Trailmaster vs. Battle Mistress cont.

Jeese Jack!

You don't ask for much. I'd have to write science fiction to come up with that!

i.e.
Blade extendable range: 2 inch to 11 inch (automatic)
Edge: molecular, no sharpening required... ever
Non magnetic
4oz actual weight with dial in mass from 2oz to 45 lbs.
microcircuitry to guide the user through 42k complex cutting tasks.

In fact a small utility blade and almost any good quality 8-10 inch fixd blade chopper would be fine. It has been my dad's wisdom that guides me... "a poor workman blames his tools"

Please understand, I can cut quite happily with an obsidian cobble whacked into shape so I'm not to 'ticular.

Gotta go edit more jungle footage...

Ron

Hi Ron, good to see you in here(actually, read you in here).

Some questions on the TM and the BM:

1. How did the handles hold up in the jungle climate? Were there obvious signs of wear on the handles, especially the Kraton?

2. Did the more dropped point of the TM appear to penetrate better for you than the more upturned BM point?

3. Did either blade chip during chopping excursions?

The Kraton was covered with some sort of plastic handle replacement (I think there was still Kraton in there). The indians sometimes knock the handles off their machetes and melt plastic they find along the banks, onto the steel as a replacement handle. I have no way of knowing of the kraton was present, taken off, came off in an accident or failed. These are headhunters only 10 years removed from their last known head shrinking. so I was very cautious when I checked out their knives.

There was no obvious chipping on any of the blades. The indians sharpen their knives on the door stone frequently and this would have removed any chips. They are rough on their knives but very good. I never saw them hit a stone but i have lots of video of them chopping things in the palms of their hands. Gaaaaa!

The CS Bushman was their favorite blade by far. My comments on that were not transmitted here (thanks for your efforts tho Rudy!)

I really can't answer the penetration question.

Part of my problem is that my Candoshi speaking skills are poor. Much of what I learned was through pointing and actions.

Hope that helped some.

Ron

No problem Ron. I am sorry I didn't retype it all more carefully.

thanks and take care one and all
collin

Thanks Ron. It pretty much covers it when they melt another plastic on there. I don't think there would have been a need for that on the micarta used in the BM. Still, at the price the TM is going for kraton is acceptable.

For all those concerned there is a great tread at Knifeforums.com under the reviews section on the Battle Mistress. You can't miss it. It compares the BM to the MD Panther which although not the greatest utility knife it does have the same build and is more the BM's size than the Atak. I am assuming that the only thing that makes it really different than the BM as far as utility goes is it is weaker to do its long false edge, is more neutrally balanced, and probably has weaker edge geometry--the last one is a maybe.

thanks and take care
collin

Back