Used my HEST to pry open the car door after an accident

a 87 year old WW2 vet was in a serious accident that I witnessed. He was trapped in this car and couldn't get out. I used my HEST to pry the drivers side door open far enough to get it open then got the fellow out of the car. I learned the HEST is a great tool and CARRY an aid kit in your vehicle.
wreckIassistedpeople.jpg

Perfect story to tell when people question why you carry a knife. I saved someone's life

This pic shows the cuts he suffered, He was in shock and kept hugging and thanking me, but we got him to the Hospital asap.
wreck2-1.jpg

pic of the HEST, it IS strong enough to pry open a car door that is stuck. It has one heck of a thick blade.

011-1.jpg

Excellent! Thanks for the pics! How far down the blade were you able to insert into the gap between the door and the frame? I can't see any scratches on the finish- the only possible scuffs I see are near the thumbstud and the indent on the blade.

And great job! Did anyone on scene comment on the coolness of you wrenching open a car door with a folding knife?

Zero

there is a small scratch on the right side of the blade. But I got the blade in about half way and gave a hard snap of the wrist and the car door poped open. I showed one of the policemen when things calmed down the knife I used, he liked it and really liked the window glass breaker on the handle end. I'm the former Head Wrestling Coach at the largest local high School so several cops and firefolks were answering "yes coach." ;)

Oh, I also carry a small first aid kit in my Tahoe, you don't know when you will need it.

I'm sure the boys down at knife rights would love to hear about this, and good on you for acting in a time of need.

Wonderful story. Good on you.
Now I need a HEST. You just cost me more money lol.
In all seriousness, I would trust my ZT 0560 to do the same.
I literally smiled when I read this. I love hearing of good people doing good things. Especially with a folding knife. :D
Next time I hear someone tell me that I should just get a fixed blade because it's 100x stronger than my folders, I'm sending them this link.

there is a small scratch on the right side of the blade. But I got the blade in about half way and gave a hard snap of the wrist and the car door poped open. I showed one of the policemen when things calmed down the knife I used, he liked it and really liked the window glass breaker on the handle end. I'm the former Head Wrestling Coach at the largest local high School so several cops and firefolks were answering "yes coach." ;)

Oh, I also carry a small first aid kit in my Tahoe, you don't know when you will need it.

Great story!! Funny about the former wrestling team members in their current professions. You sure you actually needed the knife, of could you have just used an arm-bar or half-nelson leverage technique to to pop it open!

And I have a 1.0/first-version H.E.S.T., and despite some issues the earlier models had, mine thus far seems good to go. It's a stout little bugger to be sure which is the primarly reason I hang onto it. It's definitely the grappler equivalent of the folding world.

BOSS

I love this story. I always imagine having to use my tough knives on something like this.

if anybody else is ever in this situation and you have a glass breaker,
1. tell the driver what you are going to do
2. pop out a back door window.
3. unlock the back door
4. climb in and un lock his door

there is no need to break a knife over such a minor accident. that is what we do at the fire department.

BTW. great job! very few people could handle such a minor accident and its good to know citizens can take care of eachother. it often takes emergency services 5-8 min's and if a car is on fire or leaking fuel or oil it is very important to get the patient out of the vhiceal asap

Back