walmart survival kit

Walmart is actually the easiest place for most people to find fatwood. Now if only they had tinder fungus.

I have one question, and one comment.
1. Why? seriously..just wondering.
2. I am against supporting Walmart. I know that this is borderline political, but I have to say...walmart killed small town america. Amongst other forces...but I wouldnt shop there, at gunpoint.
Just my 2 cents, I will get off my soap box now...and sorry, I understand your thread is interesting, but there are so many American companies you could spend your hard earned money with.

As for why, ( even though I'm not doing this I do have a good reason for it to be done) I think this is a great idea because we have a lot of younger members who can't afford custom knives ( I only have two customs because they were given to me through great threads on this site) and things like pelican boxes etc. However, if they see someone do this and realize the potential of items at their local walmart then perhaps they can go get items a little at a time and they can start to learn with cheap stuff until they can afford the nice gear.

As for ideas of items.

My local wal mart has

waterproof bag set (3) for 10 bucks
fatwood ( I think 10lbs for about 8 bucks)
Jute twine ( <2 bucks)
fox 40 whistles ( not sure of price)
space blankets ( 1.98 I think)
coleman firestarters that strike on box ( 3 bucks)
cotton balls
Petroleum Jelly
Hand sanitizer
Unlubricated condoms
bic lighters
magnesium firestarter blocks
clear plastic waterproof cases
ziploc bags
canteens
knives ( I got a buck medium stockman for 10 bucks, not to mention filet and kitchen knives all very cheap)
ponchos
first aid kits
folding saws ( I got mine from there for less than 10 bucks and it's worked for me for 2+ yrs)
hatchets
Choke tube pouch ( about 6 bucks makes an excellent get back kit to go on a belt)
Compass ( not the best in the world but surely better than nothing)

I've listed so much I'm not sure what I've missed but I think this is a great idea and I applaud you for doing it.

David

The worst gear at Walmart that you have with you in "the situation" (in car, backpack or boat) is much better than the best gear you have at home.

One point of contention--Wal*Mart machetes would be considered as toys if it weren't for the fact that they were dangerous to the user. The blades are low quality sheet metal with about as much hardness as a piece of well-cooked linguini, and the handle scales are insubstantial low-grade hollow plastic that will bust off the instant you look at it wrong.:barf::barf::barf:

The Buck 119, SAK, and Leatherman are all sound choices though. :D

one near me has the gerber gator, its no condor but its a nice machete!

i am not gonna lie. i buy alot of my stuff from walmart. 85 cent poncho's, water purifying tabs 5 bucks, emergency blankets 1.50, i mean they have everything and its in stock then and its cheap and works. i like to support more local stores but when i can get stuff for 3-5 bucks cheaper at walmart in this economy i have to take it. and i add that saved money up and buy sweet custom knives from the makers here :)

2. I am against supporting Walmart. I know that this is borderline political, but I have to say...walmart killed small town america. Amongst other forces...but I wouldnt shop there, at gunpoint.
Just my 2 cents, I will get off my soap box now...and sorry, I understand your thread is interesting, but there are so many American companies you could spend your hard earned money with.

I don't care for Wal-Mart as a whole. I've seen too many good family run businesses fall to their buying power to like them. But...I'm not sure how it is where you live but things have changed in my area a lot since the wal-mart opened. There were two grocery stores here, one Food Lion and one Bi-Lo, and then a K-Mart. The K-Mart had been here more than 30 years that I could remember for sure. The food lion had been here for 17 years, had lower prices and catered mostly to the not so wealthy, and the Bi-Lo, which has been here as long as i can remember sports an awesome meat and seafood dept with everything you can imagine, and caters primarily to the money on Signal Mountain. I personally shopped mainly at food lion for the better prices and then got my meats at the bi-lo....got my dept store goods and lawn and garden needs at K-Mart. Then along came wal-mart....in less than two years the food lion closed, a year later the k-mart was gone...and bi-lo, losing money, is depending mainly on the affluent people of Signal Mountain has increased their prices on average of 40 percent and by as much as sixty percent on some things. Now the only people who shop there are those with really good paying jobs and senior citizens who have been shopping there since it was the only grocery store in this immediate area. The next closest store is another Bi-Lo 5 miles away and then another Food Lion another 3 or 4 miles and several red lights beyond that....and another two Wal-marts are scheduled to be built here. This thread is of interest to me because I think wal-mart will eventually be all we have left.

Cheapskate. Spend a little more on the lubricated variety. You'll be much more popular.

Actually, I spent my money wisely and got my wife an IUD so I don't use them at all for that. However, I've found that the lubricated ones make my water taste bad so I'll stick with the unlubed ones. However, I am a cheapskate, so you got me on that one.

David

Did anyone mention Bandaids, Asprin/Tylenol, Aluminum Foil, Large Garbage Bags? Oh, and Soap?

I was expecting this to be thread about surviving a trip to Walmart.

That could be a thread all on it's own ! Man most of the people that shop at my nearest Wally world are like the walking dead, they should rename it Zombie land ! If ya in a rush there is no way you are gonna pass them, you go to the right they go to the right, you go left they go left !!!!:mad:

And when ya finally get to the checkouts they are all 30 deep with a learner on the till !:eek:

My local wal mart has

waterproof bag set (3) for 10 bucks
fatwood ( I think 10lbs for about 8 bucks)
Unlubricated condoms

David

That does seem like it would be handy for more than one task:cool:

I've never thought of that before, but good idea!

Not for nuthin but Walmart is an American company that employs a TON of Americans...just sayin.

one near me has the gerber gator, its no condor but its a nice machete!

I bought oone of those and it was retard dull. Seriously, literally no edge at all...good maybe for cracking coconut before I put an edge on it.

rofl-that would require another subforum....:D

Nah...just go here: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Kind of a cool idea the walmart survival kit.I recently purchased a couple fox40 s at walmart on clearance ,I had been wanting one for my BOB and there they had some for $2.50 each, my only problem was I wanted orange and they only had black but who cares really .I don`t know how widespread the menards chain is but in my area (central MI) they have fatwood in a 4lb bag for around $3.00.

Back