1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Trend Airshield pro

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by J. Piontek, Dec 12, 2016.

1. J. Piontek

J. Piontek

May 10, 2016
    Looking at getting one of these masks for the shop. Does this mask protect from all of the fine metals and dusts? Including stabilized woods? I want to make sure I'm keeping my lungs safe.

Thanks,

2. Jrmysell

Jrmysell

May 18, 2014
  3. Jonathans

Jonathans

Jan 9, 2008
    I use the Trend Airshield pro. It will protect you 100% or as much as the intake filter filters down to. The quality of the seal is moot. It brings air in and blows it out around the seal. I have a full beard and this feature works fantastic for me.
    Besides bladesmithing, I use it for all my wood turning of exotic hardwoods as well.
    A charge lasts most of a full day, full day easy if I plug it in at lunch.

4. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 31, 2015
    Positive pressure is pretty neat thing.

5. J. Piontek

J. Piontek

May 10, 2016
    What filters do you use for general wood turning and grinding?

6. J. Piontek

J. Piontek

May 10, 2016
    How often do you have to replace the filters?

7. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    I want to buy one, but all the reviews of the headband breaking are stopping me. Especially since my shop is pretty cold in the winter. I'm guessing anything plastic and prone to breakage is even worse in the cold.

8. J. Piontek

J. Piontek

May 10, 2016
    That's is one thing I was concerned about I've had this happen with my welding helmets in the past. If I do get one I plan on storing it inside when I'm not using it. I was just curious if the filter protected from everything.

9. kuraki

Jun 17, 2016
    98% of particulates .3 micron and above it says.

A P100 filter is 99.9% of particulates .3 micron and larger. I use P100s on my 3M full face, that also have organic vapor protection. (epoxy, acetone, etc)

I don't know if that's available with the Trend or not.

10. jll346

jll346 Knife maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2006
    You ALWAYS want to do a fit test. Regardless the type of mask you use. A good seal is critical! I use every type of mask for work and fire department. If you do not have a good seal it's NO GO! Though the TREND MASK seems to be designed unlike a standard mask.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  11. Jrmysell

Jrmysell

May 18, 2014

I only just got mine over last break, so I've only used it a little bit, but accord to the safety sheets, once a month is the recommended time before changing or so many hours of actively using it. Can't remember how many hours, but it was more for full time use, like 8hrs per day everyday type of thing.

12. kuraki

Jun 17, 2016
    Seal isn't as important with a positive pressure system. The fit only needs to be sufficient to prevent neutralization of the pressure differential. It should still pass a qualitative fit test, as the positive pressure should prevent any spray from infiltrating even if there are gaps.

13. J. Piontek

J. Piontek

May 10, 2016
    Great information here. I may consider getting one soon as I start building my new shop.

14. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I have at least five PPR units. The least is an Air Cap II. It provides light positive pressure and is very easy to wear. I use it for light filtration tasks.
    I have a Trend Airshield, which I used to use a lot. It is very good for filtration, but a bit cumbersome.
    I have a couple different helmet units with a PPR pump. One is a plug-in to a countertop unit, and the others are belt worn compressors.
    I have a big Paint booth style unit that is so loud in the hood, I never use it.
    I have a full-face mask unit ( think of a Fireman) that I use for hazardous chemicals and cyanide. It gets its air from one of the pumps for the hood units.

Each has its attributes. If I had only one, I would have the helmet unit with a face shield and light weight chin bib.

15. J. Piontek

J. Piontek

May 10, 2016

This post really helped. I think ill end up ordering a trend airshield pro since its a bit more in my price range I do like the idea of 3m breathe easy but they get pricey quick.

thanks.

16. P.Brewster

P.Brewster

Jul 25, 2007
    No. With a positive pressure system you absolutely do NOT want a seal.

17. kuraki

Jun 17, 2016
    Depends, maybe OK for apnea :D

18. Boston_Strong

Boston_Strong

Jul 7, 2016
    This is probably a stupid question. But I have to ask... why in the world are you working with cyanide Stacy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. kuraki

Jun 17, 2016
    Probably something for gold/jewelry making.

20. Jonathans

Jonathans

Jan 9, 2008
    I've just been using the filters that came with it. With most wood dust I can take the filter out and knock most of it off.
    I can get a couple weeks or six months from a filter depending on material an frequency of use. I'm not a pro so my use is more sporadic than some.