Twig burning stoves?

I suppose I would have to take exception to the notion that building a fire to boil water or cook over a campfire is faster or easier than using a small twig stove, at least from my experience with my Emberlit. In my experience, it is easier to ignite, uses far less fuel, and directs almost all of the heat produced to the cook pot. It does not leave unsightly burn scars or partially burned and charred wood on site. It deploys and packs up at least as quickly as one can prepare a campfire, if not faster. I can boil water in a few minutes using less fuel than it takes to fill a small zip lock baggie. It would be quite difficult to achieve that with a traditional campfire. And the stove itself weighs 5 ounces or so, less than many knives and far less than the water one might boil.

But to each his own.

I suppose I would have to take exception to the notion that building a fire to boil water or cook over a campfire is faster or easier than using a small twig stove, at least from my experience with my Emberlit. In my experience, it is easier to ignite, uses far less fuel, and directs almost all of the heat produced to the cook pot. It does not leave unsightly burn scars or partially burned and charred wood on site. It deploys and packs up at least as quickly as one can prepare a campfire, if not faster. I can boil water in a few minutes using less fuel than it takes to fill a small zip lock baggie. It would be quite difficult to achieve that with a traditional campfire. And the stove itself weighs 5 ounces or so, less than many knives and far less than the water one might boil.

But to each his own.

Agreed.

But to each his own.

Yupper, great little unit.

I had good luck with the BioLite Camp Stove. For a review: http://www.fullmetaltackle.com/2012/08/biolite-campstove.html

An interesting stove. But it does weigh a bit over two pounds. Personally, I don't have a need for electronic devices when outdoors so the charger feature doesn't attract me. We do have a very interesting variety of stoves available now as compared to thirty or forty years ago. And that is a good thing.

The integrated fan really helps keep the heat up and burns the material really clean, the charger is just gravy. I'm a big guy, so the weight doesn't bother me too much, agree it is on the heavy side though.

For the techi outdoorsman I think that stove is pure genius. One of these days I might get one for my iPhone. Hey, you never know when you might need a recharge for some geocachin. ;)

The 9 oz. stainless steel "Solo" wood gas stove seems pricy ($69.99 at a place you can find), but it seems to work well (many reviews but YMMV) and reportedly does not singe a piece of paper put under it while used.

On the other paw, I notice the flames are orange, not blue, on all these backpacking "wood gas" stoves - commercial and do-it-yourself. That suggests regular 'ol combustion - just a fancier (and more $$$) portable wood stove.

More research needed.

Also saw that if you post a filmed review of the Solo stove, you get it free. Hmmmmm. That would be some pressure to be impressed.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Solo Stove, my search lead me to the original (Canadian) and USA version of the same stove, they are both lighter-but pricier. I guess a good idea breeds copycats. I don't know, mine's on order. I might get a Four Dog stove to compare. I have an Emberlite, I like it a lot. The only problem is everytime I assemble or dissemble it I'm sure I'll bend it beyond repair. Hasn't happened yet so maybe it's just me. In the Four Dog stove video the designer actually throws it against a tree without damage, that might be my style.
I guess when I get some of these twig stoves together i'll have to learn how to post a video review.
Merry Christmas

the four dog stove is very stout, I think their is a video of someone standing on it (don't recommend it, but it is stout :))

I was wondering if anybody here had any experience they'd want to share, or any recommendations they'd want to make, regarding small wood burning and twig burning stoves.

I have three, all of them useful.

Best for the money (assuming you can still find them for $10) is the Swiss Volcano Stove.

P1010344.jpg

P1010345.jpg

Top of the heap as far as portability is the Emberlit. I have the older, flatter version.

P1050185.jpg

P1050189.jpg

I also have a Backcountry Boiler, which is an excellent chimney stove in the vein of the Kelly Kettle (only lighter).

P1050172.jpg

Back