Traditonal folder

While I would not want to discourage a nifty new purchase (after 30 yrs, no less!), nor would I seek to cast aspersions on your Dad...but perhaps his discontent has to do with a poor sharpening style?

Before the last 5 years of all the ATS and other exotic steel, Buck's were state of the art and "known for keeping an edge".

As someone who only recently learned what it really means to get a sharp edge - that is, after purchasing a Sharpmaker 204 - I can say that if you are doing a poor freehand sharpening job, you will NEVER get a satisfactory edge. I think I actually dulled some of my blades more by my freehanding - I am BAD at it.

That said, maybe he's a hard user and needs more edgeholding, aw, heck he's had it for 30 years, get him a new one!

I thought maybe also that he was not sharpening correctly. Maybe he isn't. I do know that he does use the Buck hard. At any rate, I thought it may be a nice idea to try to move him into the 21st century of knives. I don't think he is ready for a onehander with clip.....yet.

------------------
Brian
What is this existential quandry all about anyway?

Back