Vietnam era SOG on Ebay

Has anyone seen it? Could it be real? I was thinking there are only a few of them left. The prices seems very low if it is only one of a very few.

The item number is: 160055605337

It looks real but I'm not an expert and it could certainly be a really good repro but thats a little unlikely as they all have some distinguishing mark...The price is knida low and its weird to see this on ebay... still a mystery

I'm looking at it, the price at 6:30pm SoCal time is $2,035, and "reserve" isn't met.
It's gonna be a pricey one, and way beyond my price point.

Cheers,

Carl

Even if it IS real, just look at it. :rolleyes:

It looks like a Pakistani made knock-off copy of a current SOG bowie.

Okay, this one may have some genuine Vee-yet-nam history behind it, but a crude knife is a crude knife.

What are buyers getting for their money? A wall hanger momento given to Special Forces soldiers AFTER they'd served? If it was a presentation piece (likely, since it has the crest on it), it hasn't even "seen combat". And even if it had, so? Police evidence rooms are full of knives that were used to kill people. Nothing special about that.

A modern-made SOG "replica" is a thousand times better.

what does he mean by "blood red blade" and "well engraved" engraved with what?

If I'm not mistaken SOG copied the vietnam seal knife, they didn't manufacture it. I think the SOG trident is the intended copy of the vietnam era knife. No SOG's were USmil issue combat knives for Vietnam. SOG is named after the group that designed the SEAL knife, not the original group, and not the original makers--right?

The Studies and Observation Group was authorized to order their own knives. I believe they was originally made by Randall, I think he made 50 knives. They was issued to the members of the group. While not a common Military issue, it was not uncommon to carry a personal choice knife. I personally carried a Gerber Mark II.

If I remember there are only a handful of these original knives left. They could account for all but about four or five. I wondered if this might be one of the unaccounted for knives. Or was it a later knife presented to this Major. I was hoping to find someone that knew for sure. My memory is not what it use to be.

Found part of what I was looking for:

Iron Guard Presentation SOG--Both the guard and pommel are cast iron and will sometimes have a redish tint. The leather handle has the white plastic spacers set one spacer in. The blade is a mixture of plum and blue. It is engraved with the Special Forces Crest and "5TH SPECIAL FORCES GROUP (ABN) / VIETNAM".

Not sure how many was made or presented, but it was not the model I was thinking it was.

Some reading material under the heading of SOG KNIVES
-http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/knife_knotes_7.htm
Picture references of actual SOG knives (amongst other genuine war knives of various periods)
-http://www.militaryfightingknives.com/collection.html

From farther research it seems I had some very wrong information.

Thank you GIRLYmann for your reference material.

clt46910; We're all learning as we go along here. That's what's so great about the "web", loads of information for the picking. And in an instant too, unlike reading it up of times past on printed matter. But this is not to say that books are an outdated method of research and information. On the contrary, there's much to be "rediscovered" in generally out-of-print and old books. Specifically, "facts in text" which more often than not are lost in time, getting repeatedly changed or requoted partially through 3rd party transcripts. Only, don't stake your life on everything you read either in books or on line, except those from genuine bladed experts who stake their reputation and make a living on their works. BTW, the Nam SOG blades are pricy because of "war tales" which don't ever seem die.

Looks like it sold for a mere $2,555.00.

Let's see...

For that kind of money the lucky winner could have bought eight SOG S1C bowies for $319.95 a piece.

That's a heck of a lot for a bunch of "war stories".

...I'ld say!
An it wouldn't be too long before we'd hear something like, "...There was this vet I knew once who carried a whole bunch of genuine SOG Knives into AfRAQ. And he's putting it up for sale..."

I'd rather have a new knife anyway, unless there was some personal attachment to the soldier who carried it. A marine friend of mine has a gurka that his dad took at Guadalcanal. He has it in a frame with a picture of his dad and his buddies at the time. That kind of thing would have meaning to me. Paying thousands on ebay for some stranger's knife doesnt have much appeal....although if i had money to burn maybe i'd think different.

I have a trident II and its a real beauty. It was about $120. The commerative Vietnam knives, at $300+, are nice, but i'd worry about the bluing on the blade. Never thought much about buying a knife I'd never be willing to use.

All things considered the real deal Nam era SOG knives weren't THE BEST KNIVES ever made. But they were carried by some of THE BEST MEN who ever lived to tell the tale! Most of these knives didn't survive the war for one good reason, in that they rusted! Second, who in his right mind would return such a beautiful bowie when compared to a Navy Mk 2 (kbar)? Third, most vets treasure wartime momentos. That's why there will always be an ever ready market for repros or replicas of that certain "special military knife".

Back