Vest/Knife Question for Mick and Duane

SSN664,
Pat pretty much sumed things up. I've never switched panels on the SOE vest. We on I'm not going to say the "right" coast (Pat knows why) also only use the FSBE now. I wear my SOE vest for some range stuff , but that is it. Our guys wore the FSBE in the big nothing for both as well.

Vinnie

John,
depending on how much you work around water you might want to consider something that comes off when you want it to. A VA LEO came down to talk to me a while ago and he had a prototype FSBE that he used on his Tac team. It had a quick release system as well.
Not sure if you wear armor with your gear. Our new plates are a lot lighter than those of old. We also have a new floataion device which tends to get in the way, but can support all the gear we wear.

Vinnie

Vinnie, as long as you are here posting, whjy the hell did we have to drink all that Guniess all by ourselves at the Blade Show????? We sure missed you there man! :)

Rob,
Sorry brother. I wanted to be there, but my work schedule prevented me from attending. If only it were the weekend before, I was in Macon, GA for two weeks. I'm sorry I missed it. (I'm sure all my new friends here on the forum aren't) Not sure when I'll make it to another. Things have gotten real busy. I do have a new .45 to show you. You might have seen the pictures I posted. Getting another built right now. Well maybe at the next big show. You knife entry in the contest was great.

Vinnie

I dont think I seen the pictures Vinnie, where are they?

My entry was good, but when Mick pulled his out it was all over for the rest of us! :)

I understand about being busy, a lot of guys that stay incontact are slowlyfading out for a while! ;)

Hey…the gangs all here,
Hey guys. Sorry Im late to the party. Ive been driving around the fkn country.

Not that my input counts after Vince and Pat, but I wear an SOE force vest left panel and a SOE patrol vest right panel. The Zipper pocket on the Force right panel didn’t work for me. On the left side behind the mag pouches I mount a SAW box. It will hold seven M4 mags or a ton of shotgun. On the right I wear a SOE mask cover. I never carry a mask in it. I use it to carry my throwables. The only knife I carry on the vest is an SLCC on the shoulder (cool guy style).
I always wear my knife on my first line gear. I move it to wherever it fits, but usually either on the pistol belt just behind the pistol hanger, or on the holster leg strap.

Glad to see you all here.

Talk to you soon

Mick

Mick - Are you using a rigger's belt?

Considering ditching my Blackhawk and moving up to SOE patrol or force vest with extras pouches for a rangefinder, tools, and other stuff. SOE's dump bag solves lots of problems.

I've been thinking about doing the same - those extra pouches on the sides of the SOE vests would go a long way for misc. items.

I've been thinking about what you guys said regarding the Line 1 equipment and the such, and trying to figure out a way to rig my knife on my person. I don't have a drop holster (yet), and if I attach my knife to my pants belt, the sheath dangles along my leg and tends to get in the way, flop around, make an ass load of noise, and generally becomes a pain in the ass - especially when getting in & out of vehicles.

Any thoughts?

Phil

Mick,
Your opinon always counts brother. Sorry I missed you at blade heard it was a blast. Been busy. I can see carrying an SLCC on the vest. Well not my vest because I don't have an SLCC. Miss you brother.

Phil the SP,
Not sure what kind of knife you have or what kind of sheath you have, but the SOE sheath has a velcro lined loop near the bottom for a leg strap that will solve you moving around and making noise. Another solution is the kydex sheaths that Strider makes with the Tek-Lok attaching point. That makes little noise.
Be carefull with all the extra pockets. One tends to fill them very quick. Sometimes with stuff that is not needed, but because you have to pouch there you fill it.
I wear a drop pouch on my pistol belt in the back. I put all of my empties there. Now a bunch of empty mags in a pouch makes a lot of noise, but not as much as gun fire and of course the loadest sound on the battlefield. CLICK.
There are a million ways to skin a cat. You just need to find the one that works for you.

Vinnie

I dump mags in several different ways.
As a default, I use an empty buttpack. But I also have an off side sub-load drop pouch, as well as a pouch that I mount from the front of my vest. It kind of depends on how much ammo Im dragging around. If I have immediate re-supply (never), I carry less mags and have more space to stuff empties. A lot of people drop their mags on the ground when they have a trailer group to police them. Im a picky mag motherfker, I like to keep my own if I can. Nothing I hate worse than running out of ammo when I have a whole mag full of pain pills that I could send down range if only the mag would function. I personally don’t like the SOE drop pouch. Well… I love the pouch, just not as a drop pouch. I use them as mag pouches, but they are to small to work well as an M4 drop. You could only get one or two mags in there if they went in wrong. I use the SOE horizontal mask cover.

I don’t wear a riggers belt. It is too much for me to just hold up the pants. I use a regular belt to hold my pants. Then my first line is on a rigid duty belt. I use suspenders on this because it has the ability to hold 21 m4 mags if I need it to. If you guys want Ill shoot some photos of my current rig. I have run the gamut of this’s and that’s and have gone back to utility.

Vince makes a great point regarding noise discipline; nothing you can do is as loud as the mag you just sent down range. Never listen to the “your Velcro is to loud” weirdo’s. When the hornets are flying, no one ever says, “shhh…did you hear that?”

Gotta go knife now.

Mick

Thanks, Mick. Photos of your gear would be great! For those with no access to FSBE, SOE is a great alternative.

"When going forth for mayhem and slaughter, carry only magzines and water." :D How do you carry water?

I use a camel back on the vest.
If not that, then I stuff two-quart canteens into my side SAW pouches.

Ill work on the photos this weekend

m

Nice rig, Mr. Strider. Your picture answers a lot of questions about configuration and placement. May I ask what your typical load is? - GB

AH, theirs the EB Safariland SLS kydex knife rig that's been talked about in other posts. Thats really nice. If I get on to our SERT team, I might have to get one for my HT. Nice set up.
Thanks, Reagan

Now I know why I have only been able to acquire one SAW pouch in the last year: YOU have them all on your rig!!!:D

If you use the gas mask bag for a spent mag pouch, do you have the elastic slit opening on the top?

How many 30-round mags do you normally carry? After it gets dirty, black edge tape really isn't an issue. Sort of like velcro.

Thanks, Mick. Great pic.

On the vest Left to Right
Force panel with pistol mags mounted on front of M4 pouches.
SAW box
Butt pack
Horizontal mask cover
Patrol vest panel.

On line one belt, Left to Right
SAW box with pistol mags mounted on the front.
Sub-load attachment point. (cant see it).
SAW box
Butt pack
Knife
Pistol hanger
SAW box

Each SAW box will hold seven M4 mags or a TON of shotgun
I don’t drop mags into the mask cover shown. My drop pouch is not shown. The one shown is for carrying throwables.

There is a lot of sub-load stuff not shown.

The vest will hold 15 M4 mags. I usually load it with 13. I like to use one of the pouches to hold either a radio or a pistol. Sometimes misc. crap.

The line one will hold 21 M4 mags, but never does. Ill change this up depending on what is going on. A lot of times ill move ammo up or down from vest to belt.

Gotta run

Hope it helps

Mick

Back