1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Traditional of the month: Stockman

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jacktrades_nbk, Jun 3, 2012.

1. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk

Feb 7, 2007
    Trying to continue the great idea of "traditional of the month"...
    My stockman for this month will be this case medium yeller, in CV, already having some nice patina on the clip blade and just a bit on the sheepsfoot.
    Spey blade is still pristine in that regard.
    I'll be having my peanut too, but will try to use this one for any cutting jobs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Couldn't have picked a better pattern.

Here is a Case CV 6347 5-dot (1985 manufacture) Stockman. Note the mismatched covers. I'll give carrying this one for a month a try but I make no promises.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually, I've been carrying the knife since I've had it (mid-April) and have managed to wear the shinny off of it and the change and keys in my pocket have broken the sharp edges of the covers and rounded them somewhat.

[​IMG]

Of course, I'll be carrying other knives in other pockets.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  3. Getahl

Getahl

Dec 22, 2007
    Been carrying my Buck 303 quite a bit lately. Given the spirit of the challenge, I don't see any reason to change it up. I have a CV Amber Bone stockman with a pen blade in the place of the spey, an Old Timer (34 I think) that's the same size, and then a Buck 301 and a large, stainless Case in stag, if I want variety.

4. Stich2442

Stich2442

May 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. Doug Add

Doug Add

Jan 9, 2012
    Not sure if I can pull this off, since I enjoy carrying something different day-to-day, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Mine will be this little Craftsman (2.8125" closed):

[​IMG]

6. Stich2442

Stich2442

May 6, 2012
    I also will be pairing up with my peanut, I find the med. stockman disappears in my pocket. It has kicked out my moose & my large stockmans out.

7. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    The stockman is my favorite pattern.
    I will be carrying these on weekends and in the evenings:

[​IMG]

8. Humppa

Humppa Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    The stockman is a great pattern. I really like that one. The option choosing between three blades is great.

Getting back to jacktrades opening post - hereĀ“s my Yellow Stockman

[​IMG]

next to my building-lot boots. The pic was taken at winter.

Kind regards
    Andi

9. zippofan

zippofan

Nov 12, 2011
    Sounds good to me, and I started the month off right with a yeller Buck 301 in my pocket all weekend at a Scout Order of the Arrow event :)

10. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I got this one used for a VERY good price, because they had jacked up the sheepfoot blade sharpening it.
    "BIG WHUP!" I can't even feel the scrapes with my thumbnail. It cuts like a demon and feels great in the hand and the pocket.

[​IMG]

11. stevomiller

stevomiller

May 4, 2001
    Shoot, I don't have a true stockman to play at the moment. Closest I have is Vic Alox Rancher, more of a Cattleman with spear point blade and an awl. However, I sure like the medium case in the OP's first post. I spent most of my youth with an Uncle Henry Premium Stockman in my pocket. Carried nice and I never found it wanting for city use or anything in the woods. It cleaned uncountable legions of fish, fur and fowl. I stold this pick off of the web. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

12. Vanguard41xx

Vanguard41xx

Dec 29, 2010
    Not a big fan of the Stockman pattern, but I have a few. ;)

[​IMG]

13. seelow123

seelow123

Oct 4, 2008
    Thank you for keeping the TOTM alive Jacktrades:thumbup:

14. sitflyer

sitflyer

Mar 10, 2011
    I've got a couple that wouldn't mind getting a few rides this month...

Buck 703
    [​IMG]

I sure do hope this Sowbelly Stockman counts ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  15. sitflyer

sitflyer

Mar 10, 2011
    I LOVE buying them a little scratched up:thumbup: makes using them that much more easy :D

16. JAB

JAB

Dec 13, 2005
    I'll play but I do have to confess to getting a bit of a head start... :eek::D

Been carrying this one for about a week now.

[​IMG]

And prior to that I was carrying this one daily for a while.

[​IMG]

17. jacknife

jacknife

Jan 3, 2001
    Looks nice. Must dig one of my stockmen out, not sure I could last the month though, too many other knives calling me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  18. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I'm carrying the the yellow Camillus because it was my favorite for so long, and the Hibbard Spencer and Bartlett to see how it likes its epoxy putty handle scales.

Kutmaster (very sharp), HSB, Camillus, Gebruder Hoppe, Buck 307 (too big to carry)

http://db.tt/0K8WIOsO

I have more, but I controlled myself. When I was a kid I thought the stockman was the absolute complete grown up jackknife.

19. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    0603021859a.jpg

I have been carrying this one for a little over a week. It's a chestnut bone Case 6375 in CV built back in 2000. The first few days it felt like a brick in my pocket, especially when I was walking. Now I hardly notice it.
    The Stockman's blade combination makes it a super versatile pocket knife imho and the fact that my Grandad favored it doesn't hurt either. Count me in this month. Wonder what kind of patina I will end up with after a solid months + of use. I also look forward to reading about others experience.
    Jim

20. Billy516

Billy516 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Perfect timing! My latest acquisition is this yella CV medium stockman with punch. I need to start working on the patina.

[​IMG]