Want to get a new toy...what do you HOGS think?

For a while now i've been wanting to get a new toy. It's sort of a present to myself for working so hard all summer before school starts. Last year I decided on a Smith and Wesson Model 60 Pro. This year I was thinking a pistol, in particular the SIG P226. This had been my one desire all summer up until a week ago, when the thought of getting a crossbow popped in!) Before any crossbow bashing starts, let me say that I've had shoulder issues pretty much my entire life, and a compound bow just doesn't seem possible.) My thought process for leaning towards a crossbow is that it drastically increases the amount of time in the woods hunting (archery season runs Sept 15-Nov 24, and then Jan 14-26, as opposed to Nov 26-Dec 8 for rifle).

So, what do you Hogs think?! If your vote goes toward the crossbow, feel free to offer suggestions. I have no preference on compound vs recurve other than the fact that restringing is more expensive for compounds?

If you decide on a crossbow check out Skorpyd. Very unconventional but amazing. I got one last year just cause I have to try out all the newest coolest stuff. This thing is the real deal. Held consistant groups of under 3 inches at 80 yards while practicing. Took it out hunting one day and took a nice sized doe at 70 yards with no problem.

Garth

Which do you prefer -- the smell of cordite or the recoil of a bowstring?:)

Either way, it's marksmanship. A very manly thing.:thumbup:

Doesn't it take plenty of force to draw a crossbow? I've never been a fan of the fact that you have to carry a small target with you to "unload/cock" your crossbow. But... if its the only thing that gets you in the woods for bow hunting, I say go for it. I'm counting the days until fall bow.

I had shoulder surgery in 2011 and decided on a Crossbow instead of compound only due to the "what if's" after I spend $800 + on a nice Matthews and I had issues drawing it, for me the crossbow was a no brainer. I went with a Tenpoint Turbo II. No worries on your shoulders as most come with a cranking system, TP has the Accudraw, only 1.5 lbs or less of pressure to crank until cocked, super easy. I just installed the new TP string stop and bowjax kit.
Like Garth said the SCORPYD crossbow's are incredible.
Get the crossbow.
Either way Good luck to you.........here is a few pics of mine.......quiet, fast, tight groups, cant wait until October 15th :thumbup:
IMG_8074.jpg

IMG_8080.jpg

BrownTrout2021.jpg

BrownTrout2025.jpg

IMG_8360.jpg

IMG_8362.jpg

Here's a pic of the Skorpyd with the doe it took. Made a clean pass through and buried the bolt into a tree.

Crossbow1-1.jpg

Like I said it is a pretty different design, but awesome. These things have amazing power and accuracy.

Garth

I'm big into handguns, so I'd say go with a Sig P226 Combat with a threaded barrel :D

But, if you're looking at crossbows, check out the PSE Tac 15 (let it be known, for bows, I'm a Hoyt person thru and thru). A guy I work with has one, fits on top of an AR lower. He says it's just one nasty hunting tool.

These are perfectly nice ideas for a gift to oneself, but really, nothing compares to a giant slab of INFI.

Get yourself a MOAB and be done with it...

MOABBatonning06.jpg

I'm big into handguns, so I'd say go with a Sig P226 Combat with a threaded barrel :D

But, if you're looking at crossbows, check out the PSE Tac 15 (let it be known, for bows, I'm a Hoyt person thru and thru). A guy I work with has one, fits on top of an AR lower. He says it's just one nasty hunting tool.

Bit expensive, but the Ed Brown Special Forces .45 is considerably sweeter than the Sig. Had both, fired both ... lots ... kept the Brown.

Geesh...those are all beautiful suggestions. Unfortunately, they're a tad out of my price range (which one have been useful in the original post). I've never seen or even heard of SCORPYD. They sure do have an innovative design. Do they have any cheaper models that you know of? The special forces is a beautiful gun, OP. I liked the SIG Enhanced Elite, and could get a good deal on it because my friend owns a gun website so can but them at wholesale price.

And the MOAB, well, its beauty speaks for itself.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. Please keep them coming!

Well, if you're planning on carrying it concealed, i'd probably go with the Sig (over the crossbow). Though the verdict is still out on that.

;)

ahem... cough 1911 cough.

Lol nahhh don't really have to carry it concealed. The only time I carry my .357 is at my camp

As Garth said, the Skorpyd is an awesome bow. I personally chose to go with a parker tornado, but it was down to those two. I chose the parker simply because i liked the way it shot slightly better, but they are both incredibly well made.

Either way, with the right draw string, they are very easy to cock, and take less than 10 seconds to fire, draw, nock an arrow and shoulder again.

As handguns go, Sig is top of the heap, although i genuinely cannot stand the ergos. I'm a Glock man. I've owned a half dozen or so Sigs, and find them to be utterly reliable, and an excellent platform for a suppressor if you decide that's your thing.

I love that Skorpyd- is the balance as good as it looks like it would be?

A Sig P226 IMHO is much too practical to be considered a "toy". Kidding aside when it comes to Crossbows I'm a bit of a novice and use a cheapo Horton Tacoma Trac-150 the flings arrows at a measly 260 FPS. While not anything to right home about it filled the freezer last year and is slowly paying for itself. My dream Crossbow would be a Excaliber Ibex. While they aren't just super fast (but very respectable) like all recurves they have the element of reliability and easy string changes. As far as firearms go the Sig would be an excellent pistol but I'd look around and make for certain it's the one. Other fun 9's to consider are the CZ-75, Browning Hi-power and S&W M&P 9 also if you don't have a Glock 17 or 19 they can take readily available 33 shot magazines that will put a grin on just about anybody's face.

Bit expensive, but the Ed Brown Special Forces .45 is considerably sweeter than the Sig. Had both, fired both ... lots ... kept the Brown.

I have both, and you are definitely right on here. I have the Sig 220, 225, 226ST, 2340, X5 and 210 and the Brown Kobra Carry and Special Forces. If I had to sell them, the Sigs would definitely go long before the Browns.

A Sig P226 IMHO is much too practical to be considered a "toy". Kidding aside when it comes to Crossbows I'm a bit of a novice and use a cheapo Horton Tacoma Trac-150 the flings arrows at a measly 260 FPS. While not anything to right home about it filled the freezer last year and is slowly paying for itself. My dream Crossbow would be a Excaliber Ibex. While they aren't just super fast (but very respectable) like all recurves they have the element of reliability and easy string changes. As far as firearms go the Sig would be an excellent pistol but I'd look around and make for certain it's the one. Other fun 9's to consider are the CZ-75, Browning Hi-power and S&W M&P 9 also if you don't have a Glock 17 or 19 they can take readily available 33 shot magazines that will put a grin on just about anybody's face.

Actually, a lot of those guns were on my gun list the first time around! I especially liked the CZ's. A contacted a local "expert" on crossbows who is selling a used Excal Exomax with everything included for 549, and think that may be my best bet. He also suggested the Wicket Ridge brand, owned by TenPoint.

I have both, and you are definitely right on here. I have the Sig 220, 225, 226ST, 2340, X5 and 210 and the Brown Kobra Carry and Special Forces. If I had to sell them, the Sigs would definitely go long before the Browns.

These will have to wait for me to get a big boy job, lol

Probably sweeter, but Sigs (especially 9mm) are great to stick a suppressor on compared to a 1911 :D

Back