1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Want to buy my first Bowie!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by steve-in-kville, Aug 2, 2020.

1. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Dec 25, 2001
    Classic or contemporary, budget of $150-ish. Must have a sheath. My inner Crocodile Dundee is calling. Suggestions, please?

2. Wurger190

Wurger190 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2014
  3. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    well, it may not be what you have
    in mind but these two as a package
    will work very hard to please...

4. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    Cold Steel Frontier Bowie, $120 most places. Probably as classic as it gets.

upload_2020-8-2_10-58-18.jpeg

5. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I have the Condor Moonshiner and Condor makes other including a coffin type bowie. Most everything is under $100.

6. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    The Buck 124 is a real nice knife with a great sheath.

Lee D likes this.
  7. ggw

ggw

Feb 13, 2018
    Western Bowie W49

Lee D likes this.
  8. steelhog

steelhog

Jul 2, 2009
    I had been on a Jesse Hemphill kick as of late. He has a few Bowie style knives that are absolutely fantastic (made by bark river). I believe he is now retired or out of the knife game but you can snag some of his designs for crazy low prices right now. If the blades were stamped BRK and not Jesse Hemphill they would be 2x+ the cost.

9. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    IMG_0351.JPG Becker BK9. Replace the scales with micarta ones and it will feel like a different knife....if do not want that big, try the BK7 with micarta scales too. If you want a smaller bowie to be more practical, I recommend Idaho Knife works by Mike Mann. More than your budget sorry but had to show since I got it for about your budget. Check out the exchange.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  10. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    I’ll second this.

bigsurbob, rick melear and Roy Batty like this.
  11. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Look at cold steel too, I like the drop Forged survivalist Bowie.

12. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    If you can find one of the old CarbonV Cold Steel Trailmasters, they're one of my favorites. I've beat on one for years.--KV

rick melear likes this.
  13. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    TOPS, Prather War Bowie, $165-ish
    Condor, Operator Bowie, $110-ish

14. deadzonepatrol

deadzonepatrol

Apr 11, 2019
    Cold Steel Laredo, Natchez are classic fighters. Trailmaster is more for hard use. Or if you'll be using it very hard in the woods, TOPS Steel Eagle. Almost any large TOPS knife, for that matter.

15. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    All great suggestions so far.

I have always admired the Buck 120 and how timeless they look.

The SP10 Ontario is inexpensive and fun to mess around with.

The Becker BK9 is a great all around performer, and still a great value.

Tops Bowie is a fun design and has a higher level of fit and finish than the Ontario and Kabar.

bigsurbob likes this.
  16. jideta

jideta Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2020
    For my Bowie I wanted something traditional and more vintage. I searched that auction place until I found a nice Solingen Bowie:

DSC_2786.jpg

It's a big knife, 13" OAL and probably 1/4" thick. Most Solingen Bowies are pretty stout. I had to clean it up some but I'm happy I went this way instead of contemporary. Set me back only $80.
    Sheffield Bowies are a bit more in cost. Puma makes a nice one but expensive.
    You may want to check vintage Marbles, Western, Imperial, etc.

17. rick melear

rick melear Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Cold Steel

18. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I didn’t see where you specified what you were going to use it for? With hundreds of different models to choose from; wall hangers, fighters, users, traditionally made, modern made, etc., it really helps to know a bit more.

cbach8tw likes this.
  19. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Dec 25, 2001
    Just took delivery of the Condor Moonshiner. Gonna take advantage of the carbon blade and patina the daylights out of it. Just holding it is a pleasure. Pure beast mode.

Will be looking for another, for sure.

20. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Prather. Feels good in hand. Like the knife with paint stripped though. 20200515_215217.jpg 20200515_215304.jpg

Mick Boardman likes this.