Trend Airshield pro

Looking at getting one of these masks for the shop. Does this mask protect from all of the fine metals and dusts? Including stabilized woods? I want to make sure I'm keeping my lungs safe.

Thanks,

I use the Trend Airshield pro. It will protect you 100% or as much as the intake filter filters down to. The quality of the seal is moot. It brings air in and blows it out around the seal. I have a full beard and this feature works fantastic for me.
Besides bladesmithing, I use it for all my wood turning of exotic hardwoods as well.
A charge lasts most of a full day, full day easy if I plug it in at lunch.

I use the Trend Airshield pro. It will protect you 100% or as much as the intake filter filters down to. The quality of the seal is moot. It brings air in and blows it out around the seal. I have a full beard and this feature works fantastic for me.
Besides bladesmithing, I use it for all my wood turning of exotic hardwoods as well.
A charge lasts most of a full day, full day easy if I plug it in at lunch.

What filters do you use for general wood turning and grinding?

I want to buy one, but all the reviews of the headband breaking are stopping me. Especially since my shop is pretty cold in the winter. I'm guessing anything plastic and prone to breakage is even worse in the cold.

I want to buy one, but all the reviews of the headband breaking are stopping me. Especially since my shop is pretty cold in the winter. I'm guessing anything plastic and prone to breakage is even worse in the cold.

That's is one thing I was concerned about I've had this happen with my welding helmets in the past. If I do get one I plan on storing it inside when I'm not using it. I was just curious if the filter protected from everything.

98% of particulates .3 micron and above it says.

A P100 filter is 99.9% of particulates .3 micron and larger. I use P100s on my 3M full face, that also have organic vapor protection. (epoxy, acetone, etc)

I don't know if that's available with the Trend or not.

You ALWAYS want to do a fit test. Regardless the type of mask you use. A good seal is critical! I use every type of mask for work and fire department. If you do not have a good seal it's NO GO! Though the TREND MASK seems to be designed unlike a standard mask.

Last edited:
How often do you have to replace the filters?

I only just got mine over last break, so I've only used it a little bit, but accord to the safety sheets, once a month is the recommended time before changing or so many hours of actively using it. Can't remember how many hours, but it was more for full time use, like 8hrs per day everyday type of thing.

You ALWAYS want to do a fit test. Regardless the type of mask you use. A good seal is critical! I use every type of mask for work and fire department. If you do not have a good seal it's NO GO! Though the TREND MASK seems to be designed unlike a standard mask.

Seal isn't as important with a positive pressure system. The fit only needs to be sufficient to prevent neutralization of the pressure differential. It should still pass a qualitative fit test, as the positive pressure should prevent any spray from infiltrating even if there are gaps.

I have at least five PPR units. The least is an Air Cap II. It provides light positive pressure and is very easy to wear. I use it for light filtration tasks.
I have a Trend Airshield, which I used to use a lot. It is very good for filtration, but a bit cumbersome.
I have a couple different helmet units with a PPR pump. One is a plug-in to a countertop unit, and the others are belt worn compressors.
I have a big Paint booth style unit that is so loud in the hood, I never use it.
I have a full-face mask unit ( think of a Fireman) that I use for hazardous chemicals and cyanide. It gets its air from one of the pumps for the hood units.

Each has its attributes. If I had only one, I would have the helmet unit with a face shield and light weight chin bib.

I have at least five PPR units. The least is an Air Cap II. It provides light positive pressure and is very easy to wear. I use it for light filtration tasks.
I have a Trend Airshield, which I used to use a lot. It is very good for filtration, but a bit cumbersome.
I have a couple different helmet units with a PPR pump. One is a plug-in to a countertop unit, and the others are belt worn compressors.
I have a big Paint booth style unit that is so loud in the hood, I never use it.
I have a full-face mask unit ( think of a Fireman) that I use for hazardous chemicals and cyanide. It gets its air from one of the pumps for the hood units.

Each has its attributes. If I had only one, I would have the helmet unit with a face shield and light weight chin bib.

This post really helped. I think ill end up ordering a trend airshield pro since its a bit more in my price range I do like the idea of 3m breathe easy but they get pricey quick.

thanks.

No. With a positive pressure system you absolutely do NOT want a seal.

What filters do you use for general wood turning and grinding?

I've just been using the filters that came with it. With most wood dust I can take the filter out and knock most of it off.
I can get a couple weeks or six months from a filter depending on material an frequency of use. I'm not a pro so my use is more sporadic than some.

Back