Umnumzaan Questions

I like the 21 and wasn't really impressed with the Inkosi. Main thing I like about the 21 are grip, ease of take down and pivot bushing. Didn't like fiddling with the pivot on the Inkosi to get it right. So, do you think I would like an Umnumzann?
I have no issues with getting another 21.:)

I like the 21 and wasn't really impressed with the Inkosi. Main thing I like about the 21 are grip, ease of take down and pivot bushing. Didn't like fiddling with the pivot on the Inkosi to get it right. So, do you think I would like an Umnumzann?

Well if its the OLD PIVOT Umnumzaan then definitely recommend. The new pivot version the detent hole on the blade is drilled through and is very slightly harder to deploy but still very good. As far as getting it right to adjust the pivot trust me its super easy and I haven't disassembled my Inkosi/Zaan for months and still smooth as glass. I would honestly say that the Inkosi I have has the smoothest opening/closing out of all my CRK. The Zaan would be second followed by the 21. But the 21 has best feel in hand in my opinion and love the pivot bushing system. Honestly if I were you at one point I would give all them a try. If anything get a used one from the Exchange if you don't like it catch and release. You won't lose much if you sell it for same as you bought it. Just my 2 cents.

I feel like I've just about 100% switched from planning on buying a large Insingo to buying a Tanto Zaan. Funds should be in my possession soon!

Fiddling with the pivot has not been an issue for me with the Umnumzaan (but it has with non-CRK washer-pivot knives). My guess is that it's due to the tolerances involved.

On the contrary, I actually like being able to adjust the the feel of the knife. I usually run mine a bit tight so that when I thumb-flick it locks with a soft, muted thug. If I want a super smooth, resistance-free glide for riding the thumb stud at the expense of a harsher lockup when flipping, I just set it that way--no blade play. Something in between? No problem.

Fiddling with the pivot has not been an issue for me with the Umnumzaan (but it has with non-CRK washer-pivot knives). My guess is that it's due to the tolerances involved.

On the contrary, I actually like being able to adjust the the feel of the knife. I usually run mine a bit tight so that when I thumb-flick it locks with a soft, muted thug. If I want a super smooth, resistance-free glide for riding the thumb stud at the expense of a harsher lockup when flipping, I just set it that way--no blade play. Something in between? No problem.

Couldn't agree more! That's what I love about my 25, that adjustability.

Something for me to think about this weekend. At the start of the week I was 75% on a new 21 and now it's 50/50. I kinda wants something new.

If you didn't like the Inkosi because of fiddling with the pivot, you'll probably not like the Umnumzaan.
The grip on the Umnumzaan is very comfortable, so that wouldn't be a issue.
Actually, if you look at the Umnumzaan, there's only two screw assemblies that hold it together. One less than a 21 since the Umnumzaan has no stop pin. But, it does take three wrenches to pull it apart :( and two to dial in the pivot to your liking.
For me, I love the adjustable pivot on the Inkosi,25 and Umnumzaan because not only do the scratches, snail trails and wear make it mine, but I can dial in the action of the blade and make it unique to me.

My 21s are just as smooth as my Inkosi was. They drop free when the lock bar is released and I can pop them open by pressing down on the jimping. I like that I can tighten down the pivot and not worry if it's too loose or tight.
I do see the appeal of the adjustable pivot though and the Zaan just looks wicked.
My buddy has one and he'll let me borrow it for a day or two.

I didn't know so much decision went into buying a knife... with me it goes like:

Do I like the knife, or at least the 'idea' of it enough to try it out?

Do I have the $ to burn?

Is there a decent deal on one in the Exchange or a retailer I deal with?

If answers are 'yes' then I buy it (that's how I got my Zaan). If it does not work out and we don't jive then I sell it. Stuff like pivot and blade comparisons, what 'slices thinner' , bla bla, are over complicating things. What are you all slicing, carrots? If I want to slice something I'll use a kitchen knife ;)

One thing I have learned is you can study pictures of knives 'till the cows come home. You need to handle the knife in your own hands to see how it's going to work. I have found no knife to be an exception to this.

Back