VIDEO: Spyderco Manix 2 Hard Use test

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1xdJUhgwrWQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1xdJUhgwrWQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

In what real life situations do you think this kind of impact on the lock may happen?

I may imagine static negative pressure when blade is stuck in the wood and I am trying to free it pulling back - may be you may test for this as well somehow.

Thanks, Vassili.

In what real life situations do you think this kind of impact on the lock may happen?

I may imagine static negative pressure when blade is stuck in the wood and I am trying to free it pulling back - may be you may test for this as well somehow.

Thanks, Vassili.

If you drop the knife...

Really though that way that I do my spine whacks is to test the lock to make sure it's working correctly. It's not to make the lock fail, if it fails during my test then there is a problem.

I don't do those full power over the head hits. ;)

Yes, that seems fair. These are not tests to see how much force is required to break the knife. The spine whacks seem pretty hard, but within what I'd expect a good lock/knife to withstand.

I can't think of any real-life situations where I'd be giving the knife this kind of abuse, but it could be an indication that long-term heavy use, not abuse, would also cause the knife to fail. Middling short-term abuse can be a proxy for long-term use.

The cutting at the beginning of the test is especially interesting. It puts a lot of pressure on the pivot, and it loosened right up, probably contributing to the lock failure. The tip seemed to break off too easily.

To some extent, I don't really care. I don't like the Manix 2, but I love the Manix, which I would guess would pass this testing easily.

The Military, another favorite, might fail, especially the tip pry test, but I don't care because a thin tip is very useful. There is a strength trade off, but for me the extra utility of a pointy point outweighs the loss of strength. I don't see any extra utility in the Manix 2's tip to offset its quick breakage, but maybe it is tempered harder than the Grip and so the extra utility would be better edge holding. Don't know.

It seems iffy that the Military's liner lock would stand up well, but in normal use it does everything I need and it's easy to use.

The tests are interesting and fair, but not scientific. Still, it gives everyone some useful information that will be more relevant to some than others.

Tip snap is good. I can then use the knife as a standard screwdriver. :eek::thumbup:

I think there is a difference between impact and static pressure. Like glass can stand certain amount of pressure but got cracked with much smaller impact. This example may not directly related to this test, I just try to explain difference. Speed may make difference.

So if it is possible in your future tests - can you try, in addition to whacks, same but with static pressure applied?

Thanks, Vassili.

P.S. Test is pretty scientific to me. He do not have white robe and lab build around as it shown in Hollywood movies, but otherwise - same procedure applied to all three knives, results are recorded. What is not scientific with this? We may ask for better statistic representation, but this did not make it not scientific - just statistic representation is limited (as it is sometimes in biology).

Last edited:
I think there is a difference between impact and static pressure. Like glass can stand certain amount of pressure but got cracked with much smaller impact. This example may not directly related to this test, I just try to explain difference. Speed may make difference.

So if it is possible in your future tests - can you try, in addition to whacks, same but with static pressure applied?

Thanks, Vassili.

Sure. :)

That is if I get any more folders to test. :thumbup:

P.S. Test is pretty scientific to me. He do not have white robe and lab build around as it shown in Hollywood movies, but otherwise - same procedure applied to all three knives, results are recorded. What is not scientific with this? We may ask for better statistic representation, but this did not make it not scientific - just statistic representation is limited (as it is sometimes in biology).

I'm not being critical. It's a good, seat-of-the-pants test when resources are limited. But it's not scientific. The tests are not well controlled. The stresses and force of blows are not quantified and controlled. He could have hit a knot or twist in the grain with his stabs. There is only one knife of each type used. The Spyderco could have been defective. Unless the conditions are tightly controlled -- and statistically evaluated for random sampling error -- the conclusions we can draw are limited.

