UPDATED: BladeForums Special Edition Skyline interest thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No disrespect intended...but I think what the price point folks are missing is the limited edition point of it all. I paid $100 for my Spyderco Military...I just paid $240 for the same knife (more or less) with M390 on it and peel ply carbon fiber. Maybe to me its all about perspective and to others its "just a knife".

Good point. Same thing with the Delica. Yes it is a standard edc knife, but with Damascus, Ti bolsters, and colored jig bone scales, it's 4x the price.

I'd be in for one, but not at $110 unless the steel was M390, or Vanax 75. S30V? Sorry, not for me.

What I'd like:
Stonewash finish
Bright blue G10
ZDP-189

Thanks for the opportunity to do this, Spark. And kudos to Thomas as well. :thumbup:

I'm in for 1, even at $110

Blue G10, any blade finish, S30v or better, full flat grind.
1760BFC, with 2012 date stamped on the flipper.
Deeper carry clip if possible.

I would be in for at least one, but not at $110.

Blue G10
Stonewashed S30v or similar
Tactful engraving

I'm glad this project is going forward.

My suggestion is a damascus blade (maybe Devin Thomas stainless damascus? Leftovers) and if possible to swing a single or double sided carbon fiber scale. Maybe one CF one blue digi camo G-10 or blue.

My other suggestion is to have BFC printing on the clip? Might show up better than on Damascus. Or maybe laser etched on the grip or drilled out?

Last edited:
XHP or M390
Silver or blue twill CF
Stonewashed blade
fancy blue or fancy silver BF lanyard
laser engraved BF nomenclature of some kind on the blade or maybe cnc/laser it into scales
Deep carry pocket clip (graft ZT 0560 clip on or scale 0560 clip to fit/something other than the ugly std clip)

And yeah...I'll throw down a deposit too to get mine secured...

I agree with everything except the XHP.
M390 or Damascus all the way!

I'd like S30V or better,
FFG
DLC
BLUE G10
Black hardware and liner
Clean and small BF LE label of some sort.

Would definitely leave a deposit

110.00 for a skyline kills it for me. I understand that you got to put up the money but still that's alot. When EDC Forum does a Manix 2 in Moonglow for 149.00 shipped its hard to buy into a skyline for 110.00. If I'm not mistaken the Manix 2 Moonglow was a sole limited run also.

Damascus with carbon fiber scales!

But yeah, I wouldn't be in for S30V/G10.

I'm easy on handle colour, but I would like to see the steel upgraded (if possible).

Elmax, M390 or even one of Carpenter's newer steels like 20CP or 204P.

If it was entirely my choice alone, I'd go for silver twill or digi cam G10, with a dlc or stonewashed CTS-20CP or M390 blade.

For $110, I'd be in depending on blade steel, Elmax or M390 or equivilant would be ideal with a flat grind. I'm in for a deposit as well. S30v would be ok.
I'm actually easy on handle and steel choices, as long as they are silver twill, or ghost jade G10 and M390 or Elmax :p that's my 2 cents, I'd be okay with blue G10 if it helped hold the price down to a reasonable level. Agree with needing this knife id'ed as a special edition for the forum, and would be willing to pay a bit more to help support the forum or extend paid memberships.

I am in. If we are going big... I say go big. Titanium and ZDP. At the very least carbon fiber and ZDP or elmax. If we go G10 route, I like the idea of blue g10, similar to the color of the forums. While I do like the collectors appeal to damascus, I am just not sure about it. Doesn't it have a tendency to rust if it's not taken care of? And I would definitely want a deep carry clip.

A knife with a Kershaw Mafia reference? The minimum number of knives is 600...not 12. 12 being the number of members of said group if there was such a thing. :p

I don't really care what the steel is. I'd like the scales to be a color not available anywhere else....no purple please. :D

I'd really like it to be Elmax or M390 & blue G10,but I'll be in for at least one of whatever the final product turns out to be.

Thanks for doing this Spark & Thomas.:thumbup:

Don't really care what the steel is either but I'd prefer S30V or better. I think silver twill G10 or carbon fiber handles would be sick and I'd be in at $110 all day. Of course, as soon as everyone saw a silver twill skyline Spark would sell out all 600 and...price break! ;)

Spark do you think we should get some actual polls going in terms of steel/handle preference? Seems like it's going to be difficult to sift it all from this thread.

If I could wave a magic wand, this knife would have blue G10 (ala Spyderco Para 2 and Manix 2), with FFG S30V. Very modest BF marking, if at all. And if it says "Kershaw Mafia" on it, I don't really want it.

I agree with the general sentiment that $110 is pushing it, considering that it starts out as a $37 (retail, shipped) knife. I also know that fancy steel drives the price up somewhat, Mr. T has some retooling for the FFG, and that Mr. Kevin would be putting some serious capital at risk. We can do the math at 600 units.

Depending on the final product, I would commit to maybe 3x at $85, or 1x at $110. But seriously, $110 is really pushing it for an entry level knife as small and simple as a Skyline.

Hey, maybe we could get Nutfancy to autograph these for us with his Dremel. Just kidding.

Thanks Kevin and Thomas for giving us some fun with this.

Would Kershaw consider trying out a low riding wire pocket clip on this venture?

I think a damascus or stonewashed CPM154 blade would be 'the bee's knees.' If G-10 is the only option for scales, maybe yellow? Otherwise, a linen or canvas micarta or even some kind of wood might be nice. Just a thought...

I'm in at $110 regardless of materials or design if for nothing else than to have a 1 of 600 knife (initial/first run maybe) and to support BladeForums.

I'm in for one for sure but would rather have anything but g10. Deep rider clip would be awesome too.

I wonder how many people complaining about the price point jumped on the carbon fiber blurs? :p

off topic ... but no one has asked it yet ...

could a limited edition BF run be done for the ZT-56x ?
maybe a ZT-562
carbon fiber scales, tiger stripe, tasteful BF markings.

it seems like the biggest hurdle here is the price.
one of the great appeals of the skyline is its low price and still made in america.
... maybe people would be quicker to pay premium $$ for a high end knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back