Two For Tuesday

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by B Griffin, Sep 17, 2013.

1. solid4ever

solid4ever

Feb 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    WOW! These two look like an awesome team!

I meant to take another pic for the T for T thread...but life got in the way, so I'm going to post this one...

[​IMG]

3. SubaruSTi

SubaruSTi

Nov 28, 2005
    that Osage looks great. We have tons of hedge trees in my woods, I would love to have a FB with a Osage handle. Tough as nails and hardly ever rots, hence the hedge post usage. My grandfather must have made and installed hundreds on our property back in his day. He was always building a shed out of natural wood from our farm. many are still in okay condition after 40+ years.

4. thurin

thurin Wanderer

Dec 19, 2012
    One of these days I'll get a matching set of handles. I'm loving all the maroon, osage, tuxedo, orange burlap, etc.

My two-fer today is a couple of Scandi's that I really like using when carving on some wood:

Kephart and Arete

[​IMG]

5. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Really nice pair of knives. I have been contemplating another Scandi in tapered 1/8 or 3/32 for carving and bushcraft. Maybe an Arete would be the best option for me there. I have never handled an Arete.

6. HWF

HWF

Apr 1, 2012
    A pair of Bushfingers. TPVT is letting me try out his beautiful skeletonized handle finger. Really a nice knife. Even though it's 5/32" it is noticeably lighter and very well balanced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. essublime

essublime

Aug 7, 2011
    Maroon ED Karda & Bushboot with another nice shed. These are two of my favorite smaller Fiddlebacks; both 1/8" tapered...

[​IMG]

8. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Yep, I sooo want a Woodchuck!

I am thinking skeletonized may be the best way to go for the wife's next Hiking Buddy. She really likes the handle diameter of the one she has, just isn't crazy about the scandi grind for her primary uses.

Those look great! I love the grind height on that 1/8 Bushboot. If mine had that same grind I would have put up more of a fight when my wife wanted it...but then again, so would she lol.

9. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    More dressing in the process of being made, with the little one and I working together :)

[​IMG]

10. HWF

HWF

Apr 1, 2012
    Most excellent!

11. thurin

thurin Wanderer

Dec 19, 2012
    My two EDC that kinda match. Blackwood EDKarda and Tuxedo Runt in RLO.

[​IMG]

12. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Yep, the blackwood and the tuxedo do damn near match, same thing going on in my above post with the Woodsman and Recluse :) Now I am wanting a tuxedo Woodsman, or at least some other synthetic handle because I love it in the kitchen.

13. HWF

HWF

Apr 1, 2012
    I've got the woodsman in my cross hairs. Such a nice looking blade and your posts don't help! ;) :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

14. plue

plue

Oct 3, 2012
    There's some very beautiful knives in this thread!

15. thurin

thurin Wanderer

Dec 19, 2012
    I'd really like a Woodsman one of these days too.

Hmmmm - maybe I need to find a Tuxedo Woodsman to trade for your Blackwood. Then I'd have a matching set, Woodsman and EDKarda - those two seem to be quintessential examples of Andy's style and blade shape.

16. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    I have always wanted a knife in the kitchen that if for-whatever-reason...I had to bug out in the middle of cooking...and I cook a lot, I wouldn't mind it being the one I had with me when I bugged out. The Woodsman is as perfect for that role as I have found yet. The only ways it could possibly suit my needs/wants there any better would be if it had a synthetic handle material, it were 3/16 thick with a full-height grind, and just a bit more downward swell at the pommel end somewhat like the Camp but not as prominent, and both of the latter two would be to aid in any necessary chopping that might come along in the woods. But that said, I wouldn't feel under-knifed grabbing this one and running.

17. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    I have always wanted a knife in the kitchen that if for-whatever-reason...I had to bug out in the middle of cooking...and I cook a lot, I wouldn't mind it being the one I had with me when I bugged out. The Woodsman is as perfect for that role as I have found yet. The only ways it could possibly suit my needs/wants there any better would be if it had a synthetic handle material, it were 3/16 thick with a full-height grind, and just a bit more downward swell at the pommel end somewhat like the Camp but not as prominent, and both of the latter two would be to aid in any necessary chopping that might come along in the woods. But that said, I wouldn't feel under-knifed grabbing this one and running.

Indeed there are!

If you like to cook, and like the woods, you owe it to yourself to get a Woodsman. If you don't believe me, just ask steelyguns :)

18. willic

willic Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2013
    Does anyone use a Duke on the kitchen? How is is different from a Woodsman? I realize it is a little shorter....

19. ErichM

ErichM

Jun 3, 2011
    Hey Mist, check this one out... 3/16", coffee sack Burlap
    2012-06-11 19.42.39.jpg
    full tang makes it a bit heavy though

20. solid4ever

solid4ever

Feb 17, 2013
    The duke is the same length as the woodsman. It's just got a fatter blade. It's like if someone stretched a hunter out to woodsman length.