I say just get out the ol'e Mistress and do a chop up test between the two.:D Then we'll see how tough they really are. Great vids too Ank. :thumbup:

I'm not being critical. It's a good, seat-of-the-pants test when resources are limited. But it's not scientific. The tests are not well controlled. The stresses and force of blows are not quantified and controlled. He could have hit a knot or twist in the grain with his stabs. There is only one knife of each type used. The Spyderco could have been defective. Unless the conditions are tightly controlled -- and statistically evaluated for random sampling error -- the conclusions we can draw are limited.

I certainly agree that this test may be better in many ways - and anyone can came up with tons of suggestions, however it does not make it less scientific. But we may draw limited scientific conclusion.

Some parts of science were developed a lot - like Nuclear physics some not - like "Edge science". In terms of complexity as well as attention and budgets. So our science is on same level as Nuclear physics was over hundred years ago - Maria Curie age I would say, she just boil Radium ore in big pot and got Noble prize for that.

I considers it as very scientific an excited that we can really contribute it, until it became impossible and only huge budget labs will be able to move this science ahead.

Thanks, Vassili.

I think the test was fair as to what might be encountered in a survival/camping situation. I know he didn't mention the A L from Cold Steel but if my life depended on a folder to survive the CS would be it for me. Also as for scientific there is nothing really scientific about it imho. He did pretty much the same test for the CS as for the Mannix2, one failed and one passed with flying colors. I know folks here will say this and that about the tests not being scientific etc. etc. But Ankerson presents both knives in very similar situations with the same type of prying, batoning and cutting. One failed one didn't. I know if I had a choice which one I would pick if I knew that was the only folder I was going to have on me when in a tough survival situation. keepem sharp

One thing seems to be clear some people are convinced that the Manix 2 tested was not flawed.

I have to disagree I can't see a lock of that design failing so easily and anyone else who has seen the ball bearing lock taken apart caged or otherwise should come to the same conclusion, that the Manix 2 used in Ankerson's tests was defective in some way.

The only thing I can think of is either it had early lockup or something prevented the ball bearing from sliding all the way to fully engage the lock and in the final phase (the off camera tests) the ball may be prevented from sliding all the way in the opposite direction to unlock it.

It did have "early lockup". Ankerson posted photos in the thread in General. I don't think it's really a flaw though. Lots of Manixes come like that. I believe VashHash over at the Spyderco forum (perhaps it was someone else) previously said that his Manix2's lock got adjusted to seat forward like Ankerson's did, only one blew up and one didn't.

ANOTHER TEST RESULT, quite different outcome

The hard use test that Ankerson did was more complete, starting with the cutting, which he said puts a lot of strain on the lock and pivot.

Just the spine whacking alone doesn't do that.

Also, it seems to me that Ankerson whacked a bit harder... maybe I'm wrong on that score.

Perhaps Ankerson also had a poor example of the knife. I'd expect that Spyderco would want to get another one in his hands for a second test, one that hopefully would see the Manix 2 come through with flying colors.

I think there is another member tested the M2 stabbing into a steel car hood 50 times without chipping or lock fail of any sort, but I can't seem to locate the video unfortunately. Ankerson's testing is the only 1 I have seen with a lock failure so far :eek:

I think there is another member tested the M2 stabbing into a steel car hood 50 times without chipping or lock fail of any sort, but I can't seem to locate the video unfortunately. Ankerson's testing is the only 1 I have seen with a lock failure so far :eek:

That may well be the case. If I were in Spyderco's shoes I'd make sure he got a good one to test that would be excellent.

To me, this is just a reminder that a folder - - even a good one - - isn't a fixed blade. If I'm in the woods, I make it a point to carry a fixed blade with me for the toughest jobs. A folder is a bonus, and for around town. - - -

To me, this is just a reminder that a folder - - even a good one - - isn't a fixed blade. If I'm in the woods, I make it a point to carry a fixed blade with me for the toughest jobs. A folder is a bonus, and for around town. - - -

yeah, yeah. :yawn:

Back