Two Cheezeburgerz and a large SNARK

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol. he answered with a Bible verse, judge not... how sweetly ironical. I guess I will keep on buying good ole' blessed in America by Uncle E tools.

WW, I guess the best you can do is get a cheap HF belt sander and have fun with it, it's not until you try it that you start to learn.

I seen a 1x30 belt sander there for 45 bucks... But could you really use something like that for making knives??

In on twelve like a book on a shelve.

Turns out the issue I was having with Legend of Zelda was less with the keys and more with not using the proper beserker button massing strategy. Though it's slightly easier with the larger keys.

I did manage to make around 10 knives with a HF 1 x 30, but it is a lot of work and then it died on me. It did give me good practice, tho, as keeping a straight grind on it is quite a challenge. If you are serious about it, a Craftsman 2 x 42 will give you better results.

Outside:

Inside:

Go Seahawks!!

This is gonna be crazy!!

WW, I guess the best you can do is get a cheap HF belt sander and have fun with it, it's not until you try it that you start to learn.

On another note, the comment I made about not buying HI khuks because they get blessed to their god seems to have irked a mod, who sent me a pm explaining the concept and saying that if I were to base my purchases on religious beliefs, then I should stay with my Beckers and then added that Uncle E is a Christian and probably blesses the knife, employees etc (sarcastic tone? dunno, not gonna ask). I thanked him because I'm a Christian too :D

That's really not anyone's business but your own. The fact that a mod saw fit to complain to you about it seems a bit odd to me.

Doc

I made my first two knives on a 1x30....... they were not that good. It can be done though. I still use it for sharpening and kydex. $45 man just look in any pop mech magazine or many others and theirs always a 15-20% off coupon and usually another for some free cheap flashlight.

I did manage to make around 10 knives with a HF 1 x 30, but it is a lot of work and then it died on me. It did give me good practice, tho, as keeping a straight grind on it is quite a challenge. If you are serious about it, a Craftsman 2 x 42 will give you better results.

I made my first two knives on a 1x30....... they were not that good. It can be done though. I still use it for sharpening and kydex. $45 man just look in any pop mech magazine or many others and theirs always a 15-20% off coupon and usually another for some free cheap flashlight.

For the price i mean... Even if it only works on a few blades it would be a good learning experience... With coupon codes i can get it for about 43 shipped, so it wouldnt be too big of a waste i guess...

Maybe i should do it... It would prolly work pretty well shaping wood if nothing else.

What kind of belts would i need for steel?

I seen a 1x30 belt sander there for 45 bucks... But could you really use something like that for making knives??

I am not a knifemaker, nor will I pretend to be. However, "making knives" is something that I am really trying to do. That being said it seems like there is an general acceptance among those who actually know about knifemaking that the Craftsman 2X42 is not a bad starting out type of grinder albeit it has its limitations. All that aside and looking at it as just a powered bench tool I think it is fantastic. I picked one up a while back pretty much for the sole purpose of cutting my teeth in blade grinding but I have used that thing for a TON of stuff. From just little piddly stuff to larger projects. I really like it a lot as a tool aside from "knifemaking" I guess is the point I am trying to make. Plus the price is right, belts can be had, you can actually order parts through Sears for it, they are easy to find, and its just a neat little tool. Plus I just flat out like Craftsman tools and tools in general :D

I just modifed the platen on mine to glass to make it function better for grinding purposes... My only gripe is I WISH they made it variable speed. I do not understand why they didnt because Craftsman makes their 6" and 8" grinders in variable speed :confused: o well, beggers and choosers and all that lol.

