Traditional Knives and Toys

Holy crap you have some big knives! 🤣
Sorry, can’t get waynorth waynorth Charlie’s joke thread out of my head.
Really looks good, you did a nice job cleaning it up. 😎👍
Thank you, my friend. It is in nice shape, I just added some elbow grease all around and boiled linseed oil to the wooden parts. The Lon Humphrey ’bout wants to tip the whole thing over. Coincidentally, Charlie’s Black Jack is hiding in there - it‘s not a small knife.

fizKefD.jpg

Very cool, Barrett! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I can't believe I haven't posted any Rubik's Cubes in this thread! I have at least 3 of them, including a 4x4x4 version, in my office at work. I don't think I remember the moves to solve them anymore, though (and I never learned how to solve the big one).
Interesting that your more recent one has faces of different shapes, depending on position, instead of all squares. I wonder if that improves the "action" somehow?

- GT

Very cool, Barrett! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I can't believe I haven't posted any Rubik's Cubes in this thread! I have at least 3 of them, including a 4x4x4 version, in my office at work. I don't think I remember the moves to solve them anymore, though (and I never learned how to solve the big one).
Interesting that your more recent one has faces of different shapes, depending on position, instead of all squares. I wonder if that improves the "action" somehow?

- GT

They are definitely built for speed these days, GT!

I just learned how to solve one in the fall, around the time Eleanor started kindergarten. I’d practice while waiting to pick her up in the afternoons.

I started with a standard Rubik’s-brand cube that we had in the kids’ toy box, which seemed fine until I got this one. Now the Rubik’s-brand cube seems slow and clunky. The new ones (there are a lot of brands) are very smooth, and many of them have magnets that help keep them lined up straight, and adjustable springs that let you customize how fast or slow the cube is. The rounded corners let you cut corners, so you don’t have to fully rotate one face before you start turning a perpendicular face. (The corner pieces on mine that appear to be square actually just have a square face and are rounded behind that.)

Of course, all those things are probably most beneficial to those people who can solve a cube in 10 seconds or less, and the best I can do is right around a minute. 😁 But they do make for a more pleasant tactile experience.

They are definitely built for speed these days, GT!

I just learned how to solve one in the fall, around the time Eleanor started kindergarten. I’d practice while waiting to pick her up in the afternoons.

I started with a standard Rubik’s-brand cube that we had in the kids’ toy box, which seemed fine until I got this one. Now the Rubik’s-brand cube seems slow and clunky. The new ones (there are a lot of brands) are very smooth, and many of them have magnets that help keep them lined up straight, and adjustable springs that let you customize how fast or slow the cube is. The rounded corners let you cut corners, so you don’t have to fully rotate one face before you start turning a perpendicular face. (The corner pieces on mine that appear to be square actually just have a square face and are rounded behind that.)

Of course, all those things are probably most beneficial to those people who can solve a cube in 10 seconds or less, and the best I can do is right around a minute. 😁 But they do make for a more pleasant tactile experience.
Thanks for the interesting updates on Rubik's cube technology innovations, Barrett. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Maybe I should look for a recent one and see if I can find out how to solve it again. The way I used to do it was quite intuitive (to me) for getting the top layer and the middle layer into "final form", and IIRC, doing the 4 bottom corners is quite straightforward, too (not that I was ever FAST at any of this - "fast" is almost never my style, and even the most charitable folks tend to describe me as "deliberate"). But getting the bottom edge cubes lined up correctly involved choices from a small set of "magic moves" that I just memorized because I couldn't seem to follow how they actually worked.

- GT

Back