Ultimate Survival Knife, any suggestions?

Thanks Ralf. Neil charged me a very reasonable fee of $50 for the work, and I threw in a little more to cover the shipping costs. It's been my experience that Neil's delivery times are very reasonable especially considering how in-demand his work has been lately. This particular project got sidetracked a little bit, but through no fault of Neil's. He had an unfortunate accident breaking his ankle shortly after I sent the knife to him and as a result he didn't have access to all of the required machinery during his recovery.

The knife does not fit the original kydex Mission sheath when the scales are attached which is a shame because the Mission sheath is one of the nicest I've ever seen. I believe these sheaths were subcontracted to Tim Wegner's outfit. I will be having another sheath made to accomodate the knife with scales shortly.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

great post and knife and pics, bronco.

I've been think of some handle modifications, too.

At the risk of sounding like a smarta**, I will contend that the ultimate survival knife is the one you like enough to carry on your person every single day. That way you actually have it one you when you really need it in a survival situation.

I taught survival skills at Boy Scout camps for years. ANY sharp knife will work, but only if you have it with you. Survival is a state of mind and mental preparedness, not a set of equipment.

Having said all of this, a small fixed blade or a rugged folder would be my choice. One knife that is ALWAYS on my person is a CRK Umfaan. It will most certainly be there when or if I need it to survive. If I'm also hiking, hunting, fishing, camping, etc., then either my Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner or my Simonich Talonite Cetan is on my belt. I could build ANY shelter, prep any game/food, etc., with either knife.

AJ

familiar and sorta amusing. someone finally brings up the "always on ya or it aint survival" position, then suggests a knife they don't always have on them.

smile.gif

I still want to know why someone would carry a SAK and a multi-tool together. Not being a wise a**, I just don't see the point.

Bill,
Great pictures
smile.gif
I now have my own lathe so even with a broken foot, I would still be able to make knife parts! I have a Stellite knife project coming up after the new year that will use the same style handle system.
I have never been a big fan of Ti. knives due to edgeholding considerations. After handling that knife, OVER AND OVER AND OVER
wink.gif
I must say that the amount of knife vs weight changes the whole picture. When I brought the knife to my full time job to make the inserts, several people handled it and asked.... WOW!! What the hell is it made of??? I just said I didn't know, they found it with some wreckage in Rozwell NM!
biggrin.gif

Neil

------------------
Talonite......Stellite
Knives in STOCK!! I just updated my website, PLEASE take a look :)

blackwoodknives.com

That's great news, Neil. It's about time Dr. Lathe had his own lathe.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

I have spent many days on the trail with a pack, and more in a primitive hunt'n camp. More free gear can be had on the trail your trekking than most others. If you must carry a chopper, get a good 12" machete, then when you chuck it away your not out big bucks. I carry at least three knives, the original leatherman, SOG Northwest Ranger, and a 4" or less folder. What it comes down to are what feels good in your hands, don't go cheap but don't go crazy either. Have a great trip!!

Well, I haven't spent a HUGE amount of time in the woods, but I have spent several days at a time, on "groomed" trails, and some on the Appalachian. The only knife that I've ever taken and used was a Buck Vanguard in 420HC steel. It served me well, held its edge long, and worked for everything from cutting small branches (up to about 2 inches in diameter) to pounding in tent stakes (it has a nice flat pommel, not made for hammering, but fully capable of it). It is not the best chopper, as it is light enough to not put a huge extra burden on your back, but it will chop in an emergency. With the hollow grind, it has cut very nicely everything I've needed to. And it is easy enough to sharpen. Nice drop point shape, too. The only other knife that I have taken is a SAK, Climber model I believe, but I would say that is the best choice. I'd probably go with one of the larger models, one that has at least some light duty pliers. I would make sure to sharpen one of those blades scalpel sharp just in case, and NEVER use that blade unless you need a scalpel. I think a SAK set up like that would probably fulfill your needs as good as a multi-tool, and with less weight.

I have a friend that through-hiked the AT, and I think all he carried was one SAK, fairly small, and with few tools. I, however, have never had to carry so much that the Vanguard and a folder have been an undue burden.

My 2 cents.

OH YEAH, almost forgot; for me, the Vanguard with BG42 is about the best money can buy, if you can find it. I have one of those as well. It's just that the standard Vanguard is the one that I have the most miles with.
------------------
iktomi

[This message has been edited by rockspyder (edited 12-12-2000).]

Crazy,
Welcome to the Forums
smile.gif

In long run trail (if you are planning pure cutting only) you definitely should use a good, not too large stainless steel fixed blade with flat grind and handy plastic grip. This one will require the least maintenance and will work well for wide range of cutting tasks. I could advise SPYDERCO Bill Moran Featherweight if you like as light knife as possible.
If you prefer somewhat stronger knife with similar dimensions you can't go wrong with Fällkniven F1 knife.
If some extra grams are not a problem for you and/or you are going to chop with your knife think about Fällkniven S1 Forest Knife.
If you are pretty large man and/or you are going to chop and pry with your knife Fällkniven A1 would be very reasonable choice.
Their knives are among the strongest in each dimension group, please visit Test section at www.fallkniven.com to become convinced.

BTW, "the best knife money can buy" probably doesn't exist. All depends on your particular needs, liking, environment and a lot of factors more.

But if you do want to get as much knife for each your dollar as possible - I think you will not regret following my advice.

As usually this is just my humble opinion.

My D2 Ka-Bar with a Leatherman Super tool in the Eagle sheath.
(great steel, cheap enough to use, semi stainless)
Or the knife you have with you at the time...

Better than finger nails!

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

You can always tell those that have actually traveled in the wilderness versus those that just dream about it. You might find a few thru hikers with big blades on the AT just starting out in Georgia, but they learn quick that every once of with counts and there really is nothing to do with a big blade on the AT - or any other wilderness trail. I have done extensive treking and travel all over the world and can confirm that the only knife that most people will ever need is a swiss army type or a multi tool. I actually carry the Leatherman Wave now. I wonder what peiople mean when they talk about "chopping". 90 percent of the "cutting" on the AT is to cut mole skin for your blisters. A multi tool is handy for fixing zippers, bending pack hardware or screwing eyeglasses back together.

For survival type situations, look at what the experts use. I have done two Boulder Outdoor Survival School (BOSS) field courses and their instructors all carry cheap (about $ 15) Mora knives with a 4 inch blade. The Mora is perfect for making fire sets, trap triggers and can actually fell trees up to eight inches. The best thing about the Mora is its flat grind. You can make them razor sharp in minutes - even with just a piece of sandstone! For jungle or heavy cutting on their South American or Mexican trips BOSS just uses locally purchased machete's -sometmes cutting them down to save weight.

billd,
Welcome to BF! Great first post. I like Mora's too but prefer a knife a little more bomb proof. I would vote for a bit more substantial blade/handle like that of a Helle, Bruselleto, or even a Grohmann. All three are still pretty light but a little more solidly built than the cheaper Moras.

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Hoodoo,
Thanks. My post about backpacking knives nonwithstanding, I'm a knife Knut too. I have several big bad knives - I just do not carry them on back packing trips. I will even confess that I carried a CS Master Hunter on my survival trips. It's strong, easy to sharpen, not too heavy and not too expensive.
I am planning on doing the BOSS winter survival trip next month in Alberta. It's taught by Mors Kochanski, author of "Bushcraft" and a legend on knife and ax use. He's the guy who supposedly built a 10 by 10 log cabin with roof in less than 24 hours using only a Mora with 4 inch blade.
I'm enjoying this forum.

Back