Truth or Myth? Quenching tank needs to be oriented north/south??

True North or Magnetic North? I live in the South.
Dozier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My quench tank is mounted on a gyroscope so I never have warped blades. :D

The only virginity I wasted was my own. :p

The important consideration is to have a good grip on your tongs while quenching, otherwise as soon as it become magnetic, your blade will be snatched flying directly to the north pole, possibly killing Santa Claus....maybe not, due to the Coriolis effect :confused:

On a related and TRUE note, if you leave your steel sitting on a shelf pointing N-S for a long time, it WILL become ( slightly) magnetized.

BTW, I am highly opposed to the use of virgins in quenching. They are an extremely endangered species today, and should be protected.

I just heard a really good phrase on NPR. - The "Click and Clack" principle. It may well apply to things like the current discussion.
It is:
Whenever two people are discussing a subject that they know nothing about it is entirely likely that they will end up know even less about it than one person who knows nothing about the subject.

Haha, I Love the Tappet Brothers.

Another pointer, NEVER quench spine down. Gravity will cause all the carbon to migrate to the spine and rob the edge of it's carbon! Saw the Iron and Fire episode, got a big kick out of that!

Ive saw on it on there,twice and twice I threw up in my mouth a little...That boy obviously has some talent and Im truly hoping that, that little sniglet is for TV drama but you would be surprised at how many people believe it..
Proper temp and thermal cycles cured my warp...Not pointing my quench tub at the chicken house..

I wonder how much the Coriolis force affects the carbon when it is "In solution"? If you bring the steel up hot enough, will it create circular wootz like patterns from the carbon swirling counter-clockwise? Inquiring minds want to know????

Casey has shot his flintlock more than once without eye protection and has reloaded his gun without blowing down the barrel to clear any sparks. He also test barrels by firing them. I used to test barrels by double charging them with powder and balls and setting them off by canon fuse while tied to an old tire pointed at a backstop from a remote location. Then they were "proofed". He also removed a ball from a loaded gun by using a ball puller while standing in front of a loaded gun. I was taught to only use a ball puller when a powder charge was forgotten and the preferred method was to pull the percussion nipple and squeeze in some 4 F powder and touch the gun off to blow the ball clear of the muzzle. Flintlocks need a ball puller though but I would submerge the barrel in a bucket of water first. I started shooting muzzle loading guns in 1978 and have fired many thousands of rounds. I do watch his show though every week just to see what foolish thing he will do. His guns look pretty nice. I just hope he lives long enough to make some more of them. He probably really believes the north -south thing. Larry

While magnetic forces are well known even I don't know effects of Solar Flares and CMEs on HT. As a radio HAM this last month has produced some weird things that have changed my signal . Some don't believe it but they are there . If anyone has input on Solar Flares vs HT please let me know .

While magnetic forces are well known even I don't know effects of Solar Flares and CMEs on HT. As a radio HAM this last month has produced some weird things that have changed my signal . Some don't believe it but they are there . If anyone has input on Solar Flares vs HT please let me know .

It's because the hole in the ozone layer lets in too much gravity. This is why ham radios always sound so clear during a full moon, for the same reason you should should quench under a full moon. The quench tank alignment thing is balderdash, as magnetic north is constantly wandering! Pro tip: Be sure to whip up your quenchant with an egg-beater to aerate it for at least 30 minutes before quenching.

Mecha,
A better way would be to drop a chunk of dry ice in the quench tank. This would create violent boiling while super-cooling the oil. This would convert the austenite to martensite at 20,000 ft/sec, creating Rc70 hard martensite in 6 nano-seconds.
The only caution would be that the shock wave propagates through the blade at 20,000 ft/sec, reaching the center in 3 nano-seconds. This may cause the blade to explode in a sort of sonic boom if the two waves collide in the center out of phase. In phase they would just cancel each other out quietly.

Note:
The speed of the conversion from austenite to martensite actually is 20,000 ft/sec. (6100m/sec for you Canadians and Europeans ... or 1 to the -10th power parsec/sec. for you Trekies - .00000000001 prsc/sec)

Last edited:
Mecha,
A better way would be to drop a chunk of dry ice in the quench tank. This would create violent boiling while super-cooling the oil. This would convert the austenite to martensite at 20,000 ft/sec, creating Rc70 hard martensite in 6 nano-seconds.
The only caution would be that the shock wave propagates through the blade at 20,000 ft/sec, reaching the center in 3 nano-seconds. This may cause the blade to explode in a sort of sonic boom if the two waves collide in the center out of phase. In phase they would just cancel each other out quietly.

Note:
The speed of the conversion from austenite to martensite actually is 20,000 ft/sec. (6100m/sec for you Canadians and Europeans ... or 1 to the -10th power parsec/sec. for you Trekies - .00000000001 prsc/sec)

ba1wmYu.gif

Holy crap, imagine what could happen if you quenched a sphere! Clean energy source? ...or devastating weapon of war?

....and don't forget to rub a red-head....

It's because the hole in the ozone layer lets in too much gravity. This is why ham radios always sound so clear during a full moon, for the same reason you should should quench under a full moon. The quench tank alignment thing is balderdash, as magnetic north is constantly wandering! Pro tip: Be sure to whip up your quenchant with an egg-beater to aerate it for at least 30 minutes before quenching.

Nah, holes in the ozone are letting all the gravity out...that's why I can deadlift more than I could when I was younger. Less gravity
(More levity apparently)

Back