USA vs CHINA Shrade 70t Cutting Test to Destruction

The Results are in for the: USA Stainless steel 70T Old Timer verses the China Stainless 70T Old Timer
At first I had trouble but getting either one blunt but as expected evetually the China Schrade was shown to be an inferior product.

The real difference came when I used the hemp rope (although it was really hurting my arm before hurting the knives). After I had made 89 cuts of the hemp rope on each knife (178 total) both knives were still cutting but it was taking 80 strokes of the China 70t to cut through the rope and 50 strokes for the USA 70t
Although I was very satisfied that the USA blade was much superior I still wanted a more conclusive result (I wanted one to stop cutting)

To speed things up I used a peice of pine wood and made 60 slices of the pine wood using the same technique on each knife. (it must be noted that the USA Schrade easily removed more than twice the amount of timber while doing this)

This had the desired effect after this the China Schrade was then only able to make a few more cuts of hemp rope before it would not cut it without extreme force. The USA Schrade was able to continue cutting and I was able to make another 62 cuts of the hemp until it was just as difficult as the China Schrade to use. I swapped back and forth between the knives a few times with the final cuts to make sure the comparison was valid.

Prior to using the Hemp rope I also tried red Nylon rope, cardboard and Bailing twine but both knives continued to cut quite well. It was not until I used the Hemp rope that a real difference became evident. (thanks Michael)

In summary: The hemp cutting test showed the USA Schrade to be approximatley 50 to 60% percent superior in edge cutting retention and durability over the China model.
Up until point of the China 70t becoming unusable I had to do a up to 50 percent more work with it (80 strokes to Schrades 50) to make it cut. This must also be factored into the the final result.

Conclusion, re: cutting test.
My results are approximates based on the best info I was able to gather from test. I cannot factor in all the variables to give a more precise result but this is in part made unessesary because for me the test showed that the USA Schrade led by a considerable margin and was vastly superior in cutting performance. Any slight variable in the results would not swing the result in favour of the China Schrade.

Some extra Important notes re: cutting. The USA was in new but battered condition with a chipped point which accounts for 4% percent less cutting surface and although both blades were very sharp the USA Schrade was slightly less sharp than the China Schrade at the commencement of the test. Schrade USA uses 400+ HC steel which also includes the use of 420 C steel. The China Schrade uses 440 stainless normally considered superior to the other types mentioned. Superior manufacturing technique and critical final heat treatment of the steel may account for the difference in the findings here.

Blade Side Break test.
Both were loaded up with weights supported off handles until the blades broke. The China Schrade suffered worse for this and lost its centre brass sheild. The Photos show the delrin forward part of the hande seperating on the China knife and also the brass moving away from supporting the blade. This occured while under strain just prior to shearing the blade from its housing. On examination (as in photo) the sheared part of the blade shows that the USA knife is wider in this critical area.

Lockback Failure Break test
Michael Ive taken the challenge and done another additional test re: your email:
One test that was not done, but comes to mind because it is a comparison test Schrade used, is lock failure mode. Progressively heavier weight is added to the handle with the blade and tang held in a vise. Weight is increased incrementally until the lock bar fails

OK the second last photo added below shows the Lockback break failure test. Again the USA Schrade 70T showed itself to be superior with a 10 percent lead in strength over the China model. The weights were added gradually at small increments over the test. More significantly the way the two knives failed was impressive the USA Schrade broke progressively almost lowering the weight to the ground so that most of the weights were still sitting in a stack when they reached the ground. The China Schrade when subjected to the same test suffered catastrophic failure before reaching the target weight and the backing peice broke away and flung upward as the weights fell.

In summary.
They were both badly damaged but the way in which the China Schrade broke meant that is was unusable. The USA Schrade on the other hand amazed me by still being able to perform a wood cutting function even after subjecting it to this severe the test to failure. An outstanding example of quality and build. It was my intention to destroy all four knives during the test, one of the 4 survived.

test1-1.jpg

test2-2.jpg

test3-1.jpg

SHEARED OFF AREAS MARKED IN BETWEEN RED ARROWS
Impactzone.jpg

LOCKBACK FAILURE BREAK TEST
Copyoftest5.jpg

THE WINNER
Copyofstillusable6.jpg

Thanks for some very interesting and informative testing! Sounds like you pretty much covered things. But I hope you took cover during the break test!:eek: I hate to think of the parts that might have been flying!

Dave

Great test Tim! :thumbup:
Good use of pictures to document the results.

Dale

Quick question regarding one of the photo labels. Is the Chinese knife really 440c? I thought they were a lower stainless grade, like 420-something or 440a?

And can you confirm/clarify that the USA Schrade was an older carbon steel model? The later USA Schrades were stainless. Personally, I think comparing a stainless USA model to a stainless Chinese model would be more relevent.

Thanks for posting the test and recording the results.

Best Wishes,
-Bob

Bob the 7-OT is one of those Old Timer patterns which was always stainless, from it's intro in 1979 to 1981, and resumption of production in 1991. From the pictures of the pin placement, his U.S.A. test knife was from the later production.

Michael

Thanks Codger. So even the 7-OT knives without the "+" are stainless?

-Bob

To the best of my knowledge, yes, they are stainless. Never have I seen one with rust or patina on the blade. Schrade's own ads from the introductory year, 1979 state:

Did they mean 1095HC when they said High Carbon tool steel? And as you can see, there is no "+" on the tang stamp. Likewise I have a LB-7 with no "+" on the tang stamp, but it is definately stainless.

Michael

Thanks for the info. In that case, I think the comparison review was entirely 'fair'.

Best Wishes,
-Bob

One test that was not done, but comes to mind because it is a comparison test Schrade used, is lock failure mode. Progressively heavier weight is added to the handle with the blade and tang held in a vise. Weight is increased incrementally until the lock bar fails. Either it bends, breaks or the assembly comes apart disengaging the lock. They did this comparison test with Buck, LB-7, and another I forget. Another test is angle of deflection to failure. I think this is a bladesmith test.

Michael

Quick question regarding one of the photo labels. Is the Chinese knife really 440c? I thought they were a lower stainless grade, like 420-something or 440a?

Ive added a little info to the photo label. Perhaps I should have mentioned the USA blade was stamped with the traditional SHRADE+ tang stamp signifying it is a stainless blade knife.

It is also High Carbon steel. I did not know this myself untill recently when an older collector friend informed me that the type of stainless used is correctly designated 400+ HC stainless.

Normal non 400 stainless appears to be non hardenable through heat treatment which would have caused a serious problem for Schrade. Re: link below AK steel pg 3, 3rd paragraph.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache...+stainless+steel+400&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=au

With my friends name ommited for privacy. re, Emails:

I AM ALWAYS INTERESTED IN THESE TYPE THINGS .
I ALREADY KNOW WHAT YOUR RESULTWS WILL BE.
THE 440C CHINA WON'T COME CLOSE TO THE USA 400+ HC STAINLESS.

My Reply
I didnt know that the USA 70t was made from 400+HC stainless I thought they used the 420C, is that why they mark it with a plus + ?? Thanks for the info.

HI TIM, THE REASON THAT IT IS + , IS FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON.

IT IS ATLEAST 400 GRADE AND CAN RANGE ANYWHERE UP TO 420 AND IT IS A HIGH CARBON STAINLESS.
SCHRADE ALLOWED A GAP IN TOLERANCES BUT ASSURED THE THE METAL WAS 400+ AND THEY CALLED IT SCHRADE+.

EXAMPLE: JUST LIKE ROCKWELL TESTING NORMALLY ALLOWS A 56 TO 59 TOLERANCE ON HARDNESS.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

I was wondering what the MSRP was on each knife? Only because if the Chinese knife was considerably less than the USA made...It might have actually been the better deal.

Yes the China knife is much cheaper but I guess it depends what is called a better deal. If I was going on a long trip I may have to take two China Schrade 70Ts instead of just the one USA Schrade.

The purpose of the test is to stop repeated attempts of people to put them in the same category. As far as value is concerned the purchaser can decide.

At least now we wont have to put up with people telling us the knives are just a good as each other. There not !

RegardsTim

Tim,
Good test. Supports my feelings. I bought a chinese 7OTW cheap just to use. I also have an old battered 7OT. The old 7OT has better steel and less blade play than the new 7OTW. IMHO the chinese knife is a picnic knife. Just good enough for cutting bread and ham for a picnic. People keep saying that the chinese product will improve. Maybe it will and maybe it won't. The japanese product only improved after they imported quality control systems into their manufacturers. China has been making cheap knockoffs for so long they will have problems turning their industry around.

Yes, collectors do not want cheaper imports rivaling the quality of there own product and fortunately there doesnt seem to be any danger of that occurring here yet with Schrades.
I do think it has alot to it with the steel choice with Schrade USA using High Carbon stainless. Hi Carbon steel naturally lends itself to the skill of the heat treatment process critical in producing a resilient edge. Im curious to see how it compairs with closer rivals who also use 440c.
Regards Tim

Thanks for putting out this effort, Tim!! It is nice to see proof in the putting, even though most of us had an idea of what your results would be!!

I was wondering what the MSRP was on each knife? Only because if the Chinese knife was considerably less than the USA made...It might have actually been the better deal.

It is a sad fact that in today's world pocket knives, man's most basic tool, have been vilified and largely fallen out of favor in daily carry and use. Airlines say they are dangerous. Employers say they are dangerous. So we are restricted from carrying even tiny folding knives in many public places.

So if all you require of a knife is that it give the "appearance of a knife-like-object" as it sits at home on your desk or in your sock drawer, the cheaper priced and lower quality Chinese knife might be just the ticket. Or you can print a photo of one and keep that instead for even less.

I constantly combat the same thinking in my own business, contracting inground residential swimming pools. All of my competetors can beat me on price. They do it by using cheaper and less materials and equipment, unskilled labor, no regard for hydrodynamics and sanitation, and don't concern themselves with warranting their workmanship because once they have the customer's money, they don't plan to return when there are problems. The customers often find that the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. But then, cheap or not, a swimming pool is expected to function and be used. And last. Cheap knives are not. Or shouldn't be. By reasoning, knowledgable adults anyway.

Thanks Tim. You went to a lot of trouble and expense to prove your point. Perhaps you should put this pair of knives on eBay as historical items. I am reminded of the old commercials for Timex watches where they strapped them to the props on outboard motors.

Timex. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Schrade. Built to last a lifetime.

Michael

True Schrade knives have not been manufactured since 2004. In October of that year the company was dissolved in bankruptcy auction and the NAME was bought by Taylor Cutlery. Taylor Cutlery contracted with unnamed Chinese mainland factories to produce cheap copies of genuine Schrade knives and stamp the name SCHRADE on them. Taylor owns the name and can do as he pleases with it, so in that sense, it is lawful commerce. Taylor imports and sells these Chinese copies. Taylor is not a manufacturer, but a seller of cheap imported knives. The company owner is, I have read, one of the wealthiest men in the modern knife industry and did not get that way by selling expensive knives. Or manufacturing them.

Michael

me too, thanks Tim for all that work and a very good post. to me, the Taylor knife still performed pretty well and based on your results would stand up to average use. i have found a good use for a Taylor Schrade. i have just return from a trip to Calgary and brought along an 8OTY (Taylor i had bought to personally examine). reason: if i lose it on a trip, it's gone forever; lose it around home, at least i can hope it might turn up (altho i am 0 for 3 so far). i passed through security and check with handheld metal detector without problem in Calgary airport on my way home. upon boarding the plane and searching my pockets for my boarding pass, i felt my 8OTY in my right hand pocket. wow !, that's a pretty good sized knife to take on a plane ! so, for those of us who do not feel right without a knife in pocket or on belt, perhaps these knives are the answer for travel ! however, i am not about to knowingly repeat this test any time soon. roland

Back