Using expensive knives

I'm often guilty of the same thing. Most of the time I buy a nice knife with the intensions of using the heck out of it ....only to end up babying it because it's just too nice. :eek:

But I've found that one way to cure this habbit, for myself, is to buy an even nicer blade of similar style, then for some reason I don't feel bad about using my old "good" knife hard.

...Yes I know that is weird, but I can't seem to help it.

I will say that not all knives are the same, and by that I mean that some are ruggedly built and just beg to be used hard, while others that are none the less great and sturdy knives, are also more beautiful and well crafted to the point of being art. And for those knives I don't mind so much keeping them as safe queens. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

To many of us KNIVES ARE MORE THAN JUST TOOLS. If they were not, why would we all spend so much time on this forum talking about them? ...Do you spend as much time at screwdriver or scissor forums?

I suffer from a similar affliction and my income level is not such that a $200 knife is common in my collection. It is humorous to me that I still will pick up a cheapie if I know I'm going to be dishing out the hard abuse because I don't want to rag on my "good stuff". The ironics of that is I SHOULD be WANTING the better knife in that case as it will invariably work better/faster/safer for the job at hand.

I'm sick, I admit it.

Bob

Bob I know what you are saying, I do the same thing.
When I purchase a nice knife, I just can't bring myself to using it.
When the wife buys me new socks, they'll stay in the drawer untill I've got holes in all the old ones. I'm a sick puppy for sure. :p

Back