• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Unhappy with Zero Tolerance customer service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been on this site for many years and used to post here a lot. Over the last few years I have enjoyed reading the post here more than being a part of them. On to my rant. Part of my job duties entail being a SWAT Team Commander. On my gear I carry a ZT 0100. I ordered 0200's for all of my team members and they love them. After running an op I managed to get a suspects blood on the handle of the knife (before you ask I didn't shoot or stab anyone, suspect tripped trying to run away and the blood was transferred from him while he was being cuffed). I removed the scales to get all the blood off and when I pulled the scales off one of the handle screws along with a threaded insert flew off and I wasn't able to find it. I contacted ZT/Kershaw and they stated they could send me handle screws but not the threaded insert, I would have to send the knife to them. I told them that I didn't care about price I just need the parts. This piece is just a small tube that is threaded on the inside and it fits inside the holes drilled through the tang. Nothing complicated or mechanical. I expressed this to the customer support division and now they won't respond to me. I can't believe that a company supposedly selling products for law enforcement and military has such poor customer service. I have over 2k dollars worth ZT knives and probably another 3k of Kershaw knives but I wont be buying any more of them unless they improve their customer service. Back to Benchmade and Spyderco.

Do you think you could find this insert at one of the online knife making websites..I know that is not the easiest way to do it. But at least you can fix it . Alpha Supply or someone like them may be able to hook you up

How is this poor customer service? They stated they will fix it if you send the knife in, according to their policy.
Send it in. Problem Solved.

I'm going to have to find something somewhere to get it fixed. Problem with sending it in is that if it gets damaged or stolen along the way ZT could care less. Dealing with a UPS insurance claim is a major pain too.

I understand thats how you guys feel but why is it that they will send you torsion bars and everything else but not a simple threaded insert. They should sell parts for their products and they don't.

I'm going to have to find something somewhere to get it fixed. Problem with sending it in is that if it gets damaged or stolen along the way ZT could care less. Dealing with a UPS insurance claim is a major pain too.

Why should they care? That's not their problem or anything they have the slightest control over.
Send it in registered mail, insured and there likely will be no problem.

Ship it USPS and it's not very likely at all to get damaged or stolen. If it does have a receipt go to your post office they'll fix you up and you'll have your money. It's not up to ZT to insure your packages you send them. Why should they care?

Problem with sending it in is that if it gets damaged or stolen along the way ZT could care less. Dealing with a UPS insurance claim is a major pain too.

That's the same for getting any knife fixed under warranty. It wouldn't make any difference if it was Benchmade or Spyderco.

ZT is abiding by it's warranty policy and stands ready to make you whole. If you do what they ask and return the knife to them, they'll do what you want and fix it for you. Seems to me the ball's in your court, not in theirs.

The ZT Warranty FAQ states:

CAN I HAVE A PART SENT TO ME?
We can send you screws, pocketclips, torsion bars, pivot bolt and screws, and handle screws. We cannot send blades, handle scales, liners, etc. If you need a blade, more than one part, or parts other than those we can ship, please send your knife in for warranty service. If you want us to ship you screws, a pocketclip, a torsion bar, pivot bolts and screws, or handle screws, please use the Contact Us form on the bottom of this page to request parts. Remember that parts are specific to each knife model, so please make sure the model number is included in your request for parts. You can locate the four-digit model number (for example, 0350) on the blade.​

So, they're explicit on what they can send. Also, I know if you request too many different parts, that they can send, they'll email you to send it in.

Anyway, I highly recommend you send it in with shipping insurance.

Maybe they changed the way it's built and want to upgrade yours? If that's the case they might not even have that part on hand anymore.

How long since you last heard from them?

If you do not want to send it in, the part is probably available through Jantz, or Knifekits. ZT is just following their company protocol, just like you have to do as a law enforcement operative. Perhaps it is an insurance liability issue, on their end. Why hold it against them?

Send it in via USPS priority insured. Then it will come back like new with a re-sharpened blade.

I will check those sites out stonesell thanks. Lol its nice that they sharpen knives sent in, but that's just one more reason not to send it. That knife is a pain to reprofile, I would not want it messed up and have to do it all over again. I love the cpm3v but it is tough to sharpen even with diamonds.

You can request for them not to sharpen it...

As for the knife breaking during shipping. It's a .190" thick piece of CPM3V steel with G-10 slabs on it, really doubt it will break. Just insure it and send it to them. They will take care of you.

If you include a note on the form from the website when you send it in saying you don't want it sharpened, they will probably accommodate.
You can't really say this is poor customer service, when you make every excuse not to be serviced...... but choose to bash a company whose not responsible for the actions of yourself or any third party entity.

You are overcomplicating something that does not need to be. You wrap your knife up so it doesn't cut its way out of the box, tape it up really, really well, send it Priority Mail. Include a note as well as the warranty form located on their site and you indicate what you want or don't want done to your knife. Simple. Their customer service has changed over the last couple years, I cannot say if it has gotten better or worse as it is up to the individual working through it to decide.

Making excuses of damage, theft, and a general mentality of "worse case scenario" isn't going to help you get anything accomplished. One other thing, 3V steel can be easily sharpened with as little as wet/dry automotive sandpaper and a mouse pad. KAI has steps in place in order to get items fixed or replaced if needed. That is what needs to be done. :thumbup:

You can't really say this is poor customer service, when you make every excuse not to be serviced...... but choose to bash a company whose not responsible for the actions of yourself or any third party entity.

This

Sorry to say it but it sounds like you are making it hard for them to help you. Send it in, insure it, label the blade not to be sharpened and make a note on the warranty service form that you don't want it sharpened. I don't know what other excuses there could be :confused:

Still not sure if I want to send it in, just out of curiosity can I send a return insurance label? I know someone here has to know if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back