Traditional of the month: Stockman

Yeah, i did :D I'm gathering peach pits too now, for what has become a new habit. Thanks, and great work there i'll say.

What I like about them is the portability, throw one in the pocket and you have something to do if you have to sit and wait somewhere, I also like looking at the natural pattern in the pit and letting the pit tell me what to make. I've gotten some strange looks from people sitting by the harbor carving a peach pit, don't know if it's the knife or the pit? But I tend to use the small stockmans sheepsfoot or pen, or my peanuts pen out in public fairly non threatening.

I started to carry one too in my pocket, and carve whenever i can. I used mostly the spey on the medium stockman at those peach pit carvings, the sheepsfoot a lot also, and sometimes the clip point tip, for getting in tight spaces, or for rounding the inside area. Great pattern.

Hope it was fun, that we all learned a thing or two, and even carried some knife that otherwise would have just stayed on a shelf.

Yep, since I prefer smaller knives, and usually single spring knives, the stockman was never a "go to" for me. But I have enjoyed carrying the Craftsman small stockman, and I picked up a Case 6344 HE this month that I probably otherwise would not have. I like it, and am glad to have it. It is in my pocket today, and here is all that's left of a morning snack it helped me with.

6344morningsnack.jpg

I'll have this guy with me today
2d688839.jpg

Thanks again Doug for the pics of your Craftsman, I would have never considered a small stockman, always favoring the larger stockmans. I'm surprised Schrade went out of business, this small knife is so well built, it says a lot about the pride people use to take in their work and a manufacture wanting to put out a quality product.

Late to the party again... Stockman pattern is not one that I ususally carry around. I like the idea of it, but just like other patterns better. Anyway, I had Dale Orvet rehandle this Fight'n Rooster and I got it back last week and I have been using and carrying it around the house today. New scales are white micarta; old scales were Christmas cell. It's not as pretty, but maybe it will not self destruct on me now.

100_2122.jpg

Ed J

this small knife is so well built, it says a lot about the pride people use to take in their work and a manufacture wanting to put out a quality product.

I agree completely. My Schrade built Craftsman truly is a fine piece of craftsmanship.

62212carrya.jpg

.....and a Stag Schmidt and Zeigler to close out the month.

attachment.php

Attachments

• S&Z Stockman 023 (Large).jpg
    S&Z Stockman 023 (Large).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Last day, this Medium Stockmans going in the pocket, it always happens to me when I don't have a awl I need one. Fishing at the lake the other day there was another fella, after a few hours he had to leave to pick up his kids and insisted I take his box of night crawlers. I usually use rooster tails, rubber worms, lures and such unless pole fishing so I needed to make a bobber and realized I didn't have my Case3618pu with me, ended up using the pen blade on my peanut to drill a hole wish I had the stockman with me.
46d5d0a0.jpg

Don`t drink and browse ebay. After we got home yesterday, I just wanted to browse the web while I downed some water, and whoops I just ordered a yeller Case med. CV Stockman. I don`t regret, but I wish I would`ve thought it over before I paid. Paid way too much for shipping. :p Can`t wait to get it.

Looking good Stich! I just made a Beef Stroganoff in my Dutch Oven. Should have shot a few pics of slicing the onions and garlic with my Old Timer Stockman.

Great color you have going in your dish.

Thanks guys, had some left over, so I turned it into breakfast before the flea market.
a4681f1e.jpg

P.S. I know it's the 1st:) but hey.

Well, Stockman month is over - so I´d like to show off my whole stockman collection ;)

IMG_1672.jpg

Detailed pics....

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

Kind regards
Andi

Back