UG vs CGG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, this forum had been a tremendous library on all things CRK, you guys are super knowledgeable!

As I only own one sebenza (numbers will increase I suspect), I have become intrigued with those that have beautiful patterns on them.

As I understand it, there are two versions: “UG” (unique graphic) and “CGG” (computer generated graphic).

What are the differences between the 2 (manufacturing process, end result etc)?

And price-wise, leaving aside special editions, vintage pieces, will the “UG” be generally more expensive than the “CCG” Knives?

Many thanks!

CGG are graphics that are computer generated and can be repeated exactly over and over. CRK will design and select a said design and offer it currently for one year. In years past, they would offer the design for several years until new CGG would replace them. In the past they were milled using CAD, now they have evolved into some laser work as well. Some designs have Anodized colors to add to the design.

UG are graphics that Lisa does on a manual mill. All designs are unique and one of a kind. If a design is wanted to be duplicated, Lisa can make one similar, but it would never be exactly the same. The UG’s are metal art in the CRK form. Many have stones and in most cases the designs flows from it. As with the CGG, Anodized colors can be added to add to the beauty of the design. There are also reverse contrast designs which are blasted Ti or milled with no colors added leaving the design Ti colored. UG’s are usually more of a personal design in that some will see it and pass over it while another will see it as love at first sight and snatch it up.

UG’s are pricier than the CGG because of the added colors that can be added, stones, and Damascus blades. CGG are currently $550 I believe while plain blade UG’s with a stone can be in the $780 range.

I am a Huge fan of both and only have a couple plain sebenzas and some wood inlays. All the rest are UG and CGG.

That is a wealth of information, in the first post too!

Thank you so much for the useful reference point and I’ll be looking to add both CGG and UG to my collection!

This’s going to sound sacrilegious but wood doesn’t do anything for me.

Famous last words till I actually buy one

88F0535E-167F-4927-9E7C-00005250CD14.jpeg
That is a wealth of information, in the first post too!

Thank you so much for the useful reference point and I’ll be looking to add both CGG and UG to my collection!

This’s going to sound sacrilegious but wood doesn’t do anything for me.

Famous last words till I actually buy one

I never had a wood inlay for years as I was always buying CGG/UG. Inlays are a little more hand filling. They are every bit as nice with the added flare of natural beauty. Currently I am EDCing a large 21 UG and a large 21 spalted beech.

Pic#1: This is my “ Elk Mountain” CGG. You can see how it’s milled using an computer aided milling machine. Large 21

Pic#2: This is a Unique Graphic that I have. I just use the dealers pic as it looks better than one I could take. I saw this design and just had to have it. Like I said, many times, that’s how UG’s are. You may look at it and be like Ick....lol. Large 21

Pic#3: The is the “ Night Sky” UG. On this one you can see that it’s clearly done on the manual mill. These two happen to match very very well, but as you can see, they will never be exact. Large & Small Regular

Pic#4: This is the “Native American” CGG. It has nice straight lines and designs that you know are not hand done like the Night Sky. Large Regular.

I could go on and on with pics, but this is just a few to help show you the differences. Btw, what good are posts without pics....?....lol.

C83556AD-673B-4D39-8EA5-07E7BA63799D.jpeg 97F4548D-2ECB-4C65-AB92-433129E3074D.jpeg
C9110C5C-0B8D-483A-866D-5EBE46708AC1.jpeg A11C6681-71C1-4B99-BB24-B90B2D08FDEF.jpeg

Do some distributors get more UGs than others? I'm having a hard time finding any in stock.

Sadly the only one I have, cant wait to add more in future!!

Confession time, I’ve bought a CRK maroon lanyard with bead as I thought it would compliment the knife!

Watched so many videos on take down, cleaning, lubing and putting the knife back again but this non technical brain of a person is really afraid once it comes apart, the centering will be screws. Gotta muster up the courage I guess.

Attachments

• 65A00574-2927-4034-8D18-7EA8AFDAB95F.jpeg
    65A00574-2927-4034-8D18-7EA8AFDAB95F.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 5E723CB3-E336-4FA5-AD89-6561ABBA40B0.jpeg
    5E723CB3-E336-4FA5-AD89-6561ABBA40B0.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Looking through my Chris Reeve Collection I found this one, interesting that it's called unique, could this be a one of a kind?

I’ve never seen a plain polished handle with a stone in it.

Some more UG/CGG From days gone by. This is for those who haven't already seen them from my past posts. Can you tell which one has the BG42 blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back