Want to buy my first Bowie!

Classic or contemporary, budget of $150-ish. Must have a sheath. My inner Crocodile Dundee is calling. Suggestions, please?

I have the Condor Moonshiner and Condor makes other including a coffin type bowie. Most everything is under $100.

I had been on a Jesse Hemphill kick as of late. He has a few Bowie style knives that are absolutely fantastic (made by bark river). I believe he is now retired or out of the knife game but you can snag some of his designs for crazy low prices right now. If the blades were stamped BRK and not Jesse Hemphill they would be 2x+ the cost.

IMG_0351.JPG Becker BK9. Replace the scales with micarta ones and it will feel like a different knife....if do not want that big, try the BK7 with micarta scales too. If you want a smaller bowie to be more practical, I recommend Idaho Knife works by Mike Mann. More than your budget sorry but had to show since I got it for about your budget. Check out the exchange.

Last edited:
Look at cold steel too, I like the drop Forged survivalist Bowie.

If you can find one of the old CarbonV Cold Steel Trailmasters, they're one of my favorites. I've beat on one for years.--KV

Cold Steel Laredo, Natchez are classic fighters. Trailmaster is more for hard use. Or if you'll be using it very hard in the woods, TOPS Steel Eagle. Almost any large TOPS knife, for that matter.

All great suggestions so far.

I have always admired the Buck 120 and how timeless they look.

The SP10 Ontario is inexpensive and fun to mess around with.

The Becker BK9 is a great all around performer, and still a great value.

Tops Bowie is a fun design and has a higher level of fit and finish than the Ontario and Kabar.

For my Bowie I wanted something traditional and more vintage. I searched that auction place until I found a nice Solingen Bowie:

DSC_2786.jpg

It's a big knife, 13" OAL and probably 1/4" thick. Most Solingen Bowies are pretty stout. I had to clean it up some but I'm happy I went this way instead of contemporary. Set me back only $80.
Sheffield Bowies are a bit more in cost. Puma makes a nice one but expensive.
You may want to check vintage Marbles, Western, Imperial, etc.

I didn’t see where you specified what you were going to use it for? With hundreds of different models to choose from; wall hangers, fighters, users, traditionally made, modern made, etc., it really helps to know a bit more.

Just took delivery of the Condor Moonshiner. Gonna take advantage of the carbon blade and patina the daylights out of it. Just holding it is a pleasure. Pure beast mode.

Will be looking for another, for sure.

Back