Waiting for Buck Knives to start up in Post Falls...

California’s loss will be just about everybody’s gain when Buck opens their new plant in nearby Post Falls in a few weeks, and it is my fervent hope to be among the hundred and fifty new employees to be selected to work there. I can imagine few more proud occupations than helping to create the very knives I grew up with and still carry daily.

Odds are not particularly favorable, however, as the local Coeur d’Alene Job Service is in charge of collecting resumes, and one of their more important (than me) caste members assured me in classic I-Might-Be-Public-But-I-Sure-Ain’t-a-Servant manner that it is the only possible way to apply for employment with Buck, unless I huddle on their doorstep in my sleeping bag and stake out CJ Buck for a few weeks.

When major employers start up in this area (and many do - for the same reasons Buck did), the worker bees at the Job Service employment office sift through what is typically thousands of resumes, then present their choices of candidates to the employer. I can only hope the folks at Buck have given them decent guidelines of who they should be looking for, else I am afraid Job Service’s selections may resemble the last batch of trainees they recently delivered to my place of employment. The less said about pierced-eyebrow, nose, -lips and -try not to think about what else, 19 year-old hip-hop rapper wannabes who got fired from their last three jobs, the better.

Hmph. I worry too much. Surely the folks at Buck know what they are doing, and even if I am not destined to live happily ever after as a Made in the USA Buck Knife-Maker, I will at least get to watch Buck begin a new chapter in its history by taking back production of most of its knives from the Asian continent, and I can go back to training people who can’t read or spell and don’t “dig” work how to multi-task on a computer, and everything will be fine. Really, it will.

....now, where did I put that sleeping bag?

- JP

110 Dave

Gold Member
whish buck had consitered or chose west virginia!!! you guys so lucky there to get buck... cal got what they deserved with their laws and such.... buck realy did wate to long to bail out ... i wont buy a made in some were other then usa buck at all ... if it is not usa made i may as well buy real real cheap .... why spend on other workers ?

>"at least get to watch Buck begin a new chapter in its history by taking back production of most of its knives from the Asian continent"

=========================

Man, I'd like to think this will happen. But I wouldn't hold your breath. :( Something tells me the trend will be to see more -- not fewer -- Bucks made in the Far East.

JP, I am the person responcible for relocating the Buck Facility to Idaho and ultimatly the hiring of the new employees, so needles to say I was interested in your comments. As you stated we are using the Job Service in CDA as you stated in your email we are expecting to receive thousands or resummes for the new facility, as you can imagine this is a major project and we do not have the resources to screen through all of these applicants this is why Buck and many other companies use services such as the department of commerce and labor.

I will assure you that very detailed direction is being given to the job service for the screening procees and this is being overseen by out HR manager who we hired from the local area, also all final interveiws and hiring will be conducted by a team from Buck knives. In short we feel very comfortble with the process and look forward to the move up North.

Seeing as you might freeze to death sleeping in the snow waiting to locate CJ I would offer you the option of sending me your Resumme and I will make sure it gets to our HR manager. Phil Duckett Buck knives INC 1900 weld blvd El Cajon Ca 92020

The first time Mr Buck called me (Chuck Sr), we talked for quite some time, and one of the things I asked him was: "Why are you still in California?"

Having moved from there in 1971 because, IMHO, the madness was irreversible, I wondered why anyone would want to have a manufacturing plant in the middle of the highest taxes and utilities in the nation. Of course I understand that he didnt start out in El Cajon back (when I was in diapers) with the prices the way they are now...............

His reply: "Funny you should ask that, as we are already planning on moving to Idaho soon!"

Good for them............I cant wait to show up at Pauls house and go hunting!!! :D :p :D

Phil: Good to see you here on the Buck Forum, Maybe you could keep these great Buck knives people updated on whats going on up in Idaho, Maybe some picturs of our great new facilities. Tom you will always be welcome . Paul Bos

Damn it Buck, I just moved to San Diego! I was hoping to get a tour of your facility, but I'm assuming time for that has past. Good luck at Post Falls, I've always loved your knives.

