Urban Legends, The Red Man

Back when I was young and full of life and decompensating against an open desert sky, I knew a lot of addicts of one kind or another. The Speeders were their own Clan, of course, like all of them, though the Clans mixed and subgroups of people would cross over from one vice to another. Just as I was leaving that world, all of them, I heard something worth remembering. AT least, I thought it was. The Red Man.

I think this is mostly meth, dont think the coke crowd gets to know the Red Man. A few people I knew and trusted to be frequently coherent told me if you did the drug long enough, you became aware of a Presence, the Red Man. They called him that because he was red. AFter enough days and weeks without sleep, in periods lasting into years, you saw the Red Man. And once that happened, He Saw You. Once he saw you, he wouldn't let you go. He was in your thoughts, your mind.

I'd been through the DT's many times, and had my own rough stories. But something in this hit a nerve. It wasn't that I'd seen the Red Man, it was so many of these users had and the experience was similar. It scared me. There were things, Horatio, undreamt of in your philosophy.

There was the obvious, of course, that old devil come to call. But what was frightening was the subtle; how once you were touched, you were always touched. How He became aware of you. The Christians would have a hey day with this one, I knew.

There are certain pains and fears, some unvoiced, some unconsciously understood, that people share. There was something about this story that rang true.

I've met enough of my own demons not to want to meet the Red Man. I felt sorry for those that had, that believed they could not get out, could not cut off contact.

munk

You know it's funny. I've never heard of this, never seen anything like it. But something about it scares me and seems familiar. I don't know if it's just the creeps from how you wrote about it, or maybe it's more Jungian? Or evolutionary, like fear of snakes (some people think it's a fear that we inherit in our genes).

Never heard of the Red Man. Spooky. Munk you should embelish this and add plot. Maybe a good story. I never was too big on the speedy things. I did know lots of the methy folks, but still never herd of the Red Man. I'll have to call some of the old survivors and ask. If I can still find any. For some reason we don't keep in touch too well.

Andy

The occult world is just like the natural world. There's all sort of elementals that are attracted to the energy being given off by people who are unaware angry or giving off some sort of strong emotion. Some impersonate the dead at seances or even angels since they are formless and basically inert without the energy they get from material beings.:eek:

That almost sounds Lovecraftian. A thing that slips in and out of our reality and we in and out of its, totally unaware of each other...until in a certain wavelength we cross pathes. We can see the horror and the horror can see us.

I think I remember something about a "Red Man" from my Irish Mythology studies. Yep, found something at bellaonline.com

"Far Darrig, the Red Man

The far darrig, a cousin of the leprechaun, is dressed in red - red from his hat to his tail-trailing cape to the woolen stockings which cling to his calves. That's why he's called Far Darrig, (fear dearg) the Red Man. He looks like a leprechaun, with a small wizened face and a short stocky body but he's no friendly fellow for he delights in macabre practical jokes at our expense

He tricks you with his clever voice, pretending to be any manner of creatures and things and will make your heart thud with fear as his voice resounds behind your shoulder. He can sound like an eagle screeching in your ear, the sweet cooing of a pigeon or the great thunder of waves on rocks. His favourite is the dull, hollow laugh of a dead man.

If you meet the far darrig, say quickly 'Na dean maggadh fum -- do not mock me', and never accept an invitation into his lonely bog hut. He will order you to cook the dinner, and show you a hag skewered on a spit. Naturally you will faint away with horror. When you wake you find yourself on the open hillside with the wind in your face and mocking laughter in your ears. Then the far darrig will haunt your dreams with night sweats and make you wake in fright.

The far darrig would like to be friendly, but his grotesque sense of humour fails to please and the Irish keep their distance from this little man. Make sure you do too"

Who knows. Maybe it's this guy.

Jake

I have long known of the Red Man. There are forces you don't want to mess with...

When I lived in San Bernardino the meth capital of the nation was Highland Ca. Come to think of it, SB came in first for murder one year. We were full of stars in the Inland Empire, just not the kind on TV.

munk

Actually the Irish "Red Man" described above is actually properly termed "Red Cap".

They wear hats soaked in blood, hence their name.

This one is new to me. I've read of encounters with spirits/entities involving many entheogenic substances, like Ayahuasca, Iboga, DMT, DPT, Amanita Muscaria. Never heard of any involving methamphetamines. Though I haven't had any firsthand experience, I have no doubts that there exist realms beyond our everyday modes of perception. Time for research, methinks.

-Tycho-

I trust you don't mean personal research...

The meth heads in So Calif had time, climate and means. They were special.

Only place I ever heard of the Red Man.

>>>>>>>

One day I went to Turners Outdoors and brought home a SKS carbine with the bayonet. I sat there in my apartment in San Bernardino while a little still voice said, "why?"

I felt guilty. Why not? I answered. I'll be OK. I stopped drinking one or two years before and was still pretty jumpy.
I had at the time a horrible feeling, as if I'd entered a different world. A world of guns and violence. A world where they would find me because I had the Carbine as an entrance price.

Well. Just the opposite happened. I learned responsibility, and the shooting sports helped immensely.

>>>>>

I used to have dreams, dreams that predicted the future, or dreams that were strange and wild. Sometimes the reality in the dreams was stronger, or as strong as the 'living world' around me. When I was 20 or so I was frightened by the dreams, and one of my fears was that something would find me because I had the dreams.

So years later the story of the Red Man was scary. Ill at ease for sure.
The DT's taught me there are things you do not wish to unleash, nor see nor hear again.

Anyone remember the ghost story threads here and in BF? Pretty amazing stuff.

munk

Oh, not personal research. Just reading. Meth is something I'm not going to get involved with.

-Tycho-

What's interesting about Meth, and different from other 'speeds' is there is a organic psychosis associated with long term use. The researchers are still trying to determine if the psychosis is permanent or not. Pro Drug advocates claim nearly everything is either harmless or even beneficial. You'll see this division clearly when you research drugs.

I am for the legalization of drugs. I am not so foolish as to believe this is altogether a good thing, or even a good thing at all. It is just a better thing than prison space for offenders and a compromised law enforcement and judiciary.

munk

Who comes to us depends on who we are I think . I have heard of truckers suffering from sleep deprivation and yes perhaps other depravations refer to their demon as the black dog . I think the key common element here is being out of balance with nature . It is rare that even those who see where they should be have the wisdom to attain that level of self fulfillment . .

munk said:
I thought black dog was a scab truck?

munk

That may be a second definition . It is interesting as it would be truckers who coined the second definition as well . Perhaps as an extension referal to such a driver as a Black dog or something to be feared .

munk said:
What's interesting about Meth, and different from other 'speeds' is there is a organic psychosis associated with long term use. The researchers are still trying to determine if the psychosis is permanent or not. Pro Drug advocates claim nearly everything is either harmless or even beneficial. You'll see this division clearly when you research drugs.

munk

I agree with you ! No I don,t, well, maybe ? Maybe not .
Its hard to tell without saying something .
What ? Who said that ? Is there somebody in here with me ?
Oh its just me . Who am I ?

Life is like a box of chocolates ...... Whats a box of chocolates ?

L:M:A:O:

I am 100% for drug legalization, or at least decriminalization (with some regulation; no sales to minors, etc).

At the same time, there are undoubtedly substances that will almost invariably mess you up, if you're foolish enough to take them.

Yeah, I might volunteer to be tasered/pepper sprayed/used to demonstrate an extremely painful compliance manuever, but there's no way in hell I'd take some drugs (heroin, cocaine, meth, for instance) that are out there, whether legal or not.

You can never control people by legislating things.

John

Back