Traditional Knives and Toys

Ok so not technically a toy, but since we’re bandying pictures of antiquated calculating devices about, here is a Soviet-era Elektronika programmable RPN scientific calculator with a green VFD:
BoYOeaA.jpg

I had to do a google search for that picture today, so it wasn't me. I used to play with one, but barely remember how it worked. I think you used the stylus to slide down the numbers, and the calculator would mechanically total. Maybe related to an abacus?
OK, now I had to verify that I haven't completely lost it, mentally. So a BF search for "baby calculator" in this sub-forum led me to this:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/guardians-of-the-lambsfoot.1406735/page-723#post-18815455

and to this:
Thanks for the fascinating image of the analog(?) calculator with your lovely lambsfoot! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I don't recall ever seeing one like that before. Are the "columns" linked to their neighbors on the left, sort of like old car odometers? If so, I can imagine how addition and subtraction might be done, but multiplication and division have me stumped :( (unless they're simply done as repeated addition and repeated subtraction, respectively, which would be WAY tedious :eek:). Here's a related link I found quite fascinating:
https://www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/single-post/baby-calculator
- GT

So @herder is the one who brought it to my attention, in the Guardians thread. :thumbsup::cool::cool:;)

- GT

Just for you, GT. :D
Plus, I though that this thread could use some more fixed blades. :D

48587491646_a345aa4727_h.jpg

@r8shell
I figured you might be able to relate to my situation.
My cat has zero regard for knife pic time.:rolleyes::p:D
48587571317_b72eddb4cb_h.jpg
Thanks for the pic, FBC. :thumbsup::thumbsup::D I've had a super ball like yours, but the first one I remember was substantially larger than that and having a really hard surface – kind of like a lethal handball! :eek:

Your cat is exhibiting categorical cat behavior! :rolleyes:

- GT

Back