I am not a knifemaker, nor will I pretend to be. However, "making knives" is something that I am really trying to do. That being said it seems like there is an general acceptance among those who actually know about knifemaking that the Craftsman 2X42 is not a bad starting out type of grinder albeit it has its limitations. All that aside and looking at it as just a powered bench tool I think it is fantastic. I picked one up a while back pretty much for the sole purpose of cutting my teeth in blade grinding but I have used that thing for a TON of stuff. From just little piddly stuff to larger projects. I really like it a lot as a tool aside from "knifemaking" I guess is the point I am trying to make. Plus the price is right, belts can be had, you can actually order parts through Sears for it, they are easy to find, and its just a neat little tool. Plus I just flat out like Craftsman tools and tools in general :D

I just modifed the platen on mine to glass to make it function better for grinding purposes... My only gripe is I WISH they made it variable speed. I do not understand why they didnt because Craftsman makes their 6" and 8" grinders in variable speed :confused: o well, beggers and choosers and all that lol.

Yea id definitely rather get the 2x42... once i move and have more room for tools and such ill invest in a better grinder. Im broke though right now spending all my money trying to pay my land off, and improve my credit score so i can move the end of next year hopefully.

But ~50 bucks wouldnt set me back too much... 150-175 is a little more than i could budget in without the wife cocking back and Hercules slapping me in the face LMAO

And see there ya go confusing me... talking about platens and variable speeds and such.... This is why id like to learn in person before i invest bigger money into something.

rough grit aluminum oxide for that one, like a 60 grit or lower

My first belt sander/grinder was a craftsmen. My father in law picked it up for me back in 1998. Still have it and it works great. Do most of my sharpening on it. WW, id suggest spending just a little more and getting the Craftsman. That HF one wont last. Just throwin away your 45 bucks in my opinion. As far as belts. Coarse belts for metal and be sure there made for metal. You wont get far with a woodworking belt.

That being said, rest in peace Joan Rivers. Always kinda liked her.

My first belt sander/grinder was a craftsmen. My father in law picked it up for me back in 1998. Still have it and it works great. Do most of my sharpening on it. WW, id suggest spending just a little more and getting the Craftsman. That HF one wont last. Just throwin away your 45 bucks in my opinion. As far as belts. Coarse belts for metal and be sure there made for metal. You wont get far with a woodworking belt.

That being said, rest in peace Joan Rivers. Always kinda liked her.

RIP, she was a funny lady!!

And id love to grab the craftsman... But it would take so much longer to get... Argghh why cant things be easy....

Im going to go be like that one youtuber who begs for free stuff or ill give bad reviews and see what happens- LMAO -Snark. Id never.

Agreed with Todd. put $50 away for 3 months and get the better unit. The HF thing has plastic wheels, no tracking, really, and is made like poop. It has its uses. Knife making is not one. I've beat the snot out of an old 1x42, and even that I wouldn't try to grind on anymore, though I do shape handles with it regularly. You will save money in materials by starting with a better grinder, and you'll learn more.

Yea id definitely rather get the 2x42... once i move and have more room for tools and such ill invest in a better grinder. Im broke though right now spending all my money trying to pay my land off, and improve my credit score so i can move the end of next year hopefully.

But ~50 bucks wouldnt set me back too much... 150-175 is a little more than i could budget in without the wife cocking back and Hercules slapping me in the face LMAO

And see there ya go confusing me... talking about platens and variable speeds and such.... This is why id like to learn in person before i invest bigger money into something.
Oh I understand lol! The neat thing is just a Google search about the 2x42 and you'll get hit with a plethora of info a lot of which has been commented on by on our own Mr. Terrio! :cool: He seriously is always in those older threads and I love it.

As far as the technical stuff I am right there with you. I have to do things to understand them fully and I love to just play around. That being said a lot is common sense and and safety cause power tools be powerful lol and I like my fingers and eyes. There is a metric ton of info about the grinder on BF.

I too was going to pick up the little harbor freight but after messing around with one I wasn't all that impressed plus I thought to myself, sure this could get me started but I know I will upgrade or I will need to replace it so I might as well hold out for a bit longer and get something better suited. Plus my wife who is being so supportive of my knife addiction and illness basically said she would rather get the nicer better option and she is impossible to argue with Lol!

Well you guys are talking me out of the cheap one... Hate wasting money. But really would like to try grinding some steel.

Patience is a virtue i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back