• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

USPS or Canada Post stopped my package

Hey all. I shipped a G10 no metal knife to a customer in Canada. I used the customs description "camping tool" as I have done 4-5 times before for overseas mailings with no problem. Well this time the sent it back and had a sticker on INSUFFICIENT CONTENT DESCRIPTION.

So I guess the "camping tool" may not be working any longer. Just an FYI

I would try it again with an actual knife before coming to that conclusion.

A purely G10 knife (one that can slip through metal detectors) being labelled as a "camping tool" would likely get a sideways look from anyone that has gone camping. I would give that description of that item a sideways look and I've never been camping. I can't really fault them on that one.

We lost a $4000 folder to Customs returning to Canada. It was seized after 2 mos of negotiations.

Reason: Incorrect/false description. I declared it as a 'Camping Tool' on the request of my client.

Beware. Customs is smarter and more cautious in Canada then elsewhere.

I would try it again with an actual knife before coming to that conclusion.

A purely G10 knife (one that can slip through metal detectors) being labelled as a "camping tool" would likely get a sideways look from anyone that has gone camping. I would give that description of that item a sideways look and I've never been camping. I can't really fault them on that one.
camping tool has been the term to use as I know of it I have used plastic knife next

Here’s the deal.

I receive a lot of knives in Canada from cross border. Whether it be USA or other country.
Lying or “generalizing,” what is in the package with Canada Customs will eventually get you bit. 100%
I always get my knives shipped with proper description...whether its “folding knife”, “small traditional knife”, or “fixed blade.”
I dont even want to type this, but so far, I’ve never had a blade seized. However, I also do not import illegal knives.
If Customs catches you lying or “generalizing with intent to deceive”...that knife is gone.
If you do that in person at the border, its a criminal charge (IIRC).
Honesty is the best policy folks. :)

Edited for spelling (drives me nuts. Haha)

Last edited:
Here’s the deal.

I receive a lot of knives in Canada from cross border. Whether it be USA or other country.
Lying or “generalizing,” what is in the package with Canada Customs will eventually get you bit. 100%
I always get my knives shipped with proper description...whether its “folding knife”, “small traditional knife”, or “fixed blade.”
I dont even want to type this, but so far, I’ve never had a blade seized. However, I also do not import illegal knives.
It Customs catches you lying or “generalizing with intent to deceive”...that knife is gone.
If you do that in person at the border, its a criminal charge (IIRC).
Honesty is the best policy folks. :)

I am asking is a G10 knife illegal to own in Canada? I do not know so I am asking....

There are many places in the states where it would be an illegal item.

As it is not dectable by metal detectors.

Well...that is tricky.

A G10 knife is confiscatable and not illegal. Haha. Kinda weird right.
So if it was labeled as “G10 lightweight camping cutlery,” that would be legal and most likely pass without inspection.
However, if it is inspected and looks like a self defence knife...those are not legal in Canada, and the description is incorrect. So then it would get yanked. JAGKNIFE JAGKNIFE

If shipping to Canada just call it a "knife", "fixed blade", or "kitchen cutlery" - it may be inspected by customs but, unless illegal, should arrive without issue (though perhaps with additional tax or duties). I speak from experience as someone living in Canada.

This is from Jo the Machinist in Carothers Performance Knives Forum:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/announcements-things-you-might-need-to-know.1738545/

International Shipments

If anyone is waiting for an International package, I have received several back from US Customs. Even though I have always used the term "camping tool", someone in Customs (in Miami) has apparently decided that "camping tool" isn't specific enough. This started about 6 weeks ago. I currently have 3 packages here and am expecting at least one more to be returned to me. Until I get this figured out, I am going to send one out at a time and see what term will get the package to its destination country. If you are an International customer and want to buy a knife in the next little while, this will also affect you. I cannot send out multiple boxes repeatedly. Please be patient and we will get this figured out. If you have any suggestions, I am happy to hear them out. One of my customers, got a package from another maker just last week that said "camping tool", (shipped through UPS, not USPS) so I don't know if it is Customs or an internal USPS thing or why they are rejecting mine, but insufficient description is the reason I am getting for the returns. :(

Thank you!
Jo

There are many places in the states where it would be an illegal item.

As it is not dectable by metal detectors.

Yeesh, happy to not live in such places. I had never heard that there was such a requirement, but I can see that there would be some pretty anti-knife districts where this would be the case.

+1 here - same thing happened to me recently. I was shipping a bunch of budget folders to a friend in Australia (from the US). I got lazy and just labeled it as "6 camping tools" on the declaration. It got rejected by US Customs as insufficient.

I sent it a second time with a description like "1 Kershaw camping tool, blue; 1 CRJB camping tool, green", etc., and it got through fine - but that might all be in the luck of the draw of who's inspecting it.

What sucks is that USPS wouldn't refund me the $40 shipping fee to Australia, even though the package never made it to Australia :p. I was hoping for at least a partial refund, but oh well.

Here is an explanation of the unified customs numbering system worldwide. You won't find "camping tool" there. https://www.zoll.de/EN/Businesses/M...rance/Customs-Tariff/customs-tariff_node.html
Up until recently, the US Customs has been about the only major country in the world who has paid very little attention to more or less privately imported and exported goods. I understand that under President Trump that has and is changing as the US realized they were letting literally millions of $ in uncollected duties and taxes go unpaid.

Think about it, if you worked for Customs and saw "camping tool" on a package label, WTF is that? A tent? A portable stove? Hiking Boots? Right, it could be anything. And you'll be spending time on the shipment. And as a shipper, you're not fooling anyone with that BS, but you are likely to make the Customs folks mad. As far as theft is concerned, that's why they sell insurance.

So if what you're shipping is a knife, write "knife" on the label, and try and be as specific as possible, like Pocket Knife or folding knife or kitchen knife which will help the Customs agents assign the correct number and not delay the package. If you're trying to send an illegal product, well, I can't help you with that.

Back