-Dan

Dan: They are still giveing tours, till the 18th. of Nov. Buck Knives Sale Nov. 19th. And 20th. Paul Bos. :D

You can bet I'll make time for it next week then, and I'll be at that sale for sure. Thanks for the response!

-Dan

Yes we will have someone else doing the screening but once the applicants make it to me, I have a list of questions which i know will guarantee the proper employees for the departments i oversee:

1)Do you hunt Elk?
2)Will you take me to your favorite Elk hunting spot?
3)Whats the biggest bull taken from this spot? (This is an important question)

1)Do you hunt Turkey?
2)Will you ect...
3)Whats the ect...

1)Deer...

:D :D :D

This is really great! I moved from San Diego back in 1984 regretting that I never took the opportunity to tour the Buck factory. I now live in Yakima, Washington, just a hop skip and a jump from the new location. Sounds like a great basis for a weekend excursion!

Cheap labor is what it's all about to corporate america, and a good image. It' looks real good for Buck to open a new facility in Idaho, 140 or so jobs for Americans. $7.00 an hour is less than poverty level for a family of 2 in America. Rent is the same here $400.00 for a shithole. Gas is $2.15 a gallon.
No discount on property taxes for Bucks employees. Bucks employees still have to pay top dollar for utilities. So a little over $200.00 per week is no gift from Buck. And the suckers that left California to follow Buck to Idaho will have a big surprise, there are almost no worker's comp benefits here and unemployment insurance is a joke. Buck coming here insults a real AMERICAN.

How proud you must be bringing 140 or so lower than poverty level paying jobs to Post Falls. Buck gets the tax breaks, the lower utilities, pays almost nothing into workers compensation and unemployment insurance. And give us $7.00 an hour, real white of you. We were counting on American competative wages not wages that are comparable to Tiawans.

ShivSam said:
How proud you must be bringing 140 or so lower than poverty level paying jobs to Post Falls. Buck gets the tax breaks, the lower utilities, pays almost nothing into workers compensation and unemployment insurance. And give us $7.00 an hour, real white of you. We were counting on American competative wages not wages that are comparable to Tiawans.

Nice racial comment. There are plenty of "non-white" REAL AMERICANS who have given their life to defend YOU and this country. This society allows those who excell to earn more. Unless you have a high paying skill to begin with, you have to learn one. Buck isn't offering "gifts", but jobs to hard working Americans, who want to learn a trade and excell. Those that do will have opportunities they didn't have before.

-Josh

Like I said in the other thread,

The military is always hiring.

A PFC in Fallujah right now is making far less than $7.00 an hour, plus the added benefit of possibly getting killed.

www.marines.com

ShivSam said:
Cheap labor is what it's all about to corporate america, and a good image. It' looks real good for Buck to open a new facility in Idaho, 140 or so jobs for Americans. $7.00 an hour is less than poverty level for a family of 2 in America. Rent is the same here $400.00 for a shithole. Gas is $2.15 a gallon.
No discount on property taxes for Bucks employees. Bucks employees still have to pay top dollar for utilities. So a little over $200.00 per week is no gift from Buck. And the suckers that left California to follow Buck to Idaho will have a big surprise, there are almost no worker's comp benefits here and unemployment insurance is a joke. Buck coming here insults a real AMERICAN.
Nobody is twisting their arm to work for Buck. Last time I checked we had a free economy. If you don't like the pay or the job, then quit, or better yet, don't take the job in the first place.

This post edited by Joe Houser, 11/18/04

Shiv,

In your posts you managed to insult just about everybody I know, employed at Buck or not.

Joe Houser

This is getting funny.

Hey if you don't like the job, don't apply. I am sure with your positive attitude you can find gainful employment to your liking.

Take care,

Josh (AKA Stupid Jarhead)

J Rummerfield said:
This is getting funny.

Hey if you don't like the job, don't apply. I am sure with your positive attitude you can find gainful employment to your liking.

Take care,

Josh (AKA Stupid Jarhead)

Maybe he should go put in an application at Schrade............. ;)