with one, but barely remember how it worked. I think you used the stylus to slide down the numbers, and the calculator would mechanically total. Maybe related to an abacus?
r8shell r8shell
I figured you might be able to relate to my situation.
My cat has zero regard for knife pic time.:rolleyes::p:D
I know the feeling. :D

Back