Traditonal folder

hello folks. My dad has carried a buck 3 blade Buck stockman for a long time. (30 years) We were talking the other day about edge holding and he stated the buck never did take or hold an edge to his satisfaction. So I am thinking of getting him a folder in a good steel like ATS34 or something. I would like to stay with something similiar to the buck, so he will actually carry the new one. Stainless is first choice. The price is open, but a consideration. TIA,

------------------
Brian

Richard

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
You might check AG Russell. I believe he has traditional styles made with his name put on them. I have seen them avaliable in ats34 and aus8 & 6. Dont remember which patterns right off hand, but there should be one suitable for ya. Check his web site...if you cant find anything on it, lemme know and I will send you a print catalog from him. Also, there is the Case/Bose collabs. They are ats34 blades.

------------------
Richard Todd - Digital knife photography
icq 61363141
My WebSite
Do your site a favor, get quality digital images!!!
New photos added!!!

Thanks Richard. How would aus6 and aus8 compare to what buck uses?

------------------
Brian

Wow 30 years ain't nothing to sneeze at, must be something he liked about it!

I'd recommend the double bladed folder by WhiteWing for a traditional type folder with stag scales, very nice and comes with CPM3V steel which on my lockback takes and holds a very good edge.

http://members.tripod.com/ctexknife/whitewing.htm

Take a peek here...
Good hunting!
G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Ats34 when done properly should hold an edge quite a bit longer than a Buck (420 HC being there current). I believe ats can be hardened quite a bit more.

As far as AUS8 and 6, I have had several spydercos and an AG Russell in those steels. Those are other steel that when done properly have quite good edge holding, wil take a fine edge and they are both fairly easy to sharpen.

I am far from being any kind of expert, so hopefully others will pop in and give good explanations.

------------------
icq 61363141
My WebSite
New photos added!!!

Gary,
I don't think it is that he liked it that much, he just doesn't know better. He has one pocket knife. (the buck) and he has one hunting knife. ( A Queen Cutlery stag handled fixed blade..Sweeet.) He bought these way back when and has made do every since. If the bucks blades dull he just pushes harder. He uses this knife for all things btw, some may border on abuse. Now if you are into hunting rifles and shotguns, he knows what's new and hot and probably owns at least one! Thanks for the replies so far.

------------------
Brian

Oh, almost forgot. Cold Steel is also coming out with a line of traditional patterns. Stockmans and Trappers and such. Dont know if they are even avaliable yet, but the pics look ok. They appear to be in carbon steel, so your dad may not like that. Check www.coldsteel.com and click on folders.

------------------
icq 61363141
My WebSite
New photos added!!!

Brian, if you are looking for a cheaper stockman that he can abuse, get a Schrade Old Timer. The blades are not stainless, I believe they are 1095, and they will hold an edge better than the Buck. At least mine do, and I use my OT stockman on everything. For a little more Camillus makes a nice stockman also.

A.G. Russell is probably your best bet. Case uses 420HC, Camillus 440A. I'm not sure about Queen, but I think they are 440A also. Good Luck.

Paul

Try the Queen's, can also be found under Onterio (parent company?) Queen also makes the Robsen and Schatt and Morgan lines. The Queen mdl 26A (440A, amber scales) and Queen mdl 26B (ats34 winterbotom bone) is an excellent 3 1/4" 3 blade stockman. I also have a Robsen "Pocketease" 3 3/8" 3 bladed whittler in ats34(mdl 225).I like small 3 1/4"-3 3/8" stockman and whittlers for an all purpose pocket knife. I have found that compared to Case,Buck,the German brands' etc. it is hard to beat a Queen for quality,fit,price and "walk n' talk" even in 440A. They are the only company that I know of that makes ats34 production pocketknives. Prices are in the $20-$25 for "Queen Steel" (440A) and $50-$60 for their Robsen and Schatt & Morgan (ats34 w/bone scales) line. You will not be sorry (I have 6-7 Queens)and Dad will be happy! Good Luck Weldonk
biggrin.gif

The queen in ats34 sounds good. Anyone know of a good source for them?

------------------
Brian

Hi
In England a cool knife to own is a Featherstone and Durber which is very high quality but very designer.If you want more details please e-mail me
Adi
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bteel:
hello folks. My dad has carried a buck 3 blade Buck stockman for a long time. (30 years) We were talking the other day about edge holding and he stated the buck never did take or hold an edge to his satisfaction. So I am thinking of getting him a folder in a good steel like ATS34 or something. I would like to stay with something similiar to the buck, so he will actually carry the new one. Stainless is first choice. The price is open, but a consideration. TIA,

</font>

Gary got the answer before I saw the question.

Look seriously at the Whitewings in the multiblade patterns they are a premium piece. The 3V holds a great edge and Bailey picks fantastic stag.

The multiblades are really stout and well built. Expect a really fine knife if you get one for your dad. I have given my dad a WH spearpoint and a Ww surveyor and he loves them both.

Good luck,

-Sam.

I would recommend that you don't go wiith stainless. Plain carbon takes a better edge and it is a lot easier to sharpen. The usual standard brands making pattern knives have some in carbon too.

------------------
Roger Blake

bttt - let's get back on track

judy

------------------
totallyjudy

There is one rule:
Never postpone your life for a man.

How good are the Eye Brand stockmans? This type of knife isn't my bag but my dad likes them and I plan on getting him one. So what do you think? Buck? Case? Eye brand?

------------------
Dennis Bible

mylogosmall.gif

I just saw that cold steel is coming out with a couple of traditional patterns. Maybe that will be the way to go. I hope to hear some reviews soon. I wonder when they will be released and what the price will be.

------------------
Brian
What is this existential quandry all about anyway?

shootist -

see my post on the other stockman thread re the Eye Brand stockman

------------------
Die Entropie der Welt strebt einem Maximum zu - R.J.E. Clausius

Back