1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Unveiling the BYXCO "Black Magic" Honing Plate

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by FortyTwoBlades, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Baron Mind

Baron Mind

Mar 30, 2018
    That's cool. There's just a spot to enter them during check out so I figured it was worth a shot!

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Yeah, I'd take it out if I could, but it's hard-coded into our present e-commerce platform. :p

3. Diemaker

Diemaker

Apr 28, 2017
    Damn, that Hexaloy looks like it might make an interesting knife blade, like for a paring knife.

4. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Silicon carbide is REALLY brittle and wouldn't support a form as thin as a paring knife. Zirconia ceramic is usually used for ceramic knives because of its relatively high toughness for a ceramic material, and even those are notorious for chipping easily.

5. Baron Mind

Baron Mind

Mar 30, 2018
    Well I ordered my 2x4 plate. Really excited to take this bad boy for a spin

6. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
    Wheres the bench stone at?

7. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Workin' on it. Only have so much capital to throw around, and I have multiple projects ongoing at the moment. :)

DeadboxHero likes this.
  8. Baron Mind

Baron Mind

Mar 30, 2018
    Just wanted to say it's awesome to see people experimenting and pushing the limits with new abrasives, especially American companies. Even though I've been dabbling with bonded diamonds lately, I'd still like to see more attempts to produce finer grit coated diamond plates. Everyone stops at 1200 grit except DMT, and there offerings above EF are relatively limited.

MtnHawk1 and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  9. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 14, 2017
    Gonna have to get me one.

10. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
    Be interesting to cross compare to the spyderco ultrafine.

11. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    @FortyTwoBlades What are the chance's of us ever seeing an edge pro size Black Magic Sintered Silicon Carbide version of that stone you sell.

I think out of all the stones you sell that one for sure makes the most sense to make for an edge pro format size.

12. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    I'd have to look into the tooling costs, but it's the most likely one out of the models we currently produce.

13. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    @wade7575 What makes this a better fit for guided sharpeners than e.g. the Arctic Fox? I would be interested in either but I'm not sure I could afford the Black Magic.

14. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Mostly the fact that it basically doesn't shed grit so it's going to remain almost exactly the same thickness throughout its lifetime.

CasePeanut likes this.
  15. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    If you ever do make in edge pro format I'll be first in line,what's the grit of that stone about would you say,I also like the fact it seems like a fast cutter as well when compared to stones like it not just the fact it will stay flat for a long time.

16. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    Or cut the 2x4 into a 1x4 and it will fit on the KME!

17. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    I'll let other folks experiment with that. Even using a diamond blade on a tile saw you'd have a hard time cutting sintered silicon carbide. :D

CasePeanut likes this.
  18. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    Let me restate my comment. I hope you will consider manufacturing a 1x4 size as well!

19. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
  20. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004

FortyTwoBlades and Eli Chaps like this.