1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Ulu SOLD

Discussion in 'For Sale: Fixed Blades' started by G L Drew, Jun 19, 2020.

1. G L Drew

G L Drew KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 3, 2005
    I am a big believer in using a known steel for my knives, that way I know exactly how to heat treat them for proper hardness and a fine grain structure. However I was given a saw blade that begged to be made into an ulu. L6 is a common steel used in saw blades so I used a recipe from my resources to anneal, heat treat and temper this ulu. It worked because I was able to drill and saw the steel in it's annealed condition and it hardened to about Rc 60. I forged the edge to shape and put some texture with blacksmith patina on the flats. The handle is a piece of caribou antler that I have had in my shop since a hunting trip to Alaska years ago.
    The handle is 6 inches long with the opening for fingers at 3 inches. I can only get three fingers comfortably into the opening but there is plenty of room outside the opening for an index finger.
    The cutting edge from tip to tip is 7 1/4 inches
    Depth from the top of the handle to the edge is 5 1/4 inches
    I will make some kind of edge guard, probably leather, later today

SOLD delivered within the US. My PayPal and email address is [email protected]

[​IMG]IMG_4636 by Gerald Drew, on Flickr[Gerald Drew, on Flickr[​IMG]IMG_4809 by Gerald Drew, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_4813 by Gerald Drew, on Flickr[​IMG]IMG_4810 by Gerald Drew, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  2. abiggs

abiggs Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I’ve always wanted an ulu. Who better to buy it from than my favorite maker! I’ll take it Gerry!

mycough likes this.
  3. G L Drew

G L Drew KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 3, 2005
    Thanks, Abiggs. I got your PayPal and your ulu will go out in the morning.

4. Shintaro29

Shintaro29 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Nice....

5. Ueadiwen

Ueadiwen

Apr 12, 2015
    Very nice, wonderful looking blade.

6. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    So I assume there are more coming from that saw blade? Nice.

7. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Cutting edge of 7 1/4 inches seems very appropriate, given a 7 1/4” saw is regarded as one of the most versatile of saws.

I am bleeding likes this.
  8. pavhav

pavhav

Aug 25, 2019
    Looking forward to the rest of those getting completed. Well done.

9. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I can testify to the effectiveness of Gerry’s ulus. He made one for me last year, which I gave to my daughter for Christmas. Every time she uses it she lets me know that it’s “scary good.”