Turkish damascus bowie, extensive WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manuel, I'm from Puerto Rico, and Don Segundo Sombra is (or was, not sure right now) part of the high school reading curriculum; curious fact, it has a quite vivid narration of a gaucho knife fight! Besides being a knifenut, I'm also a booknut, and latin american writers have been a part of my life for as long as I've been able to read. Quiroga's stuff is powerful, sometimes dark, and very wilderness oriented, so these 2 writers wouldn't be out of place in a knife forum. Glad to know you are related to such a big master of literature!

Manuel

I am very much enjoying this WIP -- thank you. I also enjoy seeing your tools. Your twisting Jig is very cool.

Brian

Thank you all, Im glad you are enjoin the thread, I learned a lot from this forums so if I can give something back Im glad.

Zuluninja it's true what you say! LOL
I love Don Segundo Sombra too, and not just because I'm related to the author. I suppose you read Borges too? He is also one of my favorites, lots of knives there too!

Ok, so we continue with today's pictures:

Removing the welds

DSCN2325.jpg

DSCN2326.jpg

DSCN2329.jpg

DSCN2330.jpg

DSCN2331.jpg

Ok, once I had every thing welded and near to final shape I decided to grind all of the excess meat with an angle grinder, down to clean steel, I think I took 2 mm per side.

DSCN2332.jpg

Once I saw every thing had welded correctly I started with the shaping

DSCN2333.jpg

The piece of mild steel didn't make it to the end... but that was no problem at this point. This is what I meant before, if had use equal length bars I would throw away good damascus, this way only the bad ends are discarded.
I cut that with a grinder, in that line

DSCN2334.jpg

DSCN2336.jpg

DSCN2337.jpg

One cut in each side, I don't want any distortions on the pattern

DSCN2338.jpg

DSCN2339.jpg

DSCN2340.jpg

Pretty close

DSCN2341.jpg

DSCN2342.jpg

I did a first rough flattening in the grinder

DSCN2343.jpg

Mark a center line, I made a taper towards the point before I when to the surface grinder, so I need a line to keep every thing even in both sides.

DSCN2348.jpg

DSCN2350.jpg

DSCN2354.jpg

DSCN2356.jpg

DSCN2357.jpg

Ok, the blade welded perfectly.

That is it for today.

Thanks again for looking.

Last edited:
Really enjoying this, Manuel. You make some wonderful damascus and I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Thank you for your comments.

We continue:

This was the first look of the pattern at this point

DSCN2360.jpg

Now the real center line

DSCN2363.jpg

DSCN2364.jpg

Just a carbide bit in a piece of mild steel

DSCN2365.jpg

The first grinding, aprox 45º degrees

DSCN2366.jpg

And then the flats

DSCN2367.jpg

DSCN2368.jpg

One side ready

DSCN2369.jpg

Filing the plunge line

DSCN2371.jpg

And regrinding, notice the compact grain band, I love them.

DSCN2373.jpg

DSCN2374.jpg

320 grit, ready for hardening

DSCN2375.jpg

But before that, a little etching to see whats going on in the pattern

DSCN2380.jpg

And edge hardening

DSCN2381.jpg

DSCN2382.jpg

To be continued...

Question?

What would it look like right now if you JUST polished it out? No etching.

I've always wanted to see that and how obvious the grain would be.

Larry
Tinkerer

Larry,
I can try to take a picture after finishing with the polishing and before etching, but I doubt that with my little camera I will achieve something.
In person you can see some of the pattern, playing with the lights.

Thank you for looking

Thanks so much for this incredibly in-depth tutorial Manuel. It is greatly appreciated.

Manuel, fantastic WIP. Thanks for taking all the extra time to post this up. Another superb looking knife, really looking forward to the end result. Your Damascus is just beautiful and so well controlled.

Jon

Another great work Manuel! See you soon in the expositions of Buenos Aires, you'll set this knife in exhibition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back