• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Turning a fixed blade into a folder?

Infi-del

Gold Member
So let's say I had a fixed blade that I didn't really need. But because the market isn't great I'd lose my butt trying to sell it. Let's also say that that blade would make a heck of a folder knife if you were to cut it down and fit a titanium frame lock situation to it. Are there any makers out there that do that sort of thing? I mean there is no blade craft involved other than modding what's already there. It would mainly be making the handles and fitting everything. I'd be curious about exploring this a little. Suggestions and Makers Names are greatly appreciated.

I think that the cutting the blade to length, drilling the pivot hole and fitting the lock contact area on a blade that has already been hardened would be very difficult.
I think it would be a very labor intensive, and cost prohibitive project.

Bruceter

I think that the cutting the blade to length, drilling the pivot hole and fitting the lock contact area on a blade that has already been hardened would be very difficult.
I think it would be a very labor intensive, and cost prohibitive project.

Bruceter

Agreed.

There's a reason why custom folders are so expensive. There are a lot of minute details that have to be precisely perfect for the knife to function properly.

We have a forum for that. Let's move it and see which knifemakers are interested in trying.

Reese Weiland will do it. He did that to a few Busse knives.

Back