Umnumzaan Questions

TL,DR just in case:
If I love carrying a large Tanto 21 and a Sebenza 25, do you think I would or wouldn't enjoy edc-ing a Tanto Umnumzaan/what should I consider before purchasing this knife?

Hey all. Hoping you might be able to help me out with some Zaan questions. I'm about to buy my third CRK. I've had more in he past but am currently only after a small number of users. Right now I have a large 21 Tanto Micarta and a 25. I really love both.

I've been thinking for a long time that the next will be either a 21 or inkosi Insingo in a large, but the Tanto Umnumzaan is really calling my name. I'll also state that while I was nervous that I wouldn't like a Tanto grind and that they were "tactical" or not great in an EDC role, I've found myself really loving that shape on my 21.

So, what I want to know about the Tanto Zaan is, if I already like edc-ing a Tanto, is there anything about this particular knife that might make it a bad edc choice?

What is the hollow grind like? Same as on the 25/inkosi? Or thinner?

I think those are my two big questions. I'm perfectly satisfied with the slicing ability and food prep ability on my 25, so I guess I want to know if I'd be sacrificing in that regard with an Umnumzaan.

I know it's a large knife in a lot of ways, which I prefer. But I guess I still want a gem of an edc knife to carry and use often, and I think I'm a little nervous because, depending on who you ask, it's either a bulky, overbuilt folder with a tactical design OR it's a typically awesome CRK that is a dream to carry and use as an edc.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm curious as well since my next CRK will either a large 21 Tanto or Umnumzaan. Y'all haven't made the decision any easier with all the Zaan pics the last few days.

I don’t think a ‘Zaan is better than a 21 or an Inkosi for EDC tasks. IMO, one is meant for this and the other two are meant for that. The handles of the Inkosi and 21 are more EDC friendly. I also would never consider the Tanto blade a better EDC blade than the Insingo or DP. DP, Insingo, and Tanto is the way I would rate CRK’s blades for EDC.

With all that being said, I am currently EDC-ing a ‘Zaan Tanto and it does anything I need. I don’t think there’s a CRK that won’t do what you ask. I, in no way, use 95% of my knives to their abilities. I did beat on my ‘Zaan Tanto and it asked for more, but I stopped.

I’m carrying it in my pocket and it’s chilling in the suburbs. This is what my knives mainly do all the time.

If you like the blade shape than put that aside and think about the design. Handle and construction is very different from the 21/Inkosi. I like my Umnumzaan but the 21 rides in my pocket more often.

If you like the blade shape than put that aside and think about the design. Handle and construction is very different from the 21/Inkosi. I like my Umnumzaan but the 21 rides in my pocket more often.

What would you say in term of blade thickness and hollow grind-ness? Do you see a huge difference in slicing ability between the two?

What would you say in term of blade thickness and hollow grind-ness? Do you see a huge difference in slicing ability between the two?

Inkosi and Umnumzaan have same blade thickness. I think a 21 would edge out a bit in slicing being slightly thinner, but frankly if you're looking for a knife just to slice with you could do better than a CRK folder, e.g. Spyderco Stretch or Military.

Being a newbie with the Umnum, appears to have a more pronounced or "deeper" hollow grind like that of a 21 rather than the "shallower" hollow gring of the inkosi and 25.. I do some looking and get back on that...

edit... On the website it refers to the 21 as a standard hollow grind, and the Inkosi as a large hollow grind. Can't find a description for the Umnums grind. I'll dig deeper.
Also, There was a thread here showing a visual of the grind depths that was awesome using paper, light, and shadow. I think it was Kidcongo who did it... I don't think they showed the Umnum, but I'll go search for the thread.

edit... found it, Wavicles thread... https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...inkosi-ti-lock-insingo.1410052/#post-16257708

I did roughly the same test with my Umnum and had a very similiar result as the 21. Love it. So, result, thicker blade stock with a standard grind. Maybe this has been mentioned before.

Last edited:
The hollow grind on the Zaan is somewhere between the 21 and Inkosi/25. Its sorta a marriage between the 21 and 25 in a way. Has blade thickness of 25 but hollow grind of 21 with slightly thicker blade.

A Few COMPARISONS:

• thick blade like 25/inkosi
  • detent ball lock interface like 25/inkosi
  • hollow grind like 21
  • handle a bit straight like 21
  • handle small finger groves like 25/inkosi
  • pocket clip like 25 (close edge of lock bar)
  • thinner (in width) lockbar like 25/inkosi (not that it matters)
  • pivot diameter and no pivot bushing like 25/inkosi
  • best wilson combat variation in terms of texture/design
  • UNIQUE- unlike 21/25/inkosi blade stop is the thumb studs
  • UNIQUE- harpoon blade shape
  • UNIQUE- best pivot design (old pivot versions)

Last edited:
Crude reall quick pic

Thanks! But I meant the internals. The outsides are obvious and I've had an Umnumzaan apart (old pivot). I thought the Inkosi had a similar larger pivot, did they change on later Umnumzaan models (apart from the fastener)?

Thanks! But I meant the internals. The outsides are obvious and I've had an Umnumzaan apart (old pivot). I thought the Inkosi had a similar larger pivot, did they change on later Umnumzaan models (apart from the fastener)?

The diameter are same as far as I know internally both in older versions and newer ones. Just exterior aesthetics.

The diameter are same as far as I know internally both in older versions and newer ones. Just exterior aesthetics.

Got it, that was my understanding as well but I haven't opened up a newer knife. The aesthetics on the newer model are a bit lacking for sure, but I did not love a special four pronged delrin tool being required to open the knife up..

A tanto is a tanto is a tanto. You've already got one that will cover your needs as far as a tanto goes. The only drawback on the Umnumzaan tanto is that you loose the top swedge that the drop point has. I find that the top swedge on the Umnumzaan comes in useful at times and it saves on me using the good edge for scraping.
I've got both a 21 and Umnumzaan tanto, cant say I prefer one over the other. I would say the 21 is a better slicer because it has a thinner blade stock. But that only stands to reason that a thinner blade is a better slicer.

I'd like to know if the lock bar interferes with or makes gripping it uncomfortable. From the pic it looks like it sticks up above the frame but that doesn't mean it's uncomfortable.

I'd like to know if the lock bar interferes with or makes gripping it uncomfortable. From the pic it looks like it sticks up above the frame but that doesn't mean it's uncomfortable.

The handle grip is very comfortable. The only complain I would have is that the tip of the pocket clip is somewhat uncomfortable but other than that is awesome.

Back