Urban Legends, The Red Man

Marijuana is the only illegal drug that even has the slightest change of decriminalization. It is the only one that is not connected to major health problems. All the others (that I can remember) have dangerous affects and OD potential, essentiall, poisoning youself to get the high. Good luck getting the FDA to approve that. They get in enough crap for approving prescription drugs that have side-effects, let alone liver/kindey failure, brain damage, and slight chance of death.

I'm not really for legalizing any drug, but marijuana is hard to find effects for. Everything else, I think would too hazardous to allow people to openly use. I have seen enough towns destroyed by the introduction of cheap illegal drugs like crack and meth to ever be for making them legal. Anyone ever been to a crack house? Visit one sometime.

hollowdweller said:
The occult world is just like the natural world. There's all sort of elementals that are attracted to the energy being given off by people who are unaware angry or giving off some sort of strong emotion. Some impersonate the dead at seances or even angels since they are formless and basically inert without the energy they get from material beings.:eek:

I have had some experience with this when I was actively studying the occult.

Never got into speed, the various forms of LSD were my drugs of choice in the 1960s and 1970s.

There is some thought that the "DTs" are a glimpse into the astral plane. That the person has weakened their aura to the point where astral attack is easier for disembodied critters.

Not to get into another Zombie thread, but the Voudoun of Haiti belive that zombies are dead people who have not had the proper rituals to release the other indwelling spirits once the personality has moved on.

Yup...drug zombies. Generally non-violent, not driven to consume brains. The least offensive and easy to dispatch form of zombiism.

Marijuana is the only illegal drug that even has the slightest change of decriminalization. It is the only one that is not connected to major health problems. All the others (that I can remember)

Um...Short term memory loss isn't a major health concern? Let's see...it permanently effects the basic way your brain works...and makes you less desireable as a zombie snack. I'd reconsider that MJ is harmless.

Health isn't a valid criteria anyway if tobacco and booze are legal. Riding motorcycles is dangerous. Skiing isn't safe.
Living in Washington DC isn't safe.

munk

Freak out baby! It's the healing of the nation:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051014073523.htm

The memory loss is just temporary. It's not due to any organic problems.

Pot and psychedelics are dangerous if misused but considering the number of people using or having used them there has been no widespread public health crisis apparent compared to cigarette smoking. In fact if you consider the number of people killed accidentally by firearms versus pot in a year, it would be far more in the interest of the public to ban guns. I don't favor that but just running the health thing out to the end.

THere is also clinical evidence that pot used to treat anxiety, while effective, can make things worse than before when you stop using it.

Mainly I hate the fact that it makes people stupid, yet they think they are being profound...ok, I guess I can't name a drug or drink that doesn't do the same thing....:eek:

Everything else, I think would too hazardous to allow people to openly use.

Allow? ALLOW? Who the bloody blue blazes gives anyone the right to choose what people are "allowed" to do?!

I have seen enough towns destroyed by the introduction of cheap illegal drugs like crack and meth to ever be for making them legal. Anyone ever been to a crack house? Visit one sometime

Uh...and how many lives are ruined by alcohol? How about tobacco? Let's be more correct: how many lives are ruined by the misuse of any drug?

How about sugar? How about saturated fat? Should we "allow" people to use them? You DO know obesity is now the leading cause of death in America? Wait, let me get it: "I use x ("x" being whatever your favorite consumable), so it's not a drug." Oh, okay. :rolleyes:

Yeah, let's compare numbers, why don't we?

America is filled with hypocrites, most of them willing to legislate what other people use. Less than 100 years ago, all manner of drugs, weapons, and poisons were legal.

Why is there supposedly a "crisis" now, when we have the lowest violent crime rates America has probably ever had? I call BS.

Further, I claim and declare that those who are willing to limit our freedoms "for the children" (or "society", or whatever) are full of that same bovine secretion. Baloney. Our world is full of power-mad meddlers, who love nothing so much as themselves, and that badly.

John- oh, to be dangerously free!

see you Sunday

You want to know what really ruins lives? If you really want to know I'll tell you:

escapism. Period.

The inability to accept the present moment for what it is: everything. Past is gone, future doesn't exist. There is only now.

Take away our obsession with the next thing, the next purchase, the coming of the weekend, or upcoming vacation. The idea that "in the future everything will better" "as soon as I graduate" as soon as I get a better job....and on, and on, and on, and on. until we die. Take away that and you will not have substance abuse, and any other ills that we face today. Associating your ego with who you are, separates you from others, gives you a false sense of identity--an identity with ideas, a past that doesn't exist (and doesn't define you). and allows us to be cruel, to murder, etc..

SOrry I have to summarize because I'm at work...but hopefully you get the idea

I'd like to see some drugs become legal, although they would have to be regulated like they do in Europe. I would look at pot as the next logical thing to become decriminalized. It's a mellow drug that has a fairly controlled burn. Alcohol can't even claim that. Hand me a few beers and i'll slowly get drunk, get silly, and fall asleep. Hand me a bottle of cheap Candian whiskey (when I was a frosh in college) and i'll slam 11 or 12 shots in 30 mins, be crazy for about 45 mins, feel very sick, and fall asleep with my face in the refridgerator. Most of the "potheads" I know are not going to be dangerous. I remember one time when some frinends of mine got toked up, then decided they needed a snackie-poo to stave off the munchies. Extremely high people are as dangerous as extremely drunk people behind the wheel. However, the goofballs couldn't find their keys, then laughed and laughed and giggled about their keys walking off. Then they just kind of fell asleep. These were the same guys that throw furniture when they get drunk.

Meth on the other hand, wow what a big problem we have with methheads in this part of the country. On quiet nights when the sky is clear and you tilt you head just right you can hear a van/trailer/hotel room explode while manufacturing meth.
As much as I hate to say it, meth abusers are good summer help. Usually, they are hard up enough for cash that they get to work on time (usually), they don't complain about long hours, and they just go like a machine. Then as the season winds down, so do they. They drop off and move back in with their mom/girlfriend/some guy they met playing pool at a bar to bum off them and steal their stuff to sell for meth. It's really sad. Meth causes the human body to burn like a quick candle wick. They don't really get "old" like crack heads do. They just rapidly fall apart and waste.
When i worked at Target my junior and senior years of college we had a bad problem with people stealing decongestants to make meth with.
Meth addicts are the Olympic sprinters of the drug world. If you have ever been to a Target you will usually be greeted by a cute young girl weighing about 105lbs with a blue or khaki shirt that says "Asset Protection". These are the security officers of the store (well the dressed ones. They have "plain clothes" big guys cruising around as well). Anyway, when the big guys aren't there these smaller girls would pull some of the more fit sales guys off the floor when they stopped a shoplifter. As it so happened, i got this job about once every 2 weeks. One of the girls stopped a guy that the cameras had caught stuffing 6 boxes of decongestants down his jeans. When she pulled him aside by the front door myself and another guy were there to assist her. Suddenly, the guy reaches for his pocket and flings the boxes of meds and bolts out the door. Now I was a regional sprinter in high school as well as a member of the rowing team my first two years of college and i still worked out. I was in shape. The other co-worker was 4 years younger than me and at 18 was still athletic and very fast...we couldn't catch this guy. he was so hocked up on crystal meth that he was uncatchable. Two trained athletes could not come within 2 carlengths of this guy. He even kicked off both his shoes and a sock as he bolted around the backside. I'd never seen anything like it.

Jake

Back