Use of a traditional slipjoint in the forest, in three parts, as a survival knife, by vinniesdayoff

Some have seen the videos, some haven't , but hey, they are worth a watch if you have about an hour or so.
Have fun, and enjoy the nice use of a long handled peanut friend this guy has, with a shorter blade and no bolsters.
If posted before, although I checked, you can remove my post, no problem.

I've encountered his videos before. I like his approach of using traditional slipjoints for his tasks, I like seeing that instead of all the modern super fancy overbuilt bush and survival knives and what not. It's nice to see that old timey slippies can do the job just as well. Of course, our fathers and their fathers did everything with only such knives and never complained. This is mostly forgotten nowadays, a lot of folks think they need something that can pierce a tank just to cut a twig or a piece of rope. But to each his own, tastes differ. To me, old fahsioned slipjoints please! ;)

It has been posted before, in Carl's Lounge I think :thumbsup: I like Vinnie's down to earth style :) :thumbsup:

Knife is by Carl Kammerling ( r8shell r8shell has one) :thumbsup:
I do have one because you graciously sent it to me. :)
mKoQNYL.jpg

I've seen Vinnie before and love the guy. It's like a breath of fresh air to see someone get something done in the outdoors without a short sword or lumberjack sword. Great videos.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

He'd have fit right in with the Maryland Eastern shore marsh people.

Nice one, looks beautiful, and with delrin or what are those scales, it proved to be pretty tough, as actually we use it for what it is fit, so it shows knowledge beats pure strength, every time.
Well put. I admit I haven't used it in the woods yet, but it's good to know it's capable of more than just opening the mail. :):thumbsup:

As my Great Grandfather used to say: "Knowledge and Finesse trumps brute force; finesse is easier on your tools, and a lot less tiring on you."

Vinnie sure shows this to be a fact.

Vinnie also did a video making a shelter using only an Opinel Number 9, I think it was.

Thank you. Yeah, haven't used mine in the forest too much, maybe for some food preparing, bacon slicing before frying it, and sticks whittling, you know, this and that, but that guy Vinnie shows us what can be done, no questions asked.
Gotta love traditional knives, so small, so not there, and yet, life changing capable.

The only caveat is, Vinnie seems to liven an area with nice soft woods like willow. Even back east, I oculdcut poplar and maple with not too much effort with a pocket knife.

But...in the three years now of living in Texas, I've found that my eastern knife skills on wood are not making it. These woods down here with the cedar and stub oaks are some REALLY tough stuff. We went on a little hie and Karen forgot her hiking staff at home, so I figured I'd just do a quick notching with my pocket knife and break off a nice length of cedar.

NOT!

I ended up taking the sliding blade Fiskars saw out of my day pack and even then it was a job. Texas has some hard wood. The species of scrub oak they have here ain't much better. I think if Vinnie got beamed over here he'd be hard put to duplicate that skill. I don't know if it's the semi arid climate or what, but there's no eastern hardwoods here that is easy to cut. If I'm gonna make a shelter here in Texas, I want a chain saw or a real sharp machete. :eek:

Now I know why the Mexican peasants all have machetes. ;)

It's a tricky one to sharpen, I still don't have the edge I want on it.

Is there a story about BRL I don't know? :p

Yeah, it's seen some hard use that one - and seen too much of a grinder probably! :eek:

Just don't say "H£%f Congress"! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's seen some hard use that one - and seen too much of a grinder probably! :eek:

Just don't say "H£%f Congress"! :eek: :D :thumbsup:
Oh, yeah. I wasn't sure to what you were referring, as I no longer even think the words "half" and "congress" in the same sentence. :p

The only caveat is, Vinnie seems to liven an area with nice soft woods like willow. Even back east, I oculdcut poplar and maple with not too much effort with a pocket knife.

But...in the three years now of living in Texas, I've found that my eastern knife skills on wood are not making it. These woods down here with the cedar and stub oaks are some REALLY tough stuff. We went on a little hie and Karen forgot her hiking staff at home, so I figured I'd just do a quick notching with my pocket knife and break off a nice length of cedar.

NOT!

I ended up taking the sliding blade Fiskars saw out of my day pack and even then it was a job. Texas has some hard wood. The species of scrub oak they have here ain't much better. I think if Vinnie got beamed over here he'd be hard put to duplicate that skill. I don't know if it's the semi arid climate or what, but there's no eastern hardwoods here that is easy to cut. If I'm gonna make a shelter here in Texas, I want a chain saw or a real sharp machete. :eek:

Now I know why the Mexican peasants all have machetes. ;)
You've also got Osage orange or bois'darc. Bodark to to Texans. I've seen that stuff completely ruin a new chain saw blade. Particularly after it dries it will throw sparks off a sharp saw blade. They used it for fence corners and some of that stuff must be a hundred years old and still standing. All the cedar posts rotted but not the bodark.--KV